Old 03-11-2010, 05:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Harbor Freight greenhouse

I see that Harbor Freight has the small 6x8 greenhouse on sale for
$250. Has anyone here had any personal experience with them? It looks
mighty tempting, even to a cheap-skate like me.
Chas
Old 03-11-2010, 07:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

villon wrote:

I see that Harbor Freight has the small 6x8 greenhouse on sale for
$250.

Is this plastic covered or polycarbonate? The plastic cover will NOT
survive a winter (and they don't sell a replacement). But, it's cheap and
will do the job, sort of.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Gary Woods wrote:
villon wrote:

I see that Harbor Freight has the small 6x8 greenhouse on sale for
$250.

Is this plastic covered or polycarbonate? The plastic cover will NOT
survive a winter (and they don't sell a replacement). But, it's
cheap and will do the job, sort of.

It will not survive a winter where? Everywhere or at Queen Maude Land?

Old 03-11-2010, 08:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

It will not survive a winter where?

Sorry; should have said "here" which is in my .sig.
Upstate New York, U.S. But it didn't survive very thoroughly, so unless
it's winter on Kaua'I...

Old 05-11-2010, 02:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Nov 3, 3:41*pm, Gary Woods wrote:
villon wrote:
I see that Harbor Freight has the small 6x8 greenhouse on sale for
$250.

Is this plastic covered or polycarbonate? *The plastic cover will NOT
survive a winter (and they don't sell a replacement). *But, it's cheap and
will do the job, sort of.

It's polycarb panels, but the door looks sort of junky. I keep telling
myself I could build a better GH than that if I wasn't so lazy...
still, it looks tempting. Plastic sheets seems like they'd have to be
replaced too often. I see you are upstate NY AND a HAM. I'm on long
island now but have spent many summers up in Ithaca/Watkins Glen. I
haven't been on the air in a couple or three years but I used to hang
out a bunch on 40 and 80 meters - mostly cw on 40...
Chas
(N2JIW)

Old 05-11-2010, 01:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

villon wrote:
I see that Harbor Freight has the small 6x8 greenhouse on sale for
$250.

Is this plastic covered or polycarbonate? *The plastic cover will NOT
survive a winter (and they don't sell a replacement). *But, it's cheap and
will do the job, sort of.

It's polycarb panels, but the door looks sort of junky. I keep telling
myself I could build a better GH than that if I wasn't so lazy...
still, it looks tempting. Plastic sheets seems like they'd have to be
replaced too often. I see you are upstate NY AND a HAM. I'm on long
island now but have spent many summers up in Ithaca/Watkins Glen. I
haven't been on the air in a couple or three years but I used to hang
out a bunch on 40 and 80 meters - mostly cw on 40...
Chas
(N2JIW)

My wife and I live near Baltimore, Maryland. We bought their 10X12
greenhouse kit, aluminum frame with polycarbonate panels, and found it
to be very flimsy. Whenever the wind got over 30 mph, which happens
frequently here, the pannels blew off. I bought a box of extra panel
clips which helped a bit but we still lost panels in high winds. I
finally glued them in with a caulking glue.

I tried firming up the structure by adding wood cross-beams but that
didn't help much. The door was the weak point. In retrospect, I should
have faced the door downwind to the prevailing flow, so I'll take some
of the blame for the door blowing in.

After two winters of this, I tore it down and built a greenhouse out
of pressure treated framing lumber. We used most of the panels from
the kit for the walls of the new greenhouse and bought heavier stuff
for the roof. The old door got recycled as the new door, but hinged
instead of sliding and on the downwind side this time.

Paul
Old 05-11-2010, 03:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Nov 3, 1:20*pm, villon wrote:
I see that Harbor Freight has the small 6x8 greenhouse on sale for
$250. Has anyone here had any personal experience with them? It looks
mighty tempting, even to a cheap-skate like me.
Chas

I'd be concerned that the cheap plastic panels out of China may not
have the light stability of plastic formulated for outdoor use. Only
stuff I buy from HF are things for occassional use. They are not
known for selling quality products.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Registered User

It's polycarb panels, but the aperture looks array of junky. I accumulate telling myself I could body a bigger GH than that if I wasn't so lazy... still, it looks tempting. Plastic bedding seems like they'd accept to be replaced too often.
__________________
Hydroponic Gardening
Old 12-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Registered User

I'd be anxious that the bargain artificial panels out of China may not have the ablaze adherence of artificial formulated for alfresco use. Only stuff I buy from HF are things for occasional use.
Old 18-05-2011, 12:56 AM
Registered User

I approved firming up the anatomy by abacus copse cross-beams but that didn't advice much. The aperture was the anemic point. In retrospect, I should have faced the aperture downwind to the prevailing flow, so I'll yield some of the accusation for the aperture alarming in.

More Harbor Freight Sucks.... Gareee© Ponds 7 03-07-2004 01:02 AM
Harbor Freight..(easy to make lights) Ponds 5 04-06-2004 01:05 AM
Harbor Freight.. sucks! Gareee© Ponds 27 01-06-2004 05:10 PM
Online pump/light resource?(Harbor Freight) Mike Bernardoni Ponds 5 25-05-2004 04:09 AM
Online pump/light resource? Harbor freight?? Gareee© Ponds 0 21-05-2004 12:07 AM