Old 16-12-2010, 09:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Horse manure

"HL B123" wrote in message
Would like to hear any information on putting horse manure in vegetable
gardens as opposed to commercial fertilizers. I would like to apply it
now? thanks hlb

I did it a long time ago. The wrong way. I'm still paying for it. Make
sure its barn horse manure. If the horses are eating in a field. Weeds will
overrun your garden.

Old 17-12-2010, 06:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"HL B123" wrote in message
I am in Arkansas U.S.A. thanks hlb

I add it to the top of any beds mostly in winter or autumn by preference but
I can do it any time of the year because it depends if my poo supplier has a
pile and needs it removed.

I never dig it in until it's sat there for (usually) a season (so about 3
month) and even then I might not dig it in but scrape it away and shove it
elsewhere. I live in a climate that gets 40C+ summers days and -9C mornings
but snow is as rare as rocking horse manure. Basically I use it as a mulch
and the worms do a lot of work.

Make sure the horse poo hasn't got any aminopyralid in it as that has caused
major problems in some gardens.

Old 17-12-2010, 06:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message news:wildbilly-

Then there is that other stuff about not adding too much for fear of
burning the roots of your plants.

I've begun to think that 'burnign' story is an urban myth. I've yet to kill
anything with horse poop and I'm pretty sloppy about the way I spread it and
sometimes the stuff I spread has come from the insides of a horse less than
a day ago.

Old 17-12-2010, 06:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"DogDiesel" wrote in message

"HL B123" wrote in message
Would like to hear any information on putting horse manure in vegetable
gardens as opposed to commercial fertilizers. I would like to apply it
now? thanks hlb

I did it a long time ago. The wrong way. I'm still paying for it. Make
sure its barn horse manure. If the horses are eating in a field. Weeds
will overrun your garden.

Only if you don't weed often enough :-))

Old 17-12-2010, 02:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote in
u:

Only if you don't weed often enough :-))

True enough, you can buy strilised topsoil and in a week or so there come
the weeds through the damn stuff, and out comes the hoe as always.

Old 17-12-2010, 05:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message news:wildbilly-

Then there is that other stuff about not adding too much for fear of
burning the roots of your plants.

I've begun to think that 'burnign' story is an urban myth. I've yet to kill
anything with horse poop and I'm pretty sloppy about the way I spread it and
sometimes the stuff I spread has come from the insides of a horse less than
a day ago.

I wasn't specifically referring to horse manure. Chicken and rabbit
manure can be toxic to plants, as can alfalfa meal, or fish emulsion, if
not added according to directions.

Manure Chicken Diary cow Horse Steer Rabbit
N 1.1 .257 .70 .70 2.4
P .80 .15 .30 .30 1.4
K .50 .25 .60 .40 .60

Manure Sheep Alfalfa Fish Emulsion
N .70 3 5
P .30 1 1
K .90 2 1
--
- Billy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyE5wjc4XOw
Old 18-12-2010, 01:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message news:wildbilly-

Then there is that other stuff about not adding too much for fear of
burning the roots of your plants.

I've begun to think that 'burnign' story is an urban myth. I've yet to
kill
anything with horse poop and I'm pretty sloppy about the way I spread it
and
sometimes the stuff I spread has come from the insides of a horse less
than
a day ago.

I wasn't specifically referring to horse manure. Chicken and rabbit
manure can be toxic to plants, as can alfalfa meal, or fish emulsion, if
not added according to directions.

I wonder how many people here have ever killed anything with any sort of
fertiliser? I know I haven't.

Anyone want to put up their hand and tell us if you have and if you did,
what did you do?

Old 18-12-2010, 04:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
I wonder how many people here have ever killed anything with any sort of
fertiliser? I know I haven't.

Anyone want to put up their hand and tell us if you have and if you did,
what did you do?

A long long time ago in a far away land. I put too much lawn fertilizer and
roasted my front lawn. However, did it completely KILL it.. No. But I did
BURN it badly where it took all Summer to heal.. Yes.

I have also over fertilized my tomatoes one year. Did it KILL the plants..
NO. Did I have nice ripe tomatoes That year... NO. I did have allot of
beautiful green vines for my tomatoes and NO fruit.

This was done with commercial fertilizer, not animal manure. However, my
little dog poops all over the yard now and where he poops looks nice and
green.

Old 18-12-2010, 07:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
[...]

Too much alfalfa meal on plants in pots. It just fried them. You could
smell the ammonia.

Old 18-12-2010, 03:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dee Dee is offline

"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote in
u:

I wonder how many people here have ever killed anything with any
sort of fertiliser? I know I haven't.

Anyone want to put up their hand and tell us if you have and if
you did, what did you do?

I didn't, but my next-door neighbor did.

One spring we both went to a horse farm and loaded up our small
pickup beds with manure. The manure was maybe 1-3 months old (my
best guess - I used to work with horses).

I spread the manure in my veggie garden, keeping it at least 8 inches
away from the base of any plant. Most of it went around the edges
and in the paths of the garden. I then covered the paths with fresh
straw so I wouldn't be walking in manure. That summer (and the
following summer) I had the biggest, healthiest plants ever, giving
the most prolific yields ever, and the produce was the best and
tastiest that I ever received out of that garden.

Meanwhile, my neighbor, using the same manure forked from the same
pile, spread it at the base of all his plants. In another part of
his garden where he had not yet planted anything, he tilled the
manure into the soil and then a week or so later put in more plants.
That summer he lost more than half the garden. The plants growing in
the tilled area died first, rather quickly, within a month or so.
The plants that had manure at their base struggled the entire summer
to live, either producing very little or nothing, and then died a
long drawn-out death.

Dee

Old 18-12-2010, 09:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Dee wrote:
[...]

Sounds right.

Meanwhile, my neighbor, using the same manure forked from the same
pile, spread it at the base of all his plants. In another part of
his garden where he had not yet planted anything, he tilled the
manure into the soil and then a week or so later put in more plants.
That summer he lost more than half the garden. The plants growing in
the tilled area died first, rather quickly, within a month or so.
The plants that had manure at their base struggled the entire summer
to live, either producing very little or nothing, and then died a
long drawn-out death.

Dee

This is entirely at odds with my experience. I cannot picture 1-3 month old
horse manure doing this. Once it has rotted for a few months you can plant
straight into it, I have a very vigorous self-seeded pumpkin growing in the
manure pile right now. I would say the neighbour added something else (like
a chemfert) and didn't tell you.

David