Old 30-04-2010, 12:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default How Long Does Tree Spray Need?

I've been wanting to spray my small orchard for three days now, since
the petals fell, but it's been too windy. I'd hoped the wind would die
down this evening, Thursday, but no luck. I'll try tomorrow evening,
when I get home from work.

They're predicting thunderstorms Sunday afternoon. So if I spray
Friday evening and it rains Sunday afternoon, about 40 or so hours
later, will the bug spray and fungicide have had enough time to do
their job before washing away? What's the minimum time needed between
spray and rain?

Paul

Old 30-04-2010, 03:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Pavel314" wrote in message

I've been wanting to spray my small orchard for three days now, since
the petals fell, but it's been too windy. I'd hoped the wind would die
down this evening, Thursday, but no luck. I'll try tomorrow evening,
when I get home from work.

They're predicting thunderstorms Sunday afternoon. So if I spray
Friday evening and it rains Sunday afternoon, about 40 or so hours
later, will the bug spray and fungicide have had enough time to do
their job before washing away? What's the minimum time needed between
spray and rain?

Paul- Hide quoted text -

I'm spraying fruit trees, mainly apples, with copper fungicide and
insecticide.

Paul
Old 30-04-2010, 04:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Pavel314" wrote in message

I've been wanting to spray my small orchard for three days now, since
the petals fell, but it's been too windy. I'd hoped the wind would die
down this evening, Thursday, but no luck. I'll try tomorrow evening,
when I get home from work.

They're predicting thunderstorms Sunday afternoon. So if I spray
Friday evening and it rains Sunday afternoon, about 40 or so hours
later, will the bug spray and fungicide have had enough time to do
their job before washing away? What's the minimum time needed between
spray and rain?

Paul- Hide quoted text -

I'm spraying fruit trees, mainly apples, with copper fungicide and
insecticide.

Paul

You may be too late. Copper fungicide should have been sprayed just
after pruning while the trees were dormant. In some cases (e.g.,
peaches), you should spray again just as the flower buds begin to swell
and show a little color.

The copper spray that I use says that, if it rains within 48 hours after
being applied, it has to be sprayed again.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean