Old 29-07-2017, 12:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default 100F plus

According to the weather heads we're going to hit 100F late this day. As
it is we've been hitting around 90F or a little higher the last few days.

Looks like we need to get out and water all the plants before the high
heat hits us. Might possibly save some of the more tender plants. We
have been watering routinely every other day and the plants have been
doing okay but the !00 plus just might do some damage.

Our electric bill generally runs around US$51 every month, this months
is $111.00, due to the air conditioning. Without AC we wouldn't survive
at our age. We have ceiling fans in all the rooms excepting the
bathrooms and the kitchen but fans without AC just means the fans just
push the hot air around.

August is upon us and that month is usually our hottest month of the
year. I reckon this one is going to be the hottest in a good while.

Turned the hoses on already so we shall see.

George
Old 29-07-2017, 01:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/29/2017 6:53 AM, George Shirley wrote:
[...]

Bummer for y'all , we're getting a bit of relief here . Today's
prediction is for the mid-80's , down from the last couple of weeks that
were in the mid to high 90's . Stay cool .

--

Snag

Old 29-07-2017, 01:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/29/2017 8:04 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

Humidity with high temperature makes for high discomfort. I envy
George's electric bill as ours generally runs three times his.
Early this summer I bought a portable AC that I can run during power
failures with my generator or when power is on and AC has problem.
Old 29-07-2017, 06:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/29/2017 7:04 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

The weather heads are saying we might get rain tomorrow or the next day.
I want it NOW. We're watering the plants twice a day already. Now the
water bill will double, just like the electric bill doubled. There goes
the budget, might have to put the wife back to work. G

George
Old 29-07-2017, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/29/2017 7:23 AM, Frank wrote:
[...]

We seldom have power failures Frank, when we do the power comes back on
within thirty minutes. Oddly, the folks south of our entry street have
never had a failure inn the years we've lived here. I suspect a part of
the system north of us is old and failing a lot. I talked to the folks
that run all that and they said they were building a new one but it will
take a while. In the mean time I am considering a natural gas generator
to ensure we can have lights and power. We're both 77 yo and aren't in
the best of health (mislead youth no doubt, BG). I guess we could always
crank one of the cars and sit in it in AC splendor.

George

Old 29-07-2017, 07:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/29/2017 1:16 PM, George Shirley wrote:
[...]

Lot of trees where I live. They are always falling over wires on the
roadway leading here. I would love to have a natural gas generator to
power the whole house but need to use gasoline for mine as there is no
gas line on my street. I'm same age as you. No fatal illnesses but
enough arthritis and other aging problems to slow me down. I hold off
starting the generator as it means moving it out of the garage and
plugging into into the transfer box and switching circuits. I can run
the furnace, refrigerator and freezers and well off it but not AC. I
should have had it hooked up to run the whole house selectively and I
think there are generators today like that but I got this one 10 years
ago after a couple of days in freezing weather without electricity.
Nothing as bad recently but we've had outages in the past lasting as
long as 5 days.
Old 30-07-2017, 08:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

[...]

I had to fix a connection hose on my sprinkler system for my front
flower beds a few days ago. After I fixed that and turned on the water
to test it, one of the glued pvc connections popped off. So, back to
the store I go to get some pvc glue, and fixed THAT! So far it's holding.

--
Maggie
Old 30-07-2017, 09:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

[...]

We went from 100+ heat index to right around 90, now.

--
Maggie
Old 30-07-2017, 09:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

[...]

We've been accumulating about 3 gallons of water a day from our portable
(on wheels) AC unit. I've been using the free water to water my front
yard flowers.

--
Maggie
Old 30-07-2017, 09:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/30/2017 2:58 PM, Muggles wrote:
[...]

I put in a hose system when we moved to this much smaller property than
we were used to. Then decided it was just easier to use a hose when we
water and not have to mess with the system. It seems to work better for
us at our age and in a small property and gives us time to day dream
whilst contemplating how the garden grows. Right now we're at 98F on the
back porch, which is in shade. Stuff is going to get watered just before
darkness arrives. All three of us are up from a nice nap, two old people
and a ten-year old Rat Terrier. The dog and I don't snore. G

Old 30-07-2017, 09:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/30/2017 3:01 PM, Muggles wrote:
[...]

It ain't actually free if it has electricity hooked up to it. Our latest
electric bill was a little over $111.00 when the average is $51.00. I'm
beginning to believe this house isn't very well insulated except where I
added another foot in the attic. Suspicion is no insulation in the walls
but the bricks seem to help.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/30/2017 3:36 PM, George Shirley wrote:
[...]

My original system was old and parts of it had broken, so I re-routed
all the lines and it works via a timer. I only turn on the water when I
actually want to water the flower bed, though, vs. letting it turn
itself on. I can't trust those pvc connections to not come apart with
the water pressure being on all the time.

--
Maggie
Old 01-08-2017, 05:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/30/2017 3:39 PM, George Shirley wrote:
[...]

The city charges for the water we use, plus, charges for the water that
runs off. So, I figure, even though we pay for the electricity to run
the AC, no one is actually charging for any of the water I collect from
the AC!

--
Maggie
Old 01-08-2017, 05:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/1/2017 11:37 AM, Muggles wrote:
[...]

Our electric bills in Texas are from many companies, the state allows
the majors to let smaller companies collect the money from homeowners. I
was astonished when we moved home to Texas, every place else we lived
there was ONE electric company, now Texas has dozens of them and they
all have a different price. I get confused so I just stick to the first
one I saw. Water here is through a meter too, so with so long a time
getting the same bill it was a sharp change to get double the payment. I
pay all my bills automatically through my credit union so there's no
checks involved. Only checks written here or for church on Sunday,
everything other than utility bills goes on a Kroger credit card. That
gives us lots of bucks off on groceries, plus a good bit of free stuff
and keeps me from having to work on two dozen accounts instead of one. I
do like that system as I can see the entire household purchases at a glance.