Old 25-12-2012, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT Phone problems on Xmas day.

Had no problems with internet today, but I am unable to make and receive
phone calls.
This morning I wasn't even getting a dialling tone, but get that now,
also had the phone ring but still ringing when I picked it up, anyone
else had problems today?
David @ the damp end of Swansea bay.
Old 25-12-2012, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
Had no problems with internet today, but I am unable to make and receive
phone calls.
This morning I wasn't even getting a dialling tone, but get that now, also
had the phone ring but still ringing when I picked it up, anyone else had
problems today?
David @ the damp end of Swansea bay.

Sounds like a handset problem from here. Have you tried another phone in any
other sockets?

Mike

Old 25-12-2012, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/12/2012 21:06, 'Mike' wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message
Had no problems with internet today, but I am unable to make and
receive phone calls.
This morning I wasn't even getting a dialling tone, but get that now,
also had the phone ring but still ringing when I picked it up, anyone
else had problems today?
David @ the damp end of Swansea bay.

Sounds like a handset problem from here. Have you tried another phone in
any other sockets?

Mike

Thats the first thing, and unpluged all then tried 1 at a time, and did
all the other tests a 5 year old would know about.

Old 25-12-2012, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
On 25/12/2012 21:06, 'Mike' wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message
Had no problems with internet today, but I am unable to make and
receive phone calls.
This morning I wasn't even getting a dialling tone, but get that now,
also had the phone ring but still ringing when I picked it up, anyone
else had problems today?
David @ the damp end of Swansea bay.

Sounds like a handset problem from here. Have you tried another phone in
any other sockets?

Mike

Thats the first thing, and unpluged all then tried 1 at a time, and did
all the other tests a 5 year old would know about.

Sorry I can't help further. It's rather a long time since I was teaching
Telephone Engineers the 700 and the HES 4 Telephone Systems and all of your
faults point to a mechanical fault on the switch hooks when you pick the
handset up.

Take the top/side/bottom off a phone now and I haven't a clue.

I guess it must be an exchange fault :-(

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Mike

Old 25-12-2012, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
Had no problems with internet today, but I am unable to make and receive
phone calls.
This morning I wasn't even getting a dialling tone, but get that now, also
had the phone ring but still ringing when I picked it up, anyone else had
problems today?
David @ the damp end of Swansea bay.

David your fault has got me 'fascinated'. If it comes back on and you don't
get dialing tone, can you call you from a mobile? I think you may find you
are engaged.

Long Shot. An external calling device(?) has got wet and has 'called the
exchange' and you 'appear engaged' by virtue of a low resistance circuit and
the dialing tone, (which is switched on when you pick up the receive) has
been removed.

All of the above works on DC, (at least it did) and the calling circuit is
AC (at least it was)

Love to know when you get it cleared what it was

Mike

Old 26-12-2012, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message ...

Had no problems with internet today, but I am unable to make and receive
phone calls.
This morning I wasn't even getting a dialling tone, but get that now, also
had the phone ring but still ringing when I picked it up, anyone else had
problems today?
David @ the damp end of Swansea bay.

Do you have a modern master socket? The type that has a split face plate
allowing you to remove half to reveal the internal socket? If so, do so and
plug a known good handset directly into that. This eliminates faults with
internal house wiring.

Mike (The muddy one)