Old 31-05-2010, 06:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Major garden decision today

I got back from nearly a month away to find a weed infested garden, and some
plants that wifey and MIL had bought, but not planted correctly.

So, good guy that I am, decide to plant said articles.

I have been messing with this garden plot for two years now. Not really
working it, just messing with it.

Today, I found out that it is from six to twelve inches of sand on top of a
caliche table. After bending a couple of shovels trying to plant some
strawberries, we have decided to make everything on raised beds, which
should be infinitely easier than growing at ground level. I have a bad
back, and can't get down there. So, now, we shall start building raised
beds in earnest, and get some really good local mulch, and start growing.
May even put a shade over it, and a good wind break.

Glad I didn't waste another year on it.

Steve

Old 31-05-2010, 04:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Steve B wrote:
I got back from nearly a month away to find a weed infested garden, and some
plants that wifey and MIL had bought, but not planted correctly.

So, good guy that I am, decide to plant said articles.

Gardens need tending. I have a friend that couldn't tend her garden and
a month later the weeds were 3' tall and the plants near death. It was
hard to see.

I have been messing with this garden plot for two years now. Not really
working it, just messing with it.

Today, I found out that it is from six to twelve inches of sand on top of a
caliche table. After bending a couple of shovels trying to plant some
strawberries, we have decided to make everything on raised beds, which
should be infinitely easier than growing at ground level. I have a bad
back, and can't get down there. So, now, we shall start building raised
beds in earnest, and get some really good local mulch, and start growing.
May even put a shade over it, and a good wind break.

Many of use here are now thinking lasagna gardening, it should suit
your bad back. Use the Google. Also, lots of plants grow well in sandy
soil, consider adapting to your local conditions.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_veget...in_sandy_soils

Glad I didn't waste another year on it.

Maybe you have! That's the trouble with wasting time, it's not really
apparent to the OP until after the fact. If your friends are strangely
quiet it may be a clue that you are on the way. We all waste time, the
important thing is whether you enjoyed yourself while wasting it.

No SPAM please.

Jeff

Steve

Old 31-05-2010, 07:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Jeff Thies" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
[...]

I really don't consider it a waste of time, as I did progress to a new
level, and can now move on with things. I learned something. I had a
garden once like you mentioned. I got sent offshore for a couple of months.
I came back, and I had to hack my way to get the gate open. There were
zucchini the size of watermelons, lots of tomatos and cukes, cantaloupes,
and three bushes of the most beautiful jalapenos I ever grew. I got three
brown paper grocery bags full. I made a mix of sliced jalapenos, carrots,
celery, cauliflower, purple onion, and pickle brine, and that was late
summer. I put them up in quart jars, and gave them away at Christmas.
Everyone wanted more.

Steve

Old 22-06-2010, 03:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

You wont regret raised beds. I made 5 of them 4 ft wide by 10 foot long, and
am I ever having a blast along with terrific crops. If I want to sit while
working I just place a plank from one bed to the other and sit on it, moving
it back and forth gives me mobility. You will love it..good luck