Old 27-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgentracer View Post
I have put two links below for you to see what I have
http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/s...e/P1140363.jpg
http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/s...e/P1140361.jpg
Hope that you can identify the plant from those
I should have looked at these before. You don't have a pepino melon, you have something from the squash family.
Old 27-08-2010, 11:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Pepino Melon

echinosum said:

Pepino "melons", Solanum muricatum (so actually a member of the
tomato/potato/chilli family) that I have bought in shops in Chile are
about 6-8"/15-20cm long, and oval in end-to-end cross-section. So a bit
bigger than an aubergine, but rather smaller than most melons. But there
is a picture of one on the Wikipedia page, described as ripe, not much
larger than a hen's egg, so they can be rather smaller than that. They
do look like melons.

Their origin is, like many of the cultivated solanums, in the Andes. The
original wild plant has not been found. They are cultivated at around
2000m to 3000m in the tropical Andes, and in the mediterranean climate
area of Chile. I came across them being grown at around 1500m in the
Cameron Highlands of Malaysia, but they weren't very good, perhaps too
warm. I believe they are also grown in the northern parts of New
Zealand.

They are known to be trickier than chillis to grow. But in general, I
would say that if you have the conditions right to grow aubergines
without any trouble, or tamarillos (tree tomatoes), then you should have
the conditions about right for these.

This year's experiment was to attempt growing Pepino 'melons' but
had a lot of trouble with germination. I only had about six seeds, not
all of them germinated, and the seeds that did seemed to have a
problem getting the seed leaves out of the seed coat. I managed to
raise only one plant to set out in the garden (I had aimed for two).

It grew into a large, healthy plant but none of the flowers set fruit.
So, I'm thinking this might be one of those members of the Solanum
family that aren't self-fertile.

I'm willing to try at least one more time, and see if I can get two
plants to transplant size next year. This year's plant seemed even
more robust than my eggplants and had a number of flower trusses,
It just never set fruit..

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 27-08-2010, 01:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Jimgentracer wrote:
Banter is exactly why this forum is here I thought David...

Not entirely. Perhaps you don't realise that gardenbanter links to the
usenet newsgroup rec.gardens.edible. Most of the posts you see are not sent
via gardenbanter. The newsgroup is international and about growing edibles.
Along the way you will get some banter but that is not its primary purpose.

I have done a lot of web searching and in fact found this to be the
nicest spot to ask

However, it seems like all forums there always seems to be those who
dont enjoy the banter and swapping of ideas liberally.

There is nothing at all wrong with banter and swapping ideas liberally.

"BANTER" is described on google as a

"Supple term used to describe activities or chat that is playful,
intelligent and original. Banter is something you either posses or
lack, there is no middle ground. It is also something inherently
English, stemming as it does from traditional hi-jinks and tomfoolery
of British yesteryear"

Generally, I enjoy sharing ideas as this develops knowledge.

So do most of us.

I feel a little "corrected" by your remark

Should I feel like this?

I think not

My point was that you came across as expecting others to do basic internet
searching that you could readily do yourself. Interchange between people is
good if the subject is complex or you don't know how to frame the question.
For a very simple clear question like "Is there such a name as PEPITO
Melon?" a search engine is quicker and more effective than a human.

David

Pepino Melon Jimgentracer United Kingdom 5 28-08-2010 06:23 AM
Has anyone grown pepino from seeds? zxcvbob Edible Gardening 1 18-12-2008 02:06 PM
Pepino dulce Sacha United Kingdom 6 18-03-2007 10:23 AM
Pepino Melons MrsFrog Edible Gardening 0 09-01-2004 10:22 PM
Pepino Dulce Victoria Clare United Kingdom 18 01-11-2003 07:42 AM