Old 24-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Registered User

Default Pepino Melon

does anyone know anything about growing these?

I was given one as a present

have watered it and its had a lot of son,, keeps producing yellow flowers with a small acorn sized fruit appearing behind them

Days later the fruit turns yellow and falls off

How big is the fruit?

maybe its full grown

I have had troub le locating an image of the plant

any ideas will gratefully be recieved

I have put two links below for you to see what I have

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/s...e/P1140363.jpg

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/s...e/P1140361.jpg

Hope that you can identify the plant from those

Thanks for any help
Old 25-08-2010, 12:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

http://tinyurl.com/382yysr

http://tinyurl.com/2vkqb75

Hope that you can identify the plant from those

Thanks for any help

Before we descend into common name confusion hell is this what you are
talking about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepino

If so search on Solanum muricatum and you will no doubt get much more
information.

The photos you supplied do not look like that to me, yours looks like a
cucurbit not a solanum. Where did you get it? What did the supplier call
it?

David

Old 25-08-2010, 01:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Jimgentracer wrote:
[...]

It looks like squash to me. Do you have pollinators? Fruit setting,
turning yellow, and falling off the vine while young, sounds as if it
wasn't pollinated. You should start hand pollinating to assure yourself
that this isn't the problem. The only climbing squash that I'm familiar
with is the genus Cucurbita moschata.
--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/maude
Old 25-08-2010, 11:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Jimgentracer said:

does anyone know anything about growing these?

I was given one as a present

have watered it and its had a lot of son,, keeps producing yellow
flowers with a small acorn sized fruit appearing behind them

Days later the fruit turns yellow and falls off

Your plant is aborting the fruit, either due to lack of pollination or
because it is not robust enough to maintain the fruit.

I have put two links below for you to see what I have

http://tinyurl.com/382yysr

http://tinyurl.com/2vkqb75

Hope that you can identify the plant from those

Thanks for any help

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 26-08-2010, 09:38 AM
Registered User

Thanks for all the answers

I have to say I can only tell you what the card said on it

Pepino Melon

however, it certainly doesnt look like the solanum

the fruit on the card looked like an Orange coloured Galia Melon

How do I pollinated the fruit?

Im a total newbie

Old 26-08-2010, 03:02 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgentracer View Post
Thanks for all the answers

I have to say I can only tell you what the card said on it

Pepino Melon

however, it certainly doesnt look like the solanum

the fruit on the card looked like an Orange coloured Galia Melon

How do I pollinated the fruit?

Im a total newbie
Your post appeared in two places, and maybe you didn't see this reply I made elsewhere.
Pepino "melons", Solanum muricatum (so actually a member of the tomato/potato/chilli family) that I have bought in shops in Chile are about 6-8"/15-20cm long, and oval in end-to-end cross-section. So a bit bigger than an aubergine, but rather smaller than most melons. But there is a picture of one on the Wikipedia page, described as ripe, not much larger than a hen's egg, so they can be rather smaller than that. They do look like melons.

Their origin is, like many of the cultivated solanums, in the Andes. The original wild plant has not been found. They are cultivated at around 2000m to 3000m in the tropical Andes, and in the mediterranean climate area of Chile. I came across them being grown at around 1500m in the Cameron Highlands of Malaysia, but they weren't very good, perhaps too warm. I believe they are also grown in the northern parts of New Zealand.

They are known to be trickier than chillis to grow. But in general, I would say that if you have the conditions right to grow aubergines without any trouble, or tamarillos (tree tomatoes), then you should have the conditions about right for these.
Additional comments on your latest:

Solanums are generally self-pollinating.

Solanum flowers are generally pretty obviously different from curcurbit (squash family) flowers, though if you are total newbie you may not recognise the difference. A few images from google might help. If you decide what you have is a curcurbit, then it wasn't a pepino melon, you were misled. But this is always a problem when plant sellers sell things with just popular names.
Old 26-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Registered User

Is there such a name as PEPITO Melon?
Old 26-08-2010, 04:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Jimgentracer wrote:

Thanks for all the answers

I have to say I can only tell you what the card said on it

Pepino Melon

however, it certainly doesnt look like the solanum

the fruit on the card looked like an Orange coloured Galia Melon

How do I pollinated the fruit?

Im a total newbie

For squash, you will notice that some of the flowers are on short stems
and others are on long stems. The easiest way to pollinate them is to
pick one of the long stemmed flowers, pull off the petals, and then
swirl it around inside the short stemmed flower for a couple of seconds,
and you're done.
Old 26-08-2010, 10:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Jimgentracer wrote:

Is there such a name as PEPITO Melon?

I'm sure there is. As a matter of fact, I'm looking at it right now.
Do you suppose someone could "google" PEPITO Melon?
Old 26-08-2010, 10:26 PM
Registered User

now that way sounds kind of easy

will have a go tomorrow

Old 26-08-2010, 10:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=PEPINO+Melon

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
globalvoicesonline.org

Old 27-08-2010, 12:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Jimgentracer wrote:
Is there such a name as PEPITO Melon?

Have you done any web searching on your own behalf or are you counting on us
doing it all for you? You are likely to get more help if you show that you
have at least tried to find out yourself.

David

Old 27-08-2010, 12:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Jimgentracer wrote:

Is there such a name as PEPITO Melon?

I'm sure there is. As a matter of fact, I'm looking at it right now.
Do you suppose someone could "google" PEPITO Melon?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=PEPINO+Melon

Bill, he wanted PEPITO Melon

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=PEPITO+Melon
Old 27-08-2010, 12:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jimgentracer wrote:

Is there such a name as PEPITO Melon?

I'm sure there is. As a matter of fact, I'm looking at it right now.
Do you suppose someone could "google" PEPITO Melon?

There must be something cultural about gardenbanter that makes them take on
this degree of helplessness. It seems an attitude unrelated to level of
gardening knowledge. I find it quite odd.

David

Old 27-08-2010, 08:10 AM
Registered User

Banter is exactly why this forum is here I thought David...

I have done a lot of web searching and in fact found this to be the nicest spot to ask

However, it seems like all forums there always seems to be those who dont enjoy the banter and swapping of ideas liberally.

"BANTER" is described on google as a

"Supple term used to describe activities or chat that is playful, intelligent and original. Banter is something you either posses or lack, there is no middle ground. It is also something inherently English, stemming as it does from traditional hi-jinks and tomfoolery of British yesteryear"

Generally, I enjoy sharing ideas as this develops knowledge.

I feel a little "corrected" by your remark

Should I feel like this?

I think not

Pepino Melon Jimgentracer United Kingdom 5 28-08-2010 06:23 AM
Has anyone grown pepino from seeds? zxcvbob Edible Gardening 1 18-12-2008 02:06 PM
Pepino dulce Sacha United Kingdom 6 18-03-2007 10:23 AM
Pepino Melons MrsFrog Edible Gardening 0 09-01-2004 10:22 PM
Pepino Dulce Victoria Clare United Kingdom 18 01-11-2003 07:42 AM