Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 31-05-2010, 06:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Major garden decision today

I got back from nearly a month away to find a weed infested garden, and some
plants that wifey and MIL had bought, but not planted correctly.

So, good guy that I am, decide to plant said articles.

I have been messing with this garden plot for two years now. Not really
working it, just messing with it.

Today, I found out that it is from six to twelve inches of sand on top of a
caliche table. After bending a couple of shovels trying to plant some
strawberries, we have decided to make everything on raised beds, which
should be infinitely easier than growing at ground level. I have a bad
back, and can't get down there. So, now, we shall start building raised
beds in earnest, and get some really good local mulch, and start growing.
May even put a shade over it, and a good wind break.

Glad I didn't waste another year on it.

Steve