Old 09-12-2013, 11:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default seed catalogs

Received the first one of the season today. Tomato Growers. Does anyone actually order from these?
MJ
Old 19-04-2014, 05:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Winters_Lackey wrote:
songbird wrote:

or find a local person or group who doesn't have any
garden space and let them have at it. a shame to let
a good garden go to idle.

I garden two yards, plus 2 plots in our community garden, and I'd happily
take on more if it were available.

that's a bit of fun. where are you at?

songbird
Old 19-04-2014, 10:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote in
:

Winters_Lackey wrote:
songbird wrote:

or find a local person or group who doesn't have any
garden space and let them have at it. a shame to let
a good garden go to idle.

I garden two yards, plus 2 plots in our community garden, and I'd
happily take on more if it were available.

that's a bit of fun. where are you at?

songbird

A first ring suburb of St. Louis, Missouri, USA.

--
--Bryan
"The 1960's called. They want their recipe back."
Old 21-04-2014, 03:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Winters_Lackey wrote:
songbird wrote:
Winters_Lackey wrote:

I garden two yards, plus 2 plots in our community garden, and I'd
happily take on more if it were available.

that's a bit of fun. where are you at?

A first ring suburb of St. Louis, Missouri, USA.

i'd assume that means the lot sizes are not
very large?

are you growing for market or for mostly your
own use or ?

songbird
Old 22-04-2014, 12:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote in news:b5ee2b-a99.ln1@ID-
306963.user.uni-berlin.de:

Winters_Lackey wrote:
songbird wrote:
Winters_Lackey wrote:

I garden two yards, plus 2 plots in our community garden, and I'd
happily take on more if it were available.

that's a bit of fun. where are you at?

A first ring suburb of St. Louis, Missouri, USA.

i'd assume that means the lot sizes are not
very large?

Both lots are 6750 sq ft, but our house takes up quite a bit of it. The
little house we rent out is very small, and has a big back yard that I
do not rent with the house. The raised beds in the community garden are
each ~50 sq ft.

are you growing for market or for mostly your
own use or ?

Exclusively for our own use. Anything we can't use, we give to
family/friends/neighbors/whomever. Last autumn I took a bunch of
sunchokes to a coffee shop that I frequent occasionally, and some to the
Penzey's spice store for the employees. This year, I might consider
selling the sunchokes, though we really should eat more of them. They
are full of inulin, which is a prebiotic that feeds the nice yogurt
bacterias.

Fun fact, though bacteria is already plural, when refering to more than
one species of bacteria, it is correct to use the word, bacterias.

I've posted enough times here that I really should introduce myself. My
name is obviously Bryan, and I'm a 53 YO happily married guy who is
fairly obsessed with edible gardening, though it took decades for me to
get good at it. I'm also into cooking from scratch. I've taken a
sabatical from working outside the home to finish my first novel, so I
have lots of time to devote to those two passions.

I've been on Usenet for 16+ years, mostly alt.punk (I'm an aged punk
rocker who sang in a crazy lefty fusion punk band for 10+ years), and
more recently, rec.food.cooking, where bad cooking and flame wars are
far too frequent. One thing that might be of interest to this NG, or
might not, is my layman's knowledge of dietary fats. rec.gardens.edible
seems to be mostly on-topic, and that is a happy thing.

songbird

Old 22-04-2014, 04:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Winters_Lackey wrote:
songbird wrote:
Winters_Lackey wrote:
songbird wrote:
Winters_Lackey wrote:

I garden two yards, plus 2 plots in our community garden, and I'd
happily take on more if it were available.

that's a bit of fun. where are you at?

A first ring suburb of St. Louis, Missouri, USA.

i'd assume that means the lot sizes are not
very large?

Both lots are 6750 sq ft, but our house takes up quite a bit of it. The
little house we rent out is very small, and has a big back yard that I
do not rent with the house. The raised beds in the community garden are
each ~50 sq ft.

oh, ok, thanks, we're on 1.84acres (www.anthive.com is
the website, most pics are in the flowers section, but
there's others about too)... mostly gardens and decorations
now and not much grass/lawn left.

we're just starting our busy season. recently i'm
digging up some chives to reclaim the space that has
been taken over by them and using them to raise up
the neighboring garden. good clean fun.

i would have a hard time downsizing to fit things
into a small lot again. at present i'm being tempted
by a house for sale a bit from here that has 3 acres.
can't quite bring myself to do it, but would love to
be on a big enough place to actually be considered a
farm.

are you growing for market or for mostly your
own use or ?

Exclusively for our own use. Anything we can't use, we give to
family/friends/neighbors/whomever. Last autumn I took a bunch of
sunchokes to a coffee shop that I frequent occasionally, and some to the
Penzey's spice store for the employees. This year, I might consider
selling the sunchokes, though we really should eat more of them. They
are full of inulin, which is a prebiotic that feeds the nice yogurt
bacterias.

i would like to eat more cooked veggies from
the brassicas, but my Ma hates the smell of
cooked brassicas so i'm growing most of them
for fresh eating and they will be in reserve
for food if times get tough (turnips, rutabagas).
this next week Ma is visiting a friend so i
expect to get out and find a few turnips to
cook up.

mostly i am trying different things in various
combinations, dealing with heavy clay soil (with a
little sand) in most places, flood chances at times,
figuring out how to get fill and elevation using
organic matter for some of that. many things always
going on here. keeps me interested and amused.
love the wildlife and get frustrated by it at times
too. bunnies and deer. luckily for the most
important gardens where we grow most of the veggies
i have a nice tall fence.

our major crops are strawberries, tomatoes, beans,
peas, onions, garlic. and then there's a bunch of
stuff i grow as critter food (for the worms or for
wildlife). and then many decorative flowers to keep
the pollinators happy. i try to keep something in
bloom then whole season and it seems to be working
as we always have bees around.

