Old 30-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Pepino Dulce

A while ago I posted about a blue-flowered 'melon tree' which I'd seen
advertised - later discovered to be 'pepino dulce', an edible solanum.

Well, I ordered one. Unfortunately the suppliers did not answer the
questions I sent with my order about what variety it was, or where I could
find out more.

I was expecting something tomato-esque, but this is more of a classic
solanum, with dark, faintly shiny leaves with paler ribs. It's been very
happy in a warm outside spot, brightly lit but out of direct sunlight this
summer, and I've now brought it inside.

It's now about 10 inches tall, and needs re-potting. When previously
discussed, we thought it might grow to 5 feet, but I am hoping to keep it
to 3 so I can wheel it about more easily.

As it was quite happy outside till very recently, I suspect it is less
tender than I had feared, and hope to get it to fruit next year: it can
apparently be grown as an annual.

I've found a chapter of a book on this plant which is available online:
http://books.nap.edu/books/030904264...5.html#pagetop .

This site is rather hard to print, so I stripped the text and graphics and
made a Word doc for my own reference: if you would like a copy, email me.

Victoria Clare
Old 30-10-2003, 07:42 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Victoria
Clare writes
A while ago I posted about a blue-flowered 'melon tree' which I'd seen
advertised - later discovered to be 'pepino dulce', an edible solanum.

Well, I ordered one. Unfortunately the suppliers did not answer the
questions I sent with my order about what variety it was, or where I could
find out more.

I was expecting something tomato-esque, but this is more of a classic
solanum, with dark, faintly shiny leaves with paler ribs.

So you've made me think ...
Tomato is Lycopersicum. Blue is a colour that pops up frequetnly in
Solanum - woody nightshade, aubergine etc.
Are there any Lycopersicum with blue flowers?

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 30-10-2003, 08:23 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Victoria
Clare writes
A while ago I posted about a blue-flowered 'melon tree' which I'd seen
advertised - later discovered to be 'pepino dulce', an edible solanum.

Well, I ordered one. Unfortunately the suppliers did not answer the
questions I sent with my order about what variety it was, or where I

could
find out more.

I was expecting something tomato-esque, but this is more of a classic
solanum, with dark, faintly shiny leaves with paler ribs.

So you've made me think ...
Tomato is Lycopersicum. Blue is a colour that pops up frequetnly in
Solanum - woody nightshade, aubergine etc.
Are there any Lycopersicum with blue flowers?

I am a pessimist. There are so many poisonous members of the Solanum tribe
that I would be more than worried about eating any one other than the
commonly culivated ones like potatos and tomatos.

Franz

Old 31-10-2003, 10:32 AM
Victoria Clare

Kay Easton wrote in
:

In article ,
Victoria Clare writes
A while ago I posted about a blue-flowered 'melon tree' which I'd seen
advertised - later discovered to be 'pepino dulce', an edible solanum.

Well, I ordered one. Unfortunately the suppliers did not answer the
questions I sent with my order about what variety it was, or where I
could find out more.

I was expecting something tomato-esque, but this is more of a classic
solanum, with dark, faintly shiny leaves with paler ribs.

So you've made me think ...
Tomato is Lycopersicum. Blue is a colour that pops up frequetnly in
Solanum - woody nightshade, aubergine etc.
Are there any Lycopersicum with blue flowers?

Google doesn't seem to know of any: every reference I could find is to
yellow flowers.

Though as tomatoes started off being imported as a poisonous decorative,
and have mutated into all sorts of edible forms ( WHO decided to do
that, and how many stomach aches did they suffer before it worked?), I
bet it would be possible to breed one.

Didn't we have a similar discussion about potato flowers (which do seem
to be more variable than tomato ones)?

The reason I was thinking of Solanum muricatum (pepino dulce) in that
light is that apparently it is sometimes grown as an annual crop.

The one I have seems quite woody and shrublike in its growth pattern,
rather than having the softer green stems of a tomato, potato or a
physalis.

Victoria
Old 31-10-2003, 10:32 AM
Victoria Clare

"Franz Heymann" wrote in
:

I am a pessimist. There are so many poisonous members of the Solanum
tribe that I would be more than worried about eating any one other
than the commonly culivated ones like potatos and tomatos.

Solanum muricatum has been in cultivation for a very long time: it's an
Inca crop.

In fact, I think that makes it a longer-established edible than the tomato,
which I understand was bred into edibility quite recently (C16th or so).

Victoria

Old 31-10-2003, 11:32 AM
Franz Heymann

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
. 240.10...
"Franz Heymann" wrote in
:

I am a pessimist. There are so many poisonous members of the Solanum
tribe that I would be more than worried about eating any one other
than the commonly culivated ones like potatos and tomatos.

Solanum muricatum has been in cultivation for a very long time: it's an
Inca crop.

In fact, I think that makes it a longer-established edible than the

tomato,
which I understand was bred into edibility quite recently (C16th or so).

What interesting information!
But if it was an Inca crop, is it not likely to have narcotic properties?
{:-))

Franz

Victoria

Old 31-10-2003, 11:32 AM
Franz Heymann

[...]

