Old 28-03-2010, 10:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Organic Foods

The Cook wrote:
There has been some conversation on rec.food.cooking about organic
foods and especially Calmar's entry into the fray.

Someone posted this link.
http://www.foodconsumer.org/newsite/Politics/Politics/bush_administration_ignored_organic_laws_190310120 6.html

I think most of the group here will be interested.

What that article tells me is, if I don't grow my own organic food, I
don't expect to be sure I get organic any place else!!

Tom J

Old 28-03-2010, 10:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 29-03-2010, 12:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

http://www.foodconsumer.org/newsite/...ministration_i
gnored_organic_laws_1903101206.html

I think most of the group here will be interested.

What that article tells me is, if I don't grow my own organic food, I
don't expect to be sure I get organic any place else!!

Tom J

Next best thing to growing it yourself is Community Supported
Agriculture (CSA), where you can look the growers inn the eyes, ask your
questions, and see their crops.
http://www.localharvest.org/csa/

Old 29-03-2010, 07:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

g'day tom,

yes you grow your own and you know what you are eating, i am in
australia and i have no confidence that the organic certification
system is delivering anything more than more expensive food. and when
you see the fresh orgianic stuff on the shop shelves in the "organic"
section there is no guarantee that it is so? to me it all looks
exactly the same product.

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 17:20:52 -0400, "Tom J"
wrote:

The Cook wrote:
There has been some conversation on rec.food.cooking about organic
foods and especially Calmar's entry into the fray.

Someone posted this link.
http://www.foodconsumer.org/newsite/Politics/Politics/bush_administration_ignored_organic_laws_190310120 6.html

I think most of the group here will be interested.

What that article tells me is, if I don't grow my own organic food, I
don't expect to be sure I get organic any place else!!

Tom J

--

len

With peace and brightest of blessings,

"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 09-04-2010, 05:38 AM
Registered User

Organic foods protect from heart disease and cancer, as they contain Phenolic compounds. Organic food ensures high food quality, which other conventional foods cannot give. Organic food is natural and fresh, and thus, it is tasty. Many people prefer to grow organic food in their home gardens, because it costs about 20% more than the conventional food. Organic gardening uses organic seeds, organic fertilizers, compost, organic root stimulators, and organic pest control. It has been claimed by health experts that organic food is more nutritious. Some of the features that can be associated with organic food are quality, good taste, proper selection of crop varieties etc.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

jremstuart wrote:

Organic food ensures high food quality, which other
conventional foods cannot give.

And today's award for best "Preaching to the choir" goes to....

Old 09-04-2010, 04:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
jremstuart wrote:

Organic foods protect from heart disease and cancer, as they contain
Phenolic compounds.

Many plants contain phenolic compounds, organic or not.
http://www.raysahelian.com/phenolic.html
Some crops, such as bell peppers, show no difference at all.
http://www.agricultureinformation.co...ng/18027-organ
ic-vs-conventional-debate-continues.html

Organic food ensures high food quality, which other
conventional foods cannot give.

It can be organic, and still have E. coli O157:H7 on it. It can be
organic and have reduced nutrients because of agricultural practices,
i.e. lack of fertilizing, or watering, or because of the weather the
crop experienced.

Organic food is natural and fresh, and
thus, it is tasty.

It can be organic even if it is old and moldy.

Many people prefer to grow organic food in their home
gardens, because it costs about 20% more than the conventional food.
Organic gardening uses organic seeds, organic fertilizers, compost,
organic root stimulators, and organic pest control. It has been claimed
by health experts that organic food is more nutritious.

It usually is, but not always (see 2nd url above).

Some of the
features that can be associated with organic food are quality, good
taste, proper selection of crop varieties etc.

The typical cardboard tomatoes that are grow for their durability in
shipping, and long shelf life, can be grown organically. This typically
happens at markets such as Whole Foods in the United States, because
while providing organic produce, they still employ the old industrial
paradigm of buying in large lots, storing in warehouses, and shipping
long distances to their markets. Nutrients are lost in the time it takes
to get from field to shelf. Shipping exposes produce to possible
contamination, uses fossil fuels, and degrades the environment.

I don't view the above Pollyanna approach to "organic" food as being
helpful, because it opens the door to refutation by non-organic
distributors.

What we call organic food was the norm in the 30s and 40s, before the
"Green Revolution" of petroleum based fertilizers and pesticides. The
"organic" movement is just trying to get back to "real" food, without
pesticides, herbicides, and destroying the environment.

If you want food that is healthy for you, and the environment, shop at a
local CSA farm.
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/4/6...e_us_military/

Old 09-04-2010, 05:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , jremstuart.6348f47
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

Organic foods protect from heart disease and cancer, as they contain
Phenolic compounds. Organic food ensures high food quality, which other
conventional foods cannot give. Organic food is natural and fresh, and
thus, it is tasty. Many people prefer to grow organic food in their home
gardens, because it costs about 20% more than the conventional food.
Organic gardening uses organic seeds, organic fertilizers, compost,
organic root stimulators, and organic pest control. It has been claimed
by health experts that organic food is more nutritious. Some of the
features that can be associated with organic food are quality, good
taste, proper selection of crop varieties etc.

....(whisper) we know. --feel better now that's off your chest?

....(still whispering) you are not posting to gardenbanter.uk. You are
posting to rec.gardens.edible USENET _through_ gardenbanter.uk.