Old 27-07-2017, 12:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Cubic Pumpkins

This year's pumpkin crop is coming along nicely, with quite a few fruits forming already. I was thinking of making a box with 2x6 lumber and putting a pumpkin inside while it is small. As it grows, it should conform to the size and shape of the box and end up as a cube. Or maybe a rectangular solid. Has anyone ever tried anything like this? Would I be considered guilty of squash abuse if I did so?

Paul
Old 27-07-2017, 01:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/26/2017 6:38 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
This year's pumpkin crop is coming along nicely, with quite a few fruits forming already. I was thinking of making a box with 2x6 lumber and putting a pumpkin inside while it is small. As it grows, it should conform to the size and shape of the box and end up as a cube. Or maybe a rectangular solid. Has anyone ever tried anything like this? Would I be considered guilty of squash abuse if I did so?

Paul

We did that once with watermelons, worked pretty good. Some of the melon
grew sort of funny when they got above the top of the box. Our children,
now in their mid-fifties had a lot of fun with them. They tasted like
any other melon but were square or, when they went out of the box they
had a hat. I regret never taking pictures of them.

We grew ladled squash one time and put a box around the bulb part to
make square ladle's. Sold the whole crop at the farmer's market.

George