Old 15-10-2008, 12:14 AM
Registered User

Question Blueberries - HELP

Hello,

As a novice gardener (an overstatement at that) I am looking for some advice. It is my mother's birthday in early december and I am looking to buy her a blueberry plant. I need some advice on which variety to buy, when to buy it as I will need to look after it for a short while, and where to buy it from.

I live in the UK and December can be a pretty bleak time. Is it wise to buy a blueberry plant then? I don't want to look after it for too long as my Mother is the expert and not me (it will be a shadow of itself if I have it for too long unfortunately).

Is it wise to order it mail-order? What is a good price? I heard they grow best if two varieties are planted together - can anyone verify this?

I'd be so grateful for any advice!

Thanks
Old 15-10-2008, 03:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Blueberries - HELP

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 00:14:00 +0100, JubJub wrote:

Hello,

As a novice gardener (an overstatement at that) I am looking for some
advice. It is my mother's birthday in early december and I am looking to
buy her a blueberry plant. I need some advice on which variety to buy,
when to buy it as I will need to look after it for a short while, and
where to buy it from.

I live in the UK and December can be a pretty bleak time. Is it wise to
buy a blueberry plant then? I don't want to look after it for too long
as my Mother is the expert and not me (it will be a shadow of itself if
I have it for too long unfortunately).

Is it wise to order it mail-order? What is a good price? I heard they
grow best if two varieties are planted together - can anyone verify
this?

I'd be so grateful for any advice!

Thanks

Here in New England you would plant blueberry bushes in May. They need
acid soil and they take a few years before they start producing. I've had
my best results from high bush blueberries.