Old 12-04-2004, 05:03 AM
Larry Racies

Default Where can I buy a mature dwarf Cherry tree in the NYC area?

Looking for a tree about 8; high that will propagate my Bing Cherry.
It will be planted in a container on a terrace in a Manhattan high-rise.

thanks,
larry
Old 12-04-2004, 06:02 AM
Sherwin Dubren

Hi Larry,
Millers Nursery in Canadaigua, New York is selling what they call
an X-tra Dwarfed Bing Cherry, which grows to about 6-7 feet high. Their
phone number is 1-800-836-9630. I have never grown this particular tree,
so I can't personally endorse it. I have grown other miniatures, like
Apricots and Nectarines, but unfortunately they all died on me. If you can
bring the tree into your apartment in the colder weather, that might
make a big difference. I am in zone 5.

Sherwin D.

Old 12-04-2004, 02:02 PM
Larry Racies

From: Sherwin Dubren
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 04:43:40 GMT

Thanks very much for your suggestion, Sherwin, but what you suggest poses
problems for me.

I'm told that a Bing Cherry will not propagate another Bing,
shipping a B&B tree from Canadaigua, which is far from the NYC area,
would be prohibitive and moving the tree into my apartment in the winter
would necessitate my family moving out, so I guess I'll have to keep
looking.

However, I still appreciate your efforts.

Thanks,

Larry

Old 12-04-2004, 03:02 PM
Mary McHugh

Larry Racies wrote:

Thanks very much for your suggestion, Sherwin, but what you suggest poses
problems for me.

I'm told that a Bing Cherry will not propagate another Bing,
shipping a B&B tree from Canadaigua, which is far from the NYC area,
would be prohibitive and moving the tree into my apartment in the winter
would necessitate my family moving out, so I guess I'll have to keep
looking.

I'm looking at the latest Miller's catalog. The trees are shipped as
bareroot "whips" so the shipping cost will be in the $8-$10 dollar range
for a $25 tree. They're having a half-price sale so two trees will be
in the $38 range, for the most expensive varieties. The full size
cherry trees they sell are 4-5' tall right now, the dwarfs are 3-4'. As
you know, Canadaigua is much colder than NYC, so these trees are bred
for cold, harsh conditions. With a little wind protection in winter, I
don't see why they'd have to come inside.

They have a variety of cherries still available. In the dwarf category,
they have the Lapins and the CompacStella. Both are subzero hardy to
-20 degrees. Both are sold as 3-4' tall trees. The description for the
Lapins reads:
"Compact, a true dwarf, it's a natural selection for cherry lovers with
the severest of space limitations"

Your other option would be to go out to the burbs to a gardening center,
Home Depot, or Lowes and see what they have. A nursery/gardening center
may have some dwarf stock but they're going to be balled and heavy and
very expensive. HD or Lowes _might_ have dwarf cherry but their stock
isn't always the hardiest. There's always the possibility that why you
buy isn't what you think it is as tags get misplaced, etc.

I think it's worth giving Miller's a call or go to their website:
www.millernurseries.com

BTW, I'm in the southwest CT area and have had apple trees shipped here
from Millers. They also guarantee their stock for a year.

HTH,

Mary

Old 12-04-2004, 03:35 PM
zxcvbob

Larry Racies wrote:

Looking for a tree about 8; high that will propagate my Bing Cherry.
It will be planted in a container on a terrace in a Manhattan high-rise.

thanks,
larry

Can you plant a standard sour cherry tree? They are naturally dwarf
(will top out about about 14' if you don't prune them at all) and begin
blooming in just a couple of years. They are also hardier than sweet
cherries, and more useful for cooking. I'm pretty sure a sour cherry
will pollinate a Bing. You should be able to get a nice one in a 5
gallon container for a *lot* less than $100.

Best regards,
Bob

Old 12-04-2004, 04:05 PM
Larry Racies

From: Mary McHugh
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 09:41:44 -0400

Thank you, Mary, for your exhaustive recap of my situation.

The first suggeation of yours that I'm going to explore is to scope out
local nurseries. I don't mind paying for a larger B&B tree and for having
it trucked here by a place in this area because I've had bad luck with bare
root trees.

Thank you so much.,

Larry

Old 12-04-2004, 04:05 PM
Larry Racies

From: zxcvbob
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 09:09:31 -0500

Larry Racies wrote:

Looking for a tree about 8; high that will propagate my Bing Cherry.
It will be planted in a container on a terrace in a Manhattan high-rise.

thanks,
larry

Can you plant a standard sour cherry tree?

I sure can, Bob, and I'm going out right now to look for one.

Thanks a bunch,

Larry

Old 12-04-2004, 06:33 PM
zxcvbob

Larry Racies wrote:

Looking for a tree about 8; high that will propagate my Bing Cherry.
It will be planted in a container on a terrace in a Manhattan high-rise.

thanks,
larry

Can you plant a standard sour cherry tree?

I sure can, Bob, and I'm going out right now to look for one.

Thanks a bunch,

Larry

Before you plunk down your money, look up the variety you picked and
make *sure* it can be used as a pollenizer for Bing. They might not be
compatible, or they might not bloom at the same time.

Best regards,
Bob
Old 13-04-2004, 07:32 AM
Sherwin Dubren

Larry,
I'm not sure what you mean by 'propagating' another Bing. Maybe you meant to
say
pollinating. The Bing cherry is self pollinating (one of about three varieties
of
cherry who are). Another words, it can produce cherries, all by itself. I
don't
know why you have had trouble with bare root trees. I have planted numerous
bare
root trees, and they almost always work out ok. If not, they are guaranteed by
places like Millers. The comment about sour cherries is correct in that it
blossoms
earlier than sweet cherries, but since the Bing is self fertile, you don't need
a sour
for pollination. Also, if you intend to grow a sour cherry to maturity, you
will need
a humungous pot to hold this 14 foot tree. I may have overstated the fact of
having to
take your tree inside for the winter, because it seemed like the cold may have
killed
my trees. However, it depends on other factors like what direction does your
balcony
face. You may be able to build some kind of wooden wind shield around the pot,
or
provide protection some other way. I think you will have trouble finding a
dwarf
cherry with a root ball, at a nursery. Order the bare root. Don't let the
roots dry
out (soak them in water for a few hours), and try to plant it soon after
arrival.

Sherwin

From: Sherwin Dubren
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible

Old 19-04-2004, 12:03 AM
Richard

Sherwin Dubren wrote in
:

Larry,
I'm not sure what you mean by 'propagating' another Bing. Maybe you
meant to
say
pollinating. The Bing cherry is self pollinating (one of about three
varieties of
cherry who are). Another words, it can produce cherries, all by
itself.

....everything else snipped off for brevity...

Bing cherry trees are not self-pollinating. See

http://www.raintreenursery.com/pollin_cherry.html

for a pollinization chart for sweet cherry varieties.

tell me about dwarf cherry tree/ bushes raptorvan Edible Gardening 1 04-03-2013 03:30 PM
Mature Cherry Tree squaredog Gardening 5 02-03-2012 03:31 AM
dwarf vs. ultra dwarf fruit trees Me Gardening 4 11-11-2008 08:42 PM
Dwarf Apple & Dwarf Avocada Tree Questions JorgNS Gardening 2 01-02-2005 04:52 AM
Orchid show (NYC area) RPM1 Orchids 0 23-02-2004 12:08 AM