Old 19-07-2012, 07:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Venting about varmints

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 10:54:36 -0400, songbird
wrote:

George wrote:
songbird wrote:
George wrote:
Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Oh, I hate groundhogs.

re bait: I don't use any. I find where they run - at least here, they
leave a 'belly track' in the grass. They seem to like to go alongside a
fence or wall. I set the trap right in the run, with a 'V' at each
entrance to guide them in, made of ~8"-high plywood strips. I've gotten
10 so far this year.

that is funny. is this a wire cage type trap 1x1x3ft
or so?

Yeah. Hav-a-Hart.

we just lent ours to our nephew, so i can't set it back
out, but i hadn't seen any critters for a few weeks and
the bean patches have been left alone since i plinked one
good with the air rifle. then the other day one was at
the front of the bean patch eating the clover. i'd never
seen one run so fast as when i opened the patio door to
plink at it again. never was able to get a shot off.
they may not see very good, but they can hear. i think it
must be a groundhog because i don't think muskrats get
as big as this.

what do you do with them when you catch them? are they
good eating?

I reprogram them. 0% recidivism.

Old 20-07-2012, 12:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

George wrote:
songbird wrote:
George wrote:
Pat Kiewicz wrote:

[...]

It's amazing what a stern talking-to will do to alter attitudes.

Damn Varmints ate my Duckweed! Bill Stock Ponds 11 18-07-2005 11:08 PM
[IBC] a little venting Lisa Miller Bonsai 17 08-03-2004 05:46 PM
GH Venting vs. Exhaust Fan w/ shutters??? Lori Siegmund Orchids 7 15-02-2004 08:06 PM
Tulips and Varmints MJC North Carolina 8 01-05-2003 05:46 PM
Tulips and Varmints MJC North Carolina 7 06-03-2003 02:39 AM