This Solanum muricatum (pepino dulce) is beginning to interest me.
Is it hardy enough to grow outdoors high in Wensleydale?
Are the seeds obtainable?
When and how should it be sown?
How big is the plant?

Franz

Old 31-10-2003, 11:32 AM
martin

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 11:25:10 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.240.10...
"Franz Heymann" wrote in
:

I am a pessimist. There are so many poisonous members of the Solanum
tribe that I would be more than worried about eating any one other
than the commonly culivated ones like potatos and tomatos.

Solanum muricatum has been in cultivation for a very long time: it's an
Inca crop.

In fact, I think that makes it a longer-established edible than the

tomato,
which I understand was bred into edibility quite recently (C16th or so).

What interesting information!
But if it was an Inca crop, is it not likely to have narcotic properties?
{:-))

mind enhancing even?

more about inca agriculture at
http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/FLORA/328Fall98/incag.html
--
Martin
Old 31-10-2003, 11:42 AM
martin

http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/pepino.htm

and http://plants.gardenbed.com/65/6433_pro.asp
--
Martin
Old 31-10-2003, 12:32 PM
Victoria Clare

"Franz Heymann" wrote in news:bnth13$5v2
:

This Solanum muricatum (pepino dulce) is beginning to interest me.
Is it hardy enough to grow outdoors high in Wensleydale?
Are the seeds obtainable?
When and how should it be sown?
How big is the plant?

See previous threads - subject ISTR 'blue flowered melon tree' or something
along those lines.

It appears to be almost unknown in the UK, so I am posting as I go along
and find out new things.

I understand it is grown as a commercial crop in New Zealand.

Victoria

Old 31-10-2003, 01:02 PM
Bob Hobden

"martin" wrote in message
Solanum muricatum has been in cultivation for a very long time: it's an
Inca crop.

In fact, I think that makes it a longer-established edible than the

tomato,
which I understand was bred into edibility quite recently (C16th or

so).

What interesting information!
But if it was an Inca crop, is it not likely to have narcotic properties?
{:-))

mind enhancing even?

more about inca agriculture at
http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/FLORA/328Fall98/incag.html
--

What struck me as interesting in that article was the Highland Papaya -
Carica, now you have me thinking...... wonder where I can get

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.

Old 31-10-2003, 01:32 PM
Victoria Clare

"Bob Hobden" wrote in news:bntmfc$15dg0j$1@ID-
93475.news.uni-berlin.de:

What struck me as interesting in that article was the Highland Papaya -
Carica, now you have me thinking...... wonder where I can get
seeds........make an interesting addition down the allotments...........
:-)

That book I mentioned also has a chapter on the Highland Papaya -
http://books.nap.edu/books/030904264X/html/252.html

As to seed:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...o/Fruitnut.htm
http://www.greendealer-exotic-seeds....ds/Papaya.html

Dunno if they will 'do' in the UK, but what a coup if you managed to get
them to fruit!

Victoria
Old 31-10-2003, 01:42 PM
Bob Hobden

"Victoria wrote in message after me...

What struck me as interesting in that article was the Highland Papaya -
Carica, now you have me thinking...... wonder where I can get
seeds........make an interesting addition down the allotments...........
:-)

That book I mentioned also has a chapter on the Highland Papaya -
http://books.nap.edu/books/030904264X/html/252.html

As to seed:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...o/Fruitnut.htm
http://www.greendealer-exotic-seeds....ds/Papaya.html

Dunno if they will 'do' in the UK, but what a coup if you managed to get
them to fruit!

Well that's what I was thinking, cause a stir down the Gardening Club,
besides which, I love Papaya. :-)

Thanks for all the URL's.

Old 31-10-2003, 04:22 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the URL.

Franz

Old 31-10-2003, 09:22 PM
Kay Easton

In article . 10,
Victoria Clare writes
"Franz Heymann" wrote in
:

I am a pessimist. There are so many poisonous members of the Solanum
tribe that I would be more than worried about eating any one other
than the commonly culivated ones like potatos and tomatos.

Solanum muricatum has been in cultivation for a very long time: it's an
Inca crop.

In fact, I think that makes it a longer-established edible than the tomato,
which I understand was bred into edibility quite recently (C16th or so).

An awful lot of the Solanums are eaten - apart from the ones we've
discussed in urg -

S aethiopicum
s agrarium
S aviculare
S duplosinuatum
S ellipticum
S macrocarpon
S pierreanum
S piliferum
S quitoense
S saniwongsei
S topiro
S trifolorum
S uporo
- fruits of all these are eaten

S anomolum
S diversifolium
S torvum
- fruits used as condiment

S andigenum
S fendleri
S jamesii
- tubers are eaten

... and that's without even looking at any of the other Solanacaea genera
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Aji dulce 2 chillis John Dickson Australia 4 16-11-2007 02:27 AM
Pepino dulce Sacha United Kingdom 6 18-03-2007 10:23 AM
growing aji dulce nina Edible Gardening 0 18-04-2005 05:12 AM
growing aji dulce nina Gardening 0 18-04-2005 05:10 AM
Pepino Melons MrsFrog Edible Gardening 0 09-01-2004 10:22 PM