Old 04-03-2013, 05:05 AM
Registered User

Default tell me about dwarf cherry tree/ bushes

What varieties are out there...i keep seeing sugar sweet herry bushes. Ive seen them on several sites but the info isnt uniform. I have a small area in the yard that gets sun from dawn till dusk and want to plant 3 dwarf trees. From what i have gathered i need to plant these about 6'-8' apart. In odder to get fhe third one in there i will have to stagger them. So the from plant would have to be in the middle of the two bu im thinking about 4' in front. The one variety that i keep seeing is a self pollinater. Can i put blackberry or raspberry bushes in the same area? Or should i just put them in my "mostly lit" garden area?

Any real info from real experiences would be greatly appreciated. Are there better or other varieties out there?

I want black/ sweet cherries only. I am not interested in the tart. I live in michigan so tart cherries are extremely easy to get.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default can i revive my apple tree?

raptorvan wrote:

About a decade ago we "cut down" our apple tree. Took it dow except the
trunk. The truck is easily rockable. It moves freely. However...about
6yrs ago it began to develop new branches and has grown a new section
even though the trunk is so easily movable. A couple years ago it began
to flower and produce small fruits. Last summer i tasted a few that had
actually turned red which is something that never happened to the
origional sections which is why we cut it down. They tasted great but
they were small and not all of them turned.

So now i want to revive this tree so it produces a real harvest. Right
now i will grow a few dozen small apples and about half of them make it
to maturity. How can i restore this tree? By all acounts everything
appears dead except the new growth. The trunk barely has any back
besides the one side that has the new growth. Can this tree be saved or
will it just kind of limp along?

look into a technique called "grafting"
as that will likely be the best method for
saving this particular tree.

what is growing is diseased and damaged,
if you can take a branch and graft it on
fresh rootstock then you will have a much
healthier tree to base your next efforts
upon.

and of course, there is no need to do only
one graft. often people will take many grafts
and some of them work out (and others don't).

songbird