Old 21-04-2016, 06:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default vinegar and disk soap weed killer is not working

T wrote:
I can grow carp. Well except weeds. Maybe I can coax my purslane
to choke out the weeds. It hasn't come up yet this year.

put a few carp in your zuke mounds! at the bottom. best
fertilizer ever.

purslane grows well here too. starts too late to be a
good ground cover (grows here as an annual). mixed with
other things it's ok. see if you can get some alfalfa
going.

songbird
Old 23-04-2016, 01:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 04/21/2016 10:38 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
I can grow carp. Well except weeds. Maybe I can coax my purslane
to choke out the weeds. It hasn't come up yet this year.

put a few carp in your zuke mounds! at the bottom. best
fertilizer ever.

A few of the local fishing pons have goldfish (ugly carp) in
them from individuals that forgot to flush them. They mess up
the pond pretty bad. Haven't figured out how to catch
them yet.

purslane grows well here too. starts too late to be a
good ground cover (grows here as an annual). mixed with
other things it's ok. see if you can get some alfalfa
going.

songbird

I just found my purslane sprouts coming up yesterday!

There is a huge debate around these parts that zukes do
better without mounds. So far the flat earth crown is
winning with a higher yield. What are your thoughts?

Also, in my garage, I was going to pot my tomatillos
and zukes next week. We will have freezing nights
still till June. So I put my little pots over by
my garage windows and take them out side during the
warmth of the day (~65-75F), then take them back in a
night. Your thoughts?

Thank you for helping me with this!

Old 23-04-2016, 02:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
[...]

We've never planted any zukes, etc. on a mound and they always produced,
some years heavy, some not.

Also, in my garage, I was going to pot my tomatillos
and zukes next week. We will have freezing nights
still till June. So I put my little pots over by
my garage windows and take them out side during the
warmth of the day (~65-75F), then take them back in a
night. Your thoughts?

Thank you for helping me with this!

We live where it's hot most of the year so have never had to do that.
Sounds like it would work though. If taking the plants out for a walk
kills them don't do it anymore. G
I am really glad we live where we do, even if we do get Biblical floods
occasionally. I DO NOT like cold weather. Had a company in Alaska ask me
to come visit and get a job with them. I was there in the winter of 1958
so just said no thank you for that one.
Old 23-04-2016, 03:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 04/22/2016 06:24 PM, George Shirley wrote:
I am really glad we live where we do, even if we do get Biblical floods
occasionally. I DO NOT like cold weather.

Hi George,

I can't help that I like the snow. Means trout fishing. It
is pretty too.

I was stationed in Texas for about a year. You forgot
to mention the Biblical sized cock roaches (Water bugs)
and the chiggers (don't walk on the grass!).

I remember being on guard duty in the dead quiet of the
night and one of those Texas sized cock roaches flying
at me. Sounded like a helicopter! (Roaches do to fly!)
Good thing they didn't give me a gun. :-)

I also remember the folks in Texas. Holy crap there are a
lot of nice folks living in Texas. Great steak houses too.
One or two ass holes, but they may have been military.

Tip: ask a Texan to pronounce Bexar, as in Bexar County,
and can tell the military apart from the natives.
My marriage license is from Bexar County. (For
those who don't know what I am talking about, it is
pronounced "Bear", as in "Smokey the Bear".)

Texans also talk r-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w.

-T

Oh, and don't ever, never never never ever stomp a Texas
cockroach with your boot. You will wake up in the morning
with about 200 of the cannibalistic *******s all our your
shoe! :'(

Old 23-04-2016, 02:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 4/22/2016 9:21 PM, T wrote:
On 04/22/2016 06:24 PM, George Shirley wrote:
I am really glad we live where we do, even if we do get Biblical floods
occasionally. I DO NOT like cold weather.

Hi George,

I can't help that I like the snow. Means trout fishing. It
is pretty too.

We have rainbow trout here too, every year the state stocks a few ponds
nearby with rainbow and let folks catch them. I don't go, it's sort of
like Okay! here's a cow, shoot it.

I was stationed in Texas for about a year. You forgot
to mention the Biblical sized cock roaches (Water bugs)
and the chiggers (don't walk on the grass!).

They're not that bad, if you catch a few you can train them to pull your
kid's wagon.

I remember being on guard duty in the dead quiet of the
night and one of those Texas sized cock roaches flying
at me. Sounded like a helicopter! (Roaches do to fly!)
Good thing they didn't give me a gun. :-)

Which branch of military were you in and during what year? We're renting
the roaches out to the airplane companies now.

I also remember the folks in Texas. Holy crap there are a
lot of nice folks living in Texas. Great steak houses too.
One or two ass holes, but they may have been military.

A lot more asses have shown up, mostly from the states that have gone so
liberal REAL people can't stand it anymore and they seem to think
they're better than the natives. Most of them run for public office as
quick as they can.

Tip: ask a Texan to pronounce Bexar, as in Bexar County,
and can tell the military apart from the natives.
My marriage license is from Bexar County. (For
those who don't know what I am talking about, it is
pronounced "Bear", as in "Smokey the Bear".)

