Old 25-06-2010, 06:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Putting the garden up

From The Scout Report, Copyright Internet Scout 1994-2010.
http://scout.wisc.edu/

13. National Center for Home Food Preservation [pdf]
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/

Home canning and food preservation is very much alive in parts of the
United States, and the National Center for Home Food Preservation at the
University of Georgia Cooperative Extension Service has canners',
picklers', and curers'/smokers' interests at heart. *The Center advises
people on how to can foods safely, along with offering recipes for how
to make delicious foods. *

The most notable freebie the website offers visitors is "Preserving Food
at Home: A Self-Study". *It is a self-paced, online course that teaches
"Introduction to Food Preservation", "General Canning", "Canning Acid
Foods", and "Canning Low-Acid Foods". *The "Multimedia" section has
"Videos", "Slideshows", "Graphics Galleries", and "Tutorials" to make the
process of canning, pickling, drying, and freezing come to life. *The
"Graphics Galleries" are for those who give presentations, papers,
lectures, etc., for educational and not-for-profit purposes. *Some of
the galleries include a "Drying Gallery", "Equipment Gallery", "Pickling
Gallery", and a "Raw Foods Gallery". [KMG]

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
Old 02-07-2010, 09:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
wrote:

Bill who putters wrote:

13. National Center for Home Food Preservation [pdf]
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/

Home canning and food preservation is very much alive in parts of the
United States,

Changing demographics brought about the closure of the vast
majority of county-supported community canning centers in my part of
Florida long before the presentday budget shortfalls.
DW&I pressure-canned for a while, when younger if not prettier, and
still have all of the paraphernalia save for serviceable jars: We passed
those along to family members who still practice the art. Although, I
have no particular fondness for the regional electric utility, nowadays,
we freeze or dehydrate whatever "surplus" our garden produces.
Thanks for the link. In the day we found the official USDA home
canning guide (we found it on the USDA web site) and the "Ball Blue
Book" to be the definitive guides and of immense help. The USDA
information is updated continuously and it pays someone heavily into
food preservation to monitor it frequently. A note about the "Ball Blue
Book": DW&I found a later edition at Books-a-Million than the one we
received directly from Ball and within a week of receiving it.

I have 5 kids aged 26 to 36 and none have ever preserved anything.
I've got all sorts of canning jars some with metal spring lids some ball
vacuum seal. Two pressure canners and one just hot water along with a
steam extraction juicer. None have been used much in the last 20 years
aside from dehydrator. I do not know if they will be used.
BUT things can change and we know how to but my children do not know
why to or want too. Sometimes I think I post just for myself.

BTW some of those caning jars are green glass and I make up fruit in
brandy Christmas gifts which are heirlooms. I'm hoping someone will
ask what else can be put up.

Sort of think the late marriage age I see has some thing to do with
this.

81 F. today and a get this 42 F. dew point. Sort of a great
glitch in the weather . Monday about 100F. ((((

--
http://comment.rsablogs.org.uk/videos/
http://tinyurl.com/277bz9m