Old 17-02-2011, 02:46 PM
Registered User

Location: Wales, UK
Default Pumpkins

I have Hundred Weight pumpkin seeds and intend to try and grow some whoppers with the kids this year. Does anyone have any tips on growing giant pumpkins they'd like to share?
__________________
--
Dave

Save energy: Insulation Grants UK
Old 17-02-2011, 04:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Feb 17, 9:46*am, DavidofWales DavidofWales.
wrote:
I have Hundred Weight pumpkin seeds and intend to try and grow some
whoppers with the kids this year. *Does anyone have any tips on growing
giant pumpkins they'd like to share?

--
DavidofWales

No personal experience here but I have always heard that you pick one
pumpkin early on and get rid of the rest.
Old 17-02-2011, 04:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 14:46:44 +0000, DavidofWales wrote:

I have Hundred Weight pumpkin seeds and intend to try and grow some
whoppers with the kids this year. Does anyone have any tips on growing
giant pumpkins they'd like to share?

Have a big yard.
Old 17-02-2011, 06:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,

wrote:
I have Hundred Weight pumpkin seeds and intend to try and grow some
whoppers with the kids this year. *Does anyone have any tips on growing
giant pumpkins they'd like to share?

--
DavidofWales

No personal experience here but I have always heard that you pick one
pumpkin early on and get rid of the rest.

Some gardener in Pennsville watered his pumpkins with milk.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

łEvery conflict in the world today has its origin in the
imagination of British map drawers,˛ Author Unknown

Old 17-02-2011, 08:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"jellybean stonerfish" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 14:46:44 +0000, DavidofWales wrote:

I have Hundred Weight pumpkin seeds and intend to try and grow some
whoppers with the kids this year. Does anyone have any tips on growing
giant pumpkins they'd like to share?

Have a big yard.

'

I was going to try too. I had some home roasted pumpkin seeds last year
that were coated in olive oil and roasted in the oven on aluminum foil until
toasty. Awesome. Same person made a couple of pumpkin pies.

Old 17-02-2011, 08:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"DogDiesel" wrote:

"jellybean stonerfish" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 14:46:44 +0000, DavidofWales wrote:

I have Hundred Weight pumpkin seeds and intend to try and grow some
whoppers with the kids this year. Does anyone have any tips on growing
giant pumpkins they'd like to share?

Have a big yard.

'

I was going to try too. I had some home roasted pumpkin seeds last year
that were coated in olive oil and roasted in the oven on aluminum foil until
toasty. Awesome. Same person made a couple of pumpkin pies.

Got folks know about lady godiva pumpkin seeds?

http://masdudiable.com/2010/01/23/edible-pumpkin-seeds/

BTW to the OP with a large yard look at Tahitian Squash sort of a sweet
carrot 2.5 feet long by 5 inch diameter that stores well at room
temperature.

Old 17-02-2011, 08:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"DogDiesel" wrote:

"jellybean stonerfish" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 14:46:44 +0000, DavidofWales wrote:

I have Hundred Weight pumpkin seeds and intend to try and grow some
whoppers with the kids this year. Does anyone have any tips on growing
giant pumpkins they'd like to share?

Have a big yard.

'

I was going to try too. I had some home roasted pumpkin seeds last year
that were coated in olive oil and roasted in the oven on aluminum foil until
toasty. Awesome. Same person made a couple of pumpkin pies.

I layer shelled pumpkin seed on in a toaster over. Light sprinkle of
soy sauce. Then abour 400 F. till the snapping is almost done. Better
to err on the early side. Addictive.

Old 17-02-2011, 09:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

DavidofWales wrote:
I have Hundred Weight pumpkin seeds and intend to try and grow some
whoppers with the kids this year. Does anyone have any tips on
growing giant pumpkins they'd like to share?

Good deep soil with lots of manure, full sun, plenty of water especially
when it is hot, mulch well, long hot growing season and keep the fungi at
bay. Thin out the set fruit to only a small number.

David

Old 17-02-2011, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
In article ,
"DogDiesel" wrote:

"jellybean stonerfish" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 14:46:44 +0000, DavidofWales wrote:

I have Hundred Weight pumpkin seeds and intend to try and grow some
whoppers with the kids this year. Does anyone have any tips on
growing
giant pumpkins they'd like to share?

