Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26-06-2003, 09:56 PM
Steve Calvin

Default Tomato wine

Here ya go...

personal notes
this is the recipe as I got it. I would modify it as follows:
Tie cut up tomatos (LOOSELY) in cheese cloth prior to adding
everything into the containers. I tried the coffee filters and they
were a real PITA so I ended up using fishtank hose and syphoning it
through fine strainers, STILL a big PITA. I was "fried" by the time I
got it strained! ;-) I didn't and what a PAIN racking it off. I
didn't use the oranges either (I forgot) I'd either cut back on the
sugar to about 5 pounds or add more yeast. I did mine last fall and
it's starting to taste good but still rather sweet.. You'll need a
LARGE container. I used a 5 gallon bucket that I use for brewing beer
and believe me, it was FULL. Stirring it was quite a challange. Good
thing that I did it in the garage! I could just scrub the floor when
done and spray it out with a hose. Also, all the sugar tends to
attract bugs so take that into consideration when deciding where to
make it and let it ferment.

Attributed to gloria p. from rec.food.cooking
/personal notes

Tomato wine:

6 lb. sugar
6 lb. tomatoes, washed and chopped
1 lb. raisins
6 oranges, washed and cut up (skins included)
1 gal. boiling water
1 pkg. yeast

In a very clean crock or food-safe new plastic bucket, mix
together the first 5 ingredients. When the mixture has cooled
to lukewarm, add yeast and stir well. Cover loosely and
stir well daily for 15-20 days or until fermentation stops.
Strain, filter (coffee filters work well), and bottle.
This keeps forever and gets smoother as it ages.

--
Steve

champagne or wine yeasts for DIY CO2? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 25 17-07-2003 08:45 PM
Half Wine Barrels Pete United Kingdom 5 15-05-2003 10:44 PM
Wild Blackberries (wine) Rob Smith Gardening 0 06-05-2003 02:20 AM
[IBC] Wine Grape Bonsai Serial Killer kevin bailey Bonsai 6 03-02-2003 10:40 PM
Wine Grape Bonsai Serial Killer Daze Bonsai 0 26-01-2003 04:35 AM