Old 28-05-2011, 07:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Winter squash or pumpkin?

Billy wrote:

In article ,
David Hare-Scott wrote:

On Fri, 27 May 2011 16:54:46 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
David Hare-Scott wrote:

So in the USA how do you distinguish pumpkins from winter squash? Is
pumpkin a subset of winter squash or are some pumpkins not also winter
squash?

Squash that is to be used fresh is summer squash. Squash with hard skins
that can be saved are winter squash.
See:http://www.reimerseeds.com/squash_663.aspx

So far so good. What is the difference between a winter squash and a
pumpkin?

Traditionally, pumpkins are round and orange, like these.
http://henryfields.com/pumpkin-seed/c/108/

Or red, or white, or green, or blue, or grey like these-
http://www.pumpkinnook.com/facts/colors.htm

I think they *are* what the seed monger says they are.

Jim
Old 30-05-2011, 06:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 May 2011 16:54:46 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
David Hare-Scott wrote:

So in the USA how do you distinguish pumpkins from winter squash? Is
pumpkin a subset of winter squash or are some pumpkins not also winter
squash?

Squash that is to be used fresh is summer squash. Squash with hard skins
that can be saved are winter squash.
See:http://www.reimerseeds.com/squash_663.aspx

So far so good. What is the difference between a winter squash and a
pumpkin?

:-))) I've been sitting back chuckling. I knew when you asked the question
what a can of worms you were opening after seeing the responses to the same
question in the thread I mentioned earlier which I saw in another ng.

Old 30-05-2011, 07:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
David Hare-Scott wrote:

On Fri, 27 May 2011 16:54:46 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
David Hare-Scott wrote:

So in the USA how do you distinguish pumpkins from winter squash? Is
pumpkin a subset of winter squash or are some pumpkins not also winter
squash?

Squash that is to be used fresh is summer squash. Squash with hard skins
that can be saved are winter squash.
See:http://www.reimerseeds.com/squash_663.aspx

So far so good. What is the difference between a winter squash and a
pumpkin?

Traditionally, pumpkins are round and orange, like these.
http://henryfields.com/pumpkin-seed/c/108/

LOL. We're all gardeners here so we all should know that colour and shape
has very little to do with what we call this variety.

David, I'd suggest that you get hold of the 2 seed saving books; the US
"Seed to Seed" and the Australian one "The Seedsavers handbook" and read
what they have to say.

Not that either of those books are particularly illuminating - in fact they
just confirm what I've decided and that is to call it whatever you choose.

The US one says "'all pumpkins are squash. Pumpkins are not even a
'subspecies' (group)". This book says - Hubbards are C. maxima, the Cushaws
are C. mixta (although I notice that one called the Golden Cushaw is
supposed to be a C. moschata), butternuts are C. moschata, crooknecks are C.
pepo (as are zucchini).

The Australian one says 'pumpkin and squash are interchangeable terms,
depending on what country you live in.'

After you've read these books, you'll realise that calling the plants one
thing or another is just a matter of national habit.

You may find this site interesting (or not):
http://www.clovegarden.com/ingred/squash.html

Old 30-05-2011, 03:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

u...
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 May 2011 16:54:46 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
David Hare-Scott wrote:

So in the USA how do you distinguish pumpkins from winter squash? Is
pumpkin a subset of winter squash or are some pumpkins not also winter
squash?

Squash that is to be used fresh is summer squash. Squash with hard skins
that can be saved are winter squash.
See:http://www.reimerseeds.com/squash_663.aspx

So far so good. What is the difference between a winter squash and a
pumpkin?

:-))) I've been sitting back chuckling. I knew when you asked the
question what a can of worms you were opening after seeing the responses
to the same question in the thread I mentioned earlier which I saw in
another ng.

Agreed, I've thoroughly enjoyed this thread and we didn't even get to the
other genus (genii?) in the curcubit family.
Steve

Old 01-06-2011, 06:18 AM
Registered User

The name often Alternated with pumpkin Squash. The Majority Of The varieties, which are called pumpkin Orange fruit has a very long time ago stems and vines, have stronger, more rigid, and squarer than and other squashes.