Have a big yard.

'

I was going to try too. I had some home roasted pumpkin seeds last year
that were coated in olive oil and roasted in the oven on aluminum foil
until
toasty. Awesome. Same person made a couple of pumpkin pies.

Got folks know about lady godiva pumpkin seeds?

http://masdudiable.com/2010/01/23/edible-pumpkin-seeds/

Guess what, The ones I ate were roasted shell on. I ate the shells.
Didn't know.

Old 17-02-2011, 10:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"DogDiesel" wrote:

"jellybean stonerfish" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 14:46:44 +0000, DavidofWales wrote:

I have Hundred Weight pumpkin seeds and intend to try and grow some
whoppers with the kids this year. Does anyone have any tips on
growing
giant pumpkins they'd like to share?

Have a big yard.

'

I was going to try too. I had some home roasted pumpkin seeds last year
that were coated in olive oil and roasted in the oven on aluminum foil
until
toasty. Awesome. Same person made a couple of pumpkin pies.

Got folks know about lady godiva pumpkin seeds?

http://masdudiable.com/2010/01/23/edible-pumpkin-seeds/

Guess what, The ones I ate were roasted shell on. I ate the shells.
Didn't know.

A common practice and labor intensive )). I used to eat them and
they were white with salt. Fun to eat and spit out.

A good reason to grow your own below.

http://www.amazon.com/Bergin-Nut-Com...dp/B001EQ4NNO/
ref=sr_1_3?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1297980536&sr=1-3

Old 17-02-2011, 11:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Tahitian Squash [was; Pumpkins]

Bill who putters wrote:
-snip-

BTW to the OP with a large yard look at Tahitian Squash sort of a sweet
carrot 2.5 feet long by 5 inch diameter that stores well at room
temperature.

'stores well' doesn't tell the whole story. These buggers are 10-15
pounds [or 8-30 if you believe these guys;
http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_...item_no=S10676
] and are supposed to store 'on the counter' after you cut a couple
pounds off.
http://articles.latimes.com/2007/oct...od/fo-market31

Damn you Bill!! I just lost 100 sq feet of garden to a new
'experiment'.g

Jim

Old 18-02-2011, 03:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Thos wrote:
I do know that the guys that grow the giant pumpkin contest winners
feed them milk when they get big, for whatever that's worth.

OK I will bite. How do you feed a pumpkin with milk?

Old 18-02-2011, 04:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
DavidofWales wrote:
I have Hundred Weight pumpkin seeds and intend to try and grow some
whoppers with the kids this year. Does anyone have any tips on
growing giant pumpkins they'd like to share?

Good deep soil with lots of manure, full sun, plenty of water especially
when it is hot, mulch well, long hot growing season and keep the fungi at
bay. Thin out the set fruit to only a small number.

And take off the last foot of the vine when it reached 5 ft long as that
encourages the vine to set fruit.

Old 18-02-2011, 05:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

DavidofWales wrote:
I have Hundred Weight pumpkin seeds and intend to try and grow some
whoppers with the kids this year. Does anyone have any tips on
growing giant pumpkins they'd like to share?

Good deep soil with lots of manure, full sun, plenty of water
especially when it is hot, mulch well, long hot growing season and
keep the fungi at bay. Thin out the set fruit to only a small
number.

And take off the last foot of the vine when it reached 5 ft long as
that encourages the vine to set fruit.

Don't we want a big vine feeding only a few fruit? I would let the vine run
and keep thinning as they set.

Pumpkins on a Slope? Do Deer Eat Pumpkins? (etc.) contrapositive Edible Gardening 3 23-04-2004 04:04 PM
Pumpkins on a Slope? Do Deer Eat Pumpkins? (etc.) contrapositive Gardening 0 22-04-2004 02:02 AM
Hulless-seeded pumpkins David Auker Edible Gardening 0 04-11-2003 04:12 AM
Pumpkins Jon United Kingdom 3 24-06-2003 01:56 PM
Bugs & pumpkins SG1 Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:32 AM