Old 19-12-2010, 04:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Horse manure

In article ,
phorbin wrote:

In article , ask@itshall
says...
"phorbin" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote in
u:

Only if you don't weed often enough :-))

True enough, you can buy strilised topsoil and in a week or so there come
the weeds through the damn stuff, and out comes the hoe as always.

At retail outlets you can see bags of sterilized topsoil storedhttp://bigthink.com/ideas/25574
outdoors, sprouting weeds.

:-))) Would you trust any 'soil' that didn't sprout something
or other when given half a chance.?

It amuses me that weed seeds make it through the sterilization process,
muscle their way throught the holes in the bags and continue to grow
along quite happily throughout the season.

With that said, I don't trust any soil that wasn't made right here.

I have no trust for anything but organic manure produced on organic
farms. -- The Aminopyralid issue has not gone away and I'm unwilling to
risk contaminating our organic garden with it.

I've always hoped that the half lives of most contaminates are short.
All the talk of organic pesticides in non-organic terms I thought of as
malathion or seven breaks down in about 20 years. Mere pittance in time
compared to TEL or Strodium 90.

Anyway

Happy Solstice! Seems the eclipse and solstice occurs about every 500
years.

Rare Cosmic Event to Transpire Tuesday Morning

http://bigthink.com/ideas/25574

Ps Merry Christmas now back to trying to making Limpa

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

"Always tell the truth and you don't have to remember anything."
--Mark Twain.

Old 20-12-2010, 03:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article ,
phorbin wrote:

In article , ask@itshall
says...
"phorbin" wrote in message
[...]

BTW here is what it may look like.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

Old 22-12-2010, 04:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dee Dee is offline

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in
:

Dee wrote:
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote in
u:

I wonder how many people here have ever killed anything with any
sort of fertiliser? I know I haven't.

Anyone want to put up their hand and tell us if you have and if
you did, what did you do?

I didn't, but my next-door neighbor did.

One spring we both went to a horse farm and loaded up our small
pickup beds with manure. The manure was maybe 1-3 months old (my
best guess - I used to work with horses).

I spread the manure in my veggie garden, keeping it at least 8
inches away from the base of any plant. Most of it went around
the edges and in the paths of the garden. I then covered the
paths with fresh straw so I wouldn't be walking in manure. That
summer (and the following summer) I had the biggest, healthiest
plants ever, giving the most prolific yields ever, and the
produce was the best and tastiest that I ever received out of
that garden.

Sounds right.

Meanwhile, my neighbor, using the same manure forked from the
same pile, spread it at the base of all his plants. In another
part of his garden where he had not yet planted anything, he
tilled the manure into the soil and then a week or so later put
in more plants. That summer he lost more than half the garden.
The plants growing in the tilled area died first, rather quickly,
within a month or so. The plants that had manure at their base
struggled the entire summer to live, either producing very little
or nothing, and then died a long drawn-out death.

Dee

This is entirely at odds with my experience. I cannot picture 1-3
month old horse manure doing this. Once it has rotted for a few
months you can plant straight into it, I have a very vigorous
self-seeded pumpkin growing in the manure pile right now. I would
say the neighbour added something else (like a chemfert) and
didn't tell you.

David

I could not imagine that he added chemferts. He is *very* (as in,
*extremely*) organic. He has gardened organically for over 30 years.

I think it's more likely that I was probably wrong about how aged the
manure was. It had broken down very little in the pile, and we were
forking from the top (therefore from more recent additions).
Apparently the manure was fresh enough to burn and kill the roots of
new transplants.

Dee
Old 12-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Registered User

I use it all the time. In addition to providing nutrition, improved soil
Texture. I made double the height of the expected growth of the rose and pumpkin Vine small building envelopes and slow animals.
Pond Liners