Old 08-11-2008, 11:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Cherry trees

Has anyone grown cherry trees from seeds and then grafted onto the root
stock?

Any advice, comments?

Old 11-11-2008, 07:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

FarmI wrote:
Has anyone grown cherry trees from seeds and then grafted onto the root
stock?

Any advice, comments?

Why would you want to do that? I can guess because the seeds (really
pits) happen to be handy. There is always the problem of growing any
fruit tree from a seed. Genetically, you will not get the same fruit
like the one the seed is taken from. With some fruit like apples,
forget it. Perhaps with a cherry tree, you may have a better chance,
but why take it? There are many good sources of cherry scion available
from a nursury or even a friendly neighbor. As long as the root stock
is compatible with your cherry (Prunus). technically you should be able
to graft onto it.

Sherwin

Old 12-11-2008, 01:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"sherwin dubren" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
Has anyone grown cherry trees from seeds and then grafted onto the root
stock?

Any advice, comments?

Why would you want to do that? I can guess because the seeds (really
pits) happen to be handy. There is always the problem of growing any
fruit tree from a seed. Genetically, you will not get the same fruit
like the one the seed is taken from. With some fruit like apples, forget
it. Perhaps with a cherry tree, you may have a better chance,
but why take it? There are many good sources of cherry scion available
from a nursury or even a friendly neighbor. As long as the root stock is
compatible with your cherry (Prunus). technically you should be able to
graft onto it.

????

By grafting onto the rootstock, I meant grafting a scion onto the seedling
root stock. I didn't have in mind grafting a seedling scion onto another
seedling rootstock.

apple trees gone? cherry trees coming? mm Lawns 3 24-12-2006 10:38 PM
Cicada wasps, apricot trees, cherry trees Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 5 27-08-2003 09:32 AM
Volunteer cherry trees WP Edible Gardening 0 08-07-2003 06:08 AM
Cherry Trees tippy1 Edible Gardening 5 22-05-2003 04:08 PM
fruits on ornamental cherry trees? Lil Gardening 5 13-05-2003 06:32 AM