Folks in SE Texas call Bexar as Bayer.

Texans also talk r-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w.

Only in Bexar, the rest of us talk a wee bit faster, particularly if
you're married. That's the only way to get a word in. Some of us even
talk in several languages. We used to have a Russian couple next door,
they got homesick and went back to the frozen tundra. Have about ten or
more nationalities in this subdivision alone, maybe more. Why the hell
are all these strangers coming to my home state. The possibilities of
living a free life and getting a decent job most likely. Some of them
are nice people but some a-holes followed them.

-T

Oh, and don't ever, never never never ever stomp a Texas
cockroach with your boot. You will wake up in the morning
with about 200 of the cannibalistic *******s all our your
shoe! :'(

We've been in this house nearly four years now and I saw a roach on the
driveway once and it looked bewildered. I don't know what the previous
owners sprayed around here but it doesn't kill silverfish.

Old 24-04-2016, 12:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 04/23/2016 06:48 AM, George Shirley wrote:
Which branch of military were you in and during what year?

Air Force. 74-80. Staff Sergeant. AF Commendation medal.
No it wasn't for my cock roach fighting skills. :-)
Old 24-04-2016, 01:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 4/23/2016 6:41 PM, T wrote:
On 04/23/2016 06:48 AM, George Shirley wrote:
Which branch of military were you in and during what year?

Air Force. 74-80. Staff Sergeant. AF Commendation medal.
No it wasn't for my cock roach fighting skills. :-)

Navy, 57 - 60 active, recalled to active reserves in December 62 for
Cuban Missile Crisis, stayed in until discharged in June 63. I was what
the Navy called a "Titless Typist" Yeoman Second Class (E5). Three years
later the Vietnam GI bill came out and I instantly became a Vietnam
Veteran due to serving six months reserve duty in '63. Went to college
on the VVB starting in '71, graduated in '76. Meantime raising two kids,
working swing shift in a chemical plant, served with the Texas State
Guard from '63 to '76, got out as a Captain in MP outfit. I know Texas
still has a State Guard but not sure about the few other states from my
time in it. Nowadays the Texas State Guard has planes, choppers, all
kinds of stuff handed off to them by the Feds. We used to go help in
hurricanes and tried to keep riots, in the mid-sixties, down to a march.

Out of three cousins and an uncle in my age group. Only one cousin and I
got honorable discharges. I've always thought that was funny for some
reason. That other cousin and I are the only ones of the four that's
still alive. So far I've lived longer than my Dad, gone at 71, Grandad
at 55, Great grandad at 25. As a teen my Dad told me, "Marry young and
breed early if you want a family." I always thought that was funny until
I started doing the family tree. Wow!

Here I sit, will be 77 in September and still kicking. Well, can't kick
much, heart disease, diabetic, barely can walk from multiple strokes,
etc. It beats the alternative in my opinion.

Beautiful day today, current temp is 76F, no rain in sight for a change,
and the dewberries are ripe.
Old 26-04-2016, 05:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
There is a huge debate around these parts that zukes do
better without mounds. So far the flat earth crown is
winning with a higher yield. What are your thoughts?

i don't grow them. if you have a hot
climate and no wind break then they will likely
do better down lower. if your soil is rock
hard and has no water holding capacity and i
don't know how deep your soil is that you're
planting into... well, it's not something i
can say much for sure.

if it is all sand, add some clay and organic
materials. you don't need much clay for it to
help.

Also, in my garage, I was going to pot my tomatillos
and zukes next week. We will have freezing nights
still till June. So I put my little pots over by
my garage windows and take them out side during the
warmth of the day (~65-75F), then take them back in a
night. Your thoughts?

we usually get our plants in the middle of May and
plant shortly after that. so sounds ok as long as you
remember to bring them in if there is danger of cold
overnight.

songbird
Old 26-04-2016, 08:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 04/25/2016 09:28 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
[...]

Thank you.

You do realize the poor dears have made slaves out of us!

Old 27-04-2016, 03:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
You do realize the poor dears have made slaves out of us!

you do understand that without plants we'd not
be here right? we are dependent upon them, along
with the bacteria, virii, fungi, etc.

songbird

Old 30-04-2016, 01:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 04/27/2016 07:09 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
You do realize the poor dears have made slaves out of us!

you do understand that without plants we'd not
be here right? we are dependent upon them, along
with the bacteria, virii, fungi, etc.

songbird

True. We are going to have a rude awakening when we try to
farm in space or other planets/moons. We should have a
functioning moon colony before we ever try colonizing Mars.
Our dependence on the above is overwhelming and mostly
out of our current understanding.

So, in the mean time, "Water me! Prune! Too Much
Sun! I am too cold! Pick those bugs off me!" And we
will all continue saying "yes master".

Old 26-04-2016, 01:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 4/25/2016 11:28 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
[...]

Ours was planted in mid-march, green tomatoes on the bushes about the
size of a baby's fist, sweet chillies about six inches long, baby cukes
on the vines, figs are the size of the end of my little finger and the
pears are about three quarters of an inch in diameter. Move south. G

George