Old 24-10-2011, 11:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Courgette Rot

FarmI wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Alphatono wrote:
This year I had massive issues with rot on the end of my
courgette & at the base of the plants I had it on all 5 plants
& then on my squash.

Any idea what it could be & will it affect me next year. Was
all find previous years.

Google "blossom end rot" for a million hits. You are probably
watering unevenly. Unless it is deficient calcium in the soil
watering evenly in future should fix it.

or you need honey bees.

???? Would the courgettes have started to grow enough to get a
rotted end if the flower hadn't been visited by a bee?

Apparently they do start to grow while infertile and only continue
to grow if fertilised. I am unsure how big they will get as I
usually have to shoo away the bees to get near them.

That's interesting. Does the same thing happen with other
fruits/veg that is really a fruit?

Some plants produce full fruit without fertilisation, it's called
parthenocarpy. For example bananas, some oranges and watermelons. Most
fruits don't develop very much at all and fall while tiny and
hard if not fertilised. I don't know how many partially develop if
not fertilised.

Watermelons do that!!! Most interesting. I'd always assumed that
they were like the other members of the melon family and needed to be
grown on their own if you were a seed saver. Must plant some of
those sun and moon ones now I know that bit of info.

I take it you don't want your moon and stars to produce hybrid seed.

No I wouldn't.

Maybe
I am thick today but I don't understand how this aim relates to
parthenocarpy.

No, I'm being thick today. I'll still have to grow my stars and moon
watermelons on thier own. Bummer.

Old 24-10-2011, 11:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

u...
FarmI wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Alphatono wrote:
[...]

I read that as some oranges and "some" watermelons. I could of course be
wrong, I am a male.

Hmm. I read it as David wrote it. Some oranges and watermelons. I took
him to mean all watermelons ie all varities thereof.

My problem was that I then went off too far and forgot that other melons in
the vercinity (sp???) might/would/could also fertilise those watermelons.

Now I'm just totally confused. I'm going to bed. Perhaps this will make
more sense on the morrow. Or perhaps I'll just not grow any melons other
than rockmelons.

Old 24-10-2011, 04:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

FarmI wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Alphatono wrote:
[...]

I take it you don't want your moon and stars to produce hybrid seed. Maybe
I am thick today but I don't understand how this aim relates to
parthenocarpy.

Thanks for this little foray. I'd always thought that parthenocarpy
meant seedless. Now I know why ;O)
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy.

Kucinich noted that none of the government programs targeted for
elimination or severe cutback in House Republican spending plans
"appeared on the GAO's list of government programs at high risk of
waste, fraud and abuse."
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/state...is-kucinich/re
p-dennis-kucinich-says-gop-budget-cuts-dont-targ/

[W]e have the situation with the deficit and the debt and spending and jobs. And itıs not that difficult to get out of it. The first thing you do is you get rid of corporate welfare. Thatıs hundreds of billions of dollars a year. The second is you tax corporations so that they donıt get away with no taxation.
- Ralph Nader
http://www.democracynow.org/2011/7/19/ralph_naders_solution_to_debt_crisis

when mildew isn't mildew T[_4_] Edible Gardening 1 16-08-2016 06:09 AM
Pea or not a pea Marq United Kingdom 2 26-03-2010 11:24 AM
mildew on roses Theresa Chao Roses 4 08-04-2003 03:56 PM
Rosemary mold/mildew? Jack Curry Edible Gardening 5 12-03-2003 03:56 PM
DOWNEY MILDEW rosy Roses 4 13-02-2003 05:25 PM