Old 07-10-2005, 07:09 PM
ginav

Default Winter cover for bare soil

We have an older established tree whose roots are starting to grow above the
surface of the lawn. We have been told that we need to cover the roots with
soil to protect the tree's health. We would like to do this soon, but are
unsure what to plant once we have put the soil down. The lawn is St
Augustine, I have been told this grass will only grow from sod, and should
be put down in the spring. What can I plant temporarily to keep soil in
place that is cheap-- as I will replace it in the spring, but I want it to
be at least presentable till then. Thanks!

Old 07-10-2005, 09:31 PM
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman

Try winter rye(spelling?), Home Depot and Lowes have it. However, be prepared
to mow all winter.

Ray
===

Old 07-10-2005, 09:35 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman" wrote:

Try winter rye(spelling?), Home Depot and Lowes have it. However, be prepared
to mow all winter.

Ray

Why? ;-)
I never do...
I mow it maybe once.
It dies and composts back as soon as the first hot day hits.
--
Om.

Old 07-10-2005, 09:53 PM
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

In article ,
"Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman" wrote:

Try winter rye(spelling?), Home Depot and Lowes have it. However, be prepared
to mow all winter.

Ray

Why? ;-)
I never do...
I mow it maybe once.
It dies and composts back as soon as the first hot day hits.
--
Om.

Why? Because that is what I did when I used the silly grass about 6 years ago, then
I swore - never again. At that time I had a one acre lot and believe me it ain't no
fun to be riding around on a mower with temps in the mid 30s to 50s.

Then again, it all depends on if you fertilize and water the darn thing, which is
what I did.

Cheers,

Ray
===

Old 07-10-2005, 10:25 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman" wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

In article ,
"Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman" wrote:

Try winter rye(spelling?), Home Depot and Lowes have it. However, be
prepared
to mow all winter.

Ray

Why? ;-)
I never do...
I mow it maybe once.
It dies and composts back as soon as the first hot day hits.
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack
Nicholson

Why? Because that is what I did when I used the silly grass about 6 years
ago, then
I swore - never again. At that time I had a one acre lot and believe me it
ain't no
fun to be riding around on a mower with temps in the mid 30s to 50s.

Then again, it all depends on if you fertilize and water the darn thing,
which is
what I did.

Cheers,

Ray
===

Not my fault that you are a neat freak! ;-)
I just let it grow... I mow it when it gets to be over a foot tall,
which is maybe once or twice over the winter...

Does anyone really expect a neat lawn in the winter?

I love the way it helped and fertilized the yard and helped the regular
grass grow during the summer! I have 100 lbs. (seed) ready to go as soon
as I am sure the cold is here to stay!

I'm also going to plant off an enclosed spot for the chickens and gate
it until it's pretty tall, then let them have at it.

I love rye grass! It's so fast growing and pretty, and has a reliable
mortality.

Or maybe I'm just lazy in the winter and don't give a rats ass if I have
tall grass in the yard for a few months? lol

--
Om.

Old 08-10-2005, 12:04 AM
Cindy

I love rye grass! It's so fast growing and pretty, and has a reliable
mortality.

Or maybe I'm just lazy in the winter and don't give a rats ass if I
have tall grass in the yard for a few months? lol

Sounds like fun, I might have to try it!
Cindy

Old 08-10-2005, 12:05 AM
Cindy

ginav wrote:
We have an older established tree whose roots are starting to grow
above the surface of the lawn. We have been told that we need to
cover the roots with soil to protect the tree's health. We would like
to do this soon, but are unsure what to plant once we have put the
soil down. The lawn is St Augustine, I have been told this grass
will only grow from sod, and should be put down in the spring. What
can I plant temporarily to keep soil in place that is cheap-- as I
will replace it in the spring, but I want it to be at least
presentable till then. Thanks!

Why? I never heard of that before. Don't cover them deep, or you'll
suffocate it.

Cindy

Old 08-10-2005, 03:26 AM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"Cindy" wrote:

I love rye grass! It's so fast growing and pretty, and has a reliable
mortality.

Or maybe I'm just lazy in the winter and don't give a rats ass if I
have tall grass in the yard for a few months? lol

Sounds like fun, I might have to try it!
Cindy

I love the way it is when it comes up that first month.
It's just SO green! Very bright!

When it dies in the late spring, it provides wonderful composting
fertilizer for your summer grass.
--
Om.

Old 08-10-2005, 06:41 AM
Cindy

I love the way it is when it comes up that first month.
It's just SO green! Very bright!

When it dies in the late spring, it provides wonderful composting
fertilizer for your summer grass.

My grass could definitely use that....

Old 08-10-2005, 02:50 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"Cindy" wrote:

I love the way it is when it comes up that first month.
It's just SO green! Very bright!

When it dies in the late spring, it provides wonderful composting
fertilizer for your summer grass.

My grass could definitely use that....

Do you bag your clippings?
That can also help, to leave them lay where they are mowed.
Clipped grass only looks ratty for about 3 days after it dries out, then
it rapidly rots in and dissapears.

Cheers!
--
Om.

Old 08-10-2005, 03:25 PM
Bourne Identity

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 18:09:30 GMT, "ginav"
wrote:

We have an older established tree whose roots are starting to grow above the
surface of the lawn. We have been told that we need to cover the roots with
soil to protect the tree's health. We would like to do this soon, but are
unsure what to plant once we have put the soil down. The lawn is St
Augustine, I have been told this grass will only grow from sod, and should
be put down in the spring. What can I plant temporarily to keep soil in
place that is cheap-- as I will replace it in the spring, but I want it to
be at least presentable till then. Thanks!

You were given misinformation. Surface roots serve a function on
certain trees. One of the major functions, it is thought, is to have
better gas exchange capacity. I don't recommend covering surface
roots on trees, not ever.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:53 PM
Cindy

Do you bag your clippings?
That can also help, to leave them lay where they are mowed.
Clipped grass only looks ratty for about 3 days after it dries out,
then it rapidly rots in and dissapears.

Cheers!

Depends on how long I let the grass get before I mow.

Old 08-10-2005, 06:54 PM
Cindy

We have an older established tree whose roots are starting to grow
above the surface of the lawn. We have been told that we need to
cover the roots with soil to protect the tree's health.

*SNIP*

You were given misinformation. Surface roots serve a function on
certain trees. One of the major functions, it is thought, is to have
better gas exchange capacity. I don't recommend covering surface
roots on trees, not ever.

Thank you! I was hoping someone who knew for *sure* would answer.

Cindy

Old 08-10-2005, 07:09 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"Cindy" wrote:

Do you bag your clippings?
That can also help, to leave them lay where they are mowed.
Clipped grass only looks ratty for about 3 days after it dries out,
then it rapidly rots in and dissapears.

Cheers!

Depends on how long I let the grass get before I mow.

snicker
I know what you mean...... ;-)

Especially in the BACK yard!
--
Om.

Old 08-10-2005, 07:20 PM
Cindy

Do you bag your clippings?

Depends on how long I let the grass get before I mow.

snicker
I know what you mean...... ;-)

Especially in the BACK yard!

LOL! After we had that little spate of rain earlier in the summer, I
couldn't get to it, couldn't get to it...when I finally did, it looked like
I'd HAYED back there! I was rather embarrassed. Had to bag it and
empty the bag every pass.