Old 09-08-2016, 03:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default when to pick a pepper

On 8/9/2016 8:00 AM, songbird wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
Before my throat burned out I used to make a lot of pepper sauce, also
hot pepper flakes for sprinkling on. Nowadays it's only sweet peppers
and we eat them raw, cooked in many sorts of dishes, and many bags of
chopped peppers in vacuum bags for ease in finding them for cooking.

how do you get them finished? do you leave them on
the plant until they've dried completely or do you pull
the plant and hang it or what?

i've never done any dried pepper anything...

Nope, have you seen those drying peppers on the tv shows? Some folks
pull the entire plant and hang it upside down to dry, I never did that
one as the peppers sometimes keep producing for a year or more in our
climate. Basically I put them in an old produce bag, one of those red
jobs, fill it with peppers, hang in a dry place with little moisture,
wait until they dry completely then strip the goodies from the useless
stuff. You can also weave a line of string and tie the chilies into a
line on it to dry.

I may have mentioned this before but I used to swap Chile seeds all over
the world by postal. One of my best trades was a guy in Bucharest who
traded some really hot Chile's that I can't remember the name of. I then
grew the !@#$% hot ones, traded seeds off all over North America, and
finally just quit eating the things at all. Then all the terrorism stuff
started and no mo' swapping peppers. I made some really good hot sauces
back then that were very tasty.

Here's a hint, but not about chillies, grow some New Zealand spinach,
very tasty leaves when cooked or raw. In temperate climates they will
reseed for years. At each leaf junction the plant makes its seeds, not
round nor square but almost square. I need to get another start as they
finally gave up trying to grow. I see online that the seed packets run
from $US3 to $US 1+.

Miss Tilly Dawg Shirley had a growth removed from her nose yesterday and
is happily recovering at home. The vets around Houston are very
expensive, a little over two grand on this one, but she's worth it all,
best dog we've ever had.

aw! glad it was something that could be taken
care of.

gonna be out there weeding, watering today
and get the cucumbers picked through again. will be
another hot day later.

songbird

Well, she's not snoring anymore for one thing, the other is that she is
healing rapidly. She's lying on the couch behind my desk chair sleeping
peacefully. She finally got a real meal this morning plus a very small,
lean treat just for being a good girl. Her two main things to love are
eating and pooping, typical dog. G She's a good watch dog too, she
starts growling before anyone ever steps on the porch, when they knock
or ring the doorbell, she goes berserk, hair standing up, etc. When they
get inside she tries to lick the skin off their ankles if she knows
them, if she doesn't she walks around watching them closely and growling
very low but ready to leap at their throats. I really don't think she
could get a throat unless they trip and fall on the floor, she's not
much of a jumper with both hind legs rebuilt.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:
songbird wrote:

how do you get them finished? do you leave them on
the plant until they've dried completely or do you pull
the plant and hang it or what?

i've never done any dried pepper anything...

Nope, have you seen those drying peppers on the tv shows?

no, i hardly ever watch tv these days. most
time i might listen if that, but usually i tune
it out. not my type of thing. i do like a good
movie or documentary once in a while.

Some folks
pull the entire plant and hang it upside down to dry, I never did that
one as the peppers sometimes keep producing for a year or more in our
climate. Basically I put them in an old produce bag, one of those red
jobs, fill it with peppers, hang in a dry place with little moisture,
wait until they dry completely then strip the goodies from the useless
stuff. You can also weave a line of string and tie the chilies into a
line on it to dry.

i will be eating ours or making pepper sauce of
some kind out of them. sweet and sour is likely
since i need some acid in there (i don't pressure can
anything here). just mainly want a good red pepper
sauce to replace tomato sauce for pasta or some other
common dishes.

....Tilly ...
[...]

heheh, some doggies are quite the characters,
i like a lot of them, but we can't have any here,
so i have to like other people's doggies when i
can visit them. same with kitties or other animals.

just worms here as pets. that is as far as i go
for indoor critters at the moment. and a few house-
plants. good enough.

songbird
Old 12-08-2016, 04:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 08/11/2016 11:09 PM, songbird wrote:
no, i hardly ever watch tv these days. most
time i might listen if that, but usually i tune
it out. not my type of thing. i do like a good
movie or documentary once in a while.

Stay away from the Korean Dramas (soaps). They are
addictive. (It is too late for me. Save yourselves!)
Old 12-08-2016, 09:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Stay away from the Korean Dramas (soaps). They are
addictive. (It is too late for me. Save yourselves!)

not. to. worry.

songbird