Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23-04-2015, 09:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Rain again

In article
westom writes:

'George Shirley[_3_ Wrote:
;1013118'] My UPS system is only connected to the computer and is only
to allow me time to shut everything down properly
versus allowing a power surge or outage to do the job.

A UPS does nothing for power surges. Power surges are addressed by that
'whole house' protector. And only if that protector is properly
earthed.

A UPS that does not shunt surges as well was designed by an idiot.

A UPS is temporary and 'dirty' power during a blackout to protect
unsaved data. Blackouts do not harm appliances.

Surges do hardware damage in microseconds. A UPS typically takes 10
milliseconds to respond. A UPS is too slow to protect hardware.

If the power is interrupted at all, then you don't have a UPS. You
have a battery backup unit. That's what the "U" is -- "Uninterruptible."

Each device is for a different anomaly. Even a UPS needs protection
provided by a properly earthed 'whole house' solution. That solution
means nobody even knows if a surge existed. Again, this 'whole house'
solution is strongly recommended in rural venues.

--
westom

--
|Drew Lawson | Of all the things I've lost |
| | I miss my mind the most |