Old 29-05-2003, 05:21 AM
montana

Default Grape Flowers

A little while back, I posted about our grape vines, which never got any
grapes. I had generally cut the grape vines back in the fall and
obviously didn't leave enough old wood on the plants.

Before the plants started to leaf, I cut most of the branches back
except for the larger ones, and now I have vines that have bunches of
flowers! More flowers I have ever seen on them in the past three years.

I guess I have to keep an eye out for potential pollinators or get busy
with a paintbrush when the flowers open up!
Old 29-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Sasha

On Wed, 28 May 2003 19:07:57 -0400, montana
wrote:

A little while back, I posted about our grape vines, which never got any
grapes. I had generally cut the grape vines back in the fall and
obviously didn't leave enough old wood on the plants.

Before the plants started to leaf, I cut most of the branches back
except for the larger ones, and now I have vines that have bunches of
flowers! More flowers I have ever seen on them in the past three years.

I guess I have to keep an eye out for potential pollinators or get busy
with a paintbrush when the flowers open up!

Mine are doing the same thing, with no help from me at all. The last
two years here in South Carolina have been worth nothing but a handful
here and there, but with the look of all the little flower bunches, I
think what we may have is a stellar grape year coming up!

Casey

Old 31-05-2003, 04:08 AM
Dwayne

Do you know what kind of grape you have? In the South, some grapes need a
"male" and a "female". Muscadines grow wild in most of the south and wont
do any good unless you have two. They sell some that are "self
pollinating". Usually northern grapes dont have this problem.

Dwayne

Old 02-06-2003, 04:08 AM
montana

In article ,
"Dwayne" wrote:

Do you know what kind of grape you have? In the South, some grapes need a
"male" and a "female". Muscadines grow wild in most of the south and wont
do any good unless you have two. They sell some that are "self
pollinating". Usually northern grapes dont have this problem.

Dwayne

We're in the north and I know these vines have provided grapes for a
previous owner. I have no idea what kind of grapes they are. Can you
tell such a thing before you actually have grapes? (Hate to be so
uninformed, but I *really* know nothing about grapes, no matter how much
I try reading about them.) I've never had anyone in my life grow grapes,
except my MIL (when she was too young to pay attention).

The good news is that there are two vines in close proximity, so if we
need two, we have them...