Old 10-05-2011, 08:26 AM
Registered User

Default Broadforking after planting?

Due to some poor planning on my part, my nifty new broadfork with 14" tines is going to arrive after I've already planted three rows of corn. One row will have been in for 12 days, and the other two rows about 5 days. As of today (day 8 ) the oldest row is just poking out through the soil, and tallest shoots are about an inch high.

Can I safely broadfork between and around the rows without killing the seedlings if I'm gentle? I have some pretty hard soil below the top few inches that I've tilled and furrowed, and I'm thinking that some 'forking would help once they try to grow deeper roots.

But only if I'm not going to kill what I've already planted. Would a gentle lift-and-jiggle hurt them?

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2011, 12:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default sunshine requirements for vegetables

On Tue, 10 May 2011 07:25:47 +0000, coykiesaol
wrote:

hello!

I live in a city and I have a small garden. The sunshine that I have in
some places is a bit limited but in other (places of the garden) is
better.

I have already planted some vegetables (Cucurbitaceae, rain-fed melon,
pumpkin, beans) in cups and now I want to plant them at the garden.

Do you know which of them have the most sunshine requirements ?
thanks a lot!

All of the ones listed need maximum sun to thrive and produce a crop,
there are some veges that will do with less sun but not those where
you eat the fruit. It takes much energy to grow fruit especially the
big ones like pumpkins.

If your sunlight is very limited try less demanding veges like leafy
greens and herbs.

BTW in a small garden pumpkin is your last choice, at the moment I
have one plant that covers about 60 sq m, it isn't the largest I
grown.

What is a rain fed melon?

David
Old 10-05-2011, 03:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
coykiesaol wrote:

hello!

I live in a city and I have a small garden. The sunshine that I have in
some places is a bit limited but in other (places of the garden) is
better.

I have already planted some vegetables (Cucurbitaceae, rain-fed melon,
pumpkin, beans) in cups and now I want to plant them at the garden.

Do you know which of them have the most sunshine requirements ?
thanks a lot!

Some of my green beans only get 4 hours of full sun, plus a couple of
hours of filtered sun. They are in an experimental bed, to see what can
be grown. The bed is only a year old, and last year was a cool year here
in coastal N. California. The "Maxibel" and "Fin de Bagnol" green beans
produce some beans. Melons require warmth, and at least 6 hours of full
sun, more is better.

Lettuce and Swiss chard do reasonably well in low sunlight situations.
Squash will produce with only 5 hours of full sunlight. "Bill Who
Putters" has even less sun than myself, and may be able to add to the
list of viable, low-sunlight plants.
--
- Billy

Bush's 3rd term: Obama plus another elective war
Bush's 4th term: another Judas goat

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://theuptake.org/2011/03/05/michael-moore-the-big-lie-wisconsin-is-broke/