Old 27-12-2010, 01:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Anyone have a greenhouse.

I'm just wondering if it makes sense. Because I have 5 months of snow. And
I could seed in my house windows. Or my hydro units if I wanted to pay the
electric. And I don't want to heat it. I've got commercial greenhouses
near me that sell awesome starter plants.

Old 27-12-2010, 02:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Dec 26, 8:34*pm, "DogDiesel" wrote:
I'm just wondering if it makes sense. Because I have 5 months of snow. *And
I could seed in my house windows. Or my hydro units if I wanted to pay the
electric. *And I don't want to heat it. * *I've got commercial greenhouses
near me that sell awesome starter plants.

If you have five months of snow, you'll need to heat it during the
winter. I built one for my wife, it's 12' x 14' and is stuck on the
south end of our house. We're just north of Baltimore, Maryland.
During the winter, it gets up to 80 degrees F during a sunny day but
would chill way down at night or on a cloudy day without a heater.

I ran a 220 line out there for heat. She keeps it at 50 degrees F
during the winter and I figured that costs us about $300 in extra
electricity each year. She enjoys gardening in the snow so much that
the extra expense is worth it.

You may want to consider a cold frame instead of a greenhouse. Our
cold frame is a box about 3' high and 14' long with clear plastic
doors on top. This lets the sun heat it up in the early spring for
starting seedlings to get a jump on the planting season.

Paul
Old 27-12-2010, 03:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

Or consider a heated frame using heated soil cables next to your house.

Old 28-12-2010, 11:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

.
You may want to consider a cold frame instead of a greenhouse. Our
cold frame is a box about 3' high and 14' long with clear plastic
doors on top. This lets the sun heat it up in the early spring for
starting seedlings to get a jump on the planting season.

Paul

I love my greenhouse. I currently have my fill of lettuce, peas and
tomatoes (cherry) and peppers.Gosh I guess I have taken things for
granted, I have more than I think! I will start my pepper plants for
the real garden by January 15 and tomato plants by the end of January.
I plant the garden by the begining of April.
I love the fact that the seed catalogs are already in the mail !
Old 29-12-2010, 03:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Dec 28, 6:32*am, "
wrote:
[...]

I love the fact that the seed catalogs are already in the mail !- Hide quoted text -

Between my wife's greenhouse and my greyhouse (the mushroom garden in
the basement) we always have something fresh and interesting on the
table.

Paul

Old 01-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Registered User

I got a similar dilemma about greenhouse. I understand that it needs to be heated during cold winter months but what about the light? As much as I understand most of the vegetables require lots of direct sunlight. Do you provide them an additional artificial lightning? I would love to harvest tomatoes and sweet peppers during winter.