Fun fact, though bacteria is already plural, when refering to more than
one species of bacteria, it is correct to use the word, bacterias.

i'm currently doing a trial of probiotics and
was amused to find that some of the bacterial
species used are also those found in dirt.

I've posted enough times here that I really should introduce myself. My
name is obviously Bryan, and I'm a 53 YO happily married guy who is
fairly obsessed with edible gardening, though it took decades for me to
get good at it. I'm also into cooking from scratch. I've taken a
sabatical from working outside the home to finish my first novel, so I
have lots of time to devote to those two passions.

welcome.

i'm always interested in talking about pretty much
any garden topic if i have the time and experience.
many garden veggies i have no experience with so i
tend to hope others will fill in those gaps.

I've been on Usenet for 16+ years, mostly alt.punk (I'm an aged punk
rocker who sang in a crazy lefty fusion punk band for 10+ years), and
more recently, rec.food.cooking, where bad cooking and flame wars are
far too frequent. One thing that might be of interest to this NG, or
might not, is my layman's knowledge of dietary fats. rec.gardens.edible
seems to be mostly on-topic, and that is a happy thing.

i've read usenet since before the great renaming, but
only written later. way back it was fun that you could
read the entire newsfeed each day.

yes, i'm glad we're doing well in that regards too,
but it is a challenge for me to not reply to the OT
posts. also helps to mark threads [OT] for those who
have filters set up.

ah, so it is going to rain here after all. good
deal. i love not having to water and it gives me
a break to let my muscles catch up with my efforts.
each spring i have to work back into shape.

songbird

Old 06-05-2014, 06:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Winters_Lackey wrote:
songbird wrote:
Winters_Lackey wrote:

[...]

Sunchokes, aka Jerusalem artichokes, are very good when pickled. At our
old place we had a stand of sunchokes that had been in the ground over
twenty years. Fried, stewed, baked they gave us a tremendous amount of
intestinal gas, pickled, nary a problem. Even the great grands like
them. We deliberately didn't bring starts with us as they take up a
large amount of space. We downsized from a 14,000 square foot lot with
an 1875 square foot house on it to one with 6500 square feet and a 1960
square foot house.

[...]

I probably should introduce myself too, some of the folks on here know
me from rec.food.preserving. George Shirley, age 74, soon to be 75, been
gardening and preserving food since I could walk, married 54 years come
December, two kids, five grandkids, six great grands, all within driving
range of us now that we're home again in Texas. Retired oilfield trash
and, yes, we even gardened in Saudi while we were there and again in
Yemen. Been on UseNet since 1990, got my first computer in 1982, an
Osborne One, anyone remember those? I do ninety percent of the cooking
in this house and one hundred percent of the cleaning up after myself.
Never could carry a tune but love music of all kinds, was/still am a
fifties rocker. Former USN and don't miss being at sea.

George
Old 06-05-2014, 11:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote in news:53691d56$0$19184$862e30e2
@ngroups.net:

George Shirley

You used to be somewhat of a regular in rec.food.cooking. It's gotten even
worse.

--
--Bryan
Old 07-05-2014, 01:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Winters_Lackey wrote:
George Shirley wrote in
news:53691d56$0$19184$862e30e2 @ngroups.net:

George Shirley

You used to be somewhat of a regular in rec.food.cooking. It's
gotten even worse.

When I was there ( some years ago) the problem was too many extended ****ing
competitions over who has the biggest collection of very expensive pans (or
knives, or gadgets...) and whether black truffles were really better than
white. I was told on different occasions that if I really wanted to be
able to cook my kitchen benches would be stainless steel and the floor would
be tiled with a drain hole so it could be flushed like a commercial kitchen.
Those who mistake form for substance often cannot see they have a problem. I
seem to recall Sheldon, our Brooklyn, and all his extended (cloned) family
were regulars too.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:
I probably should introduce myself too, some of the folks on here know
me from rec.food.preserving. George Shirley, age 74, soon to be 75, been
gardening and preserving food since I could walk, married 54 years come
December, two kids, five grandkids, six great grands, all within driving
range of us now that we're home again in Texas. Retired oilfield trash
and, yes, we even gardened in Saudi while we were there and again in
Yemen. Been on UseNet since 1990, got my first computer in 1982, an
Osborne One, anyone remember those? I do ninety percent of the cooking
in this house and one hundred percent of the cleaning up after myself.
Never could carry a tune but love music of all kinds, was/still am a
fifties rocker. Former USN and don't miss being at sea.

welcome George, there's a bit more conversation
here. and quite a few smart folks who know names
of plants and things.

i'm old enough to remember most of the early small
computer setups. never actually got into them, but
the IBM PC i eventually bought was working fine when
i gave it away some 14 years later.

songbird
Old 07-05-2014, 12:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in
:

Winters_Lackey wrote:
George Shirley wrote in
news:53691d56$0$19184$862e30e2 @ngroups.net:

George Shirley

You used to be somewhat of a regular in rec.food.cooking. It's
gotten even worse.

I seem to recall Sheldon, our Brooklyn, and all his extended
(cloned) family were regulars too.

Sheldon posts here?

--Bryan