Old 26-06-2003, 09:56 PM
Steve Calvin

Default Tomato wine

Here ya go...

personal notes
this is the recipe as I got it. I would modify it as follows:
Tie cut up tomatos (LOOSELY) in cheese cloth prior to adding
everything into the containers. I tried the coffee filters and they
were a real PITA so I ended up using fishtank hose and syphoning it
through fine strainers, STILL a big PITA. I was "fried" by the time I
got it strained! ;-) I didn't and what a PAIN racking it off. I
didn't use the oranges either (I forgot) I'd either cut back on the
sugar to about 5 pounds or add more yeast. I did mine last fall and
it's starting to taste good but still rather sweet.. You'll need a
LARGE container. I used a 5 gallon bucket that I use for brewing beer
and believe me, it was FULL. Stirring it was quite a challange. Good
thing that I did it in the garage! I could just scrub the floor when
done and spray it out with a hose. Also, all the sugar tends to
attract bugs so take that into consideration when deciding where to
make it and let it ferment.

Attributed to gloria p. from rec.food.cooking
/personal notes

Tomato wine:

6 lb. sugar
6 lb. tomatoes, washed and chopped
1 lb. raisins
6 oranges, washed and cut up (skins included)
1 gal. boiling water
1 pkg. yeast

In a very clean crock or food-safe new plastic bucket, mix
together the first 5 ingredients. When the mixture has cooled
to lukewarm, add yeast and stir well. Cover loosely and
stir well daily for 15-20 days or until fermentation stops.
Strain, filter (coffee filters work well), and bottle.
This keeps forever and gets smoother as it ages.

--
Steve

Old 26-06-2003, 10:44 PM
zxcvbob

Steve Calvin wrote:
[...]

[filing recipe] What kind of yeast did you use? Champagne yeast or fleur
sherry yeast can probably process that much sugar without killing itself.

If you transfer to a secondary fermenter with a fermentation lock after the
first week, all the solids will settle out when it's done and you won't
have to filter anything.

(I wonder how sparkling tomato mead would taste...)

Bob

Old 26-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Steve Calvin

zxcvbob wrote:

[filing recipe] What kind of yeast did you use? Champagne yeast or
fleur sherry yeast can probably process that much sugar without killing
itself.

If you transfer to a secondary fermenter with a fermentation lock after
the first week, all the solids will settle out when it's done and you
won't have to filter anything.

(I wonder how sparkling tomato mead would taste...)

Bob

Honestly Bob, I don't recall. I think just plain brewers yeast. I
probably wouldn't like the two yeasts that you mentioned 'cause I
don't like sherry or chapagne but Nancy'd probably LOVE it. (I don't
think that I'll tell her... ;-) )

The solids *don't* settle out, trust me.

As for the mead, hm... may be a plan to try 'cause it's gonna take us
forever to drink last years. ;-) I gave a gallon away to a friend of
mine and still have three left.

I know what mead is, I've had it and that stuff is wicked! (don't ask
how I know ;-) ) It takes a LONG time to do properly no?

--
Steve

Old 26-06-2003, 11:32 PM
zxcvbob

Steve Calvin wrote:

zxcvbob wrote:

[...]

Champagne yeast doesn't really have any character or taste to it imho, but
it is robust and has a very high alcohol tolerance.

I made some ginger mead a few years ago. It tasted like cardboard when it
was done. I bottled it, and after it was in the bottle for about a year it
was wonderful. I don't know what the transformation was.

Traditional mead with nothing in it but water, honey, and yeast takes a
very long time to ferment completely, and the fermentation often "sticks".
It's not so bad if you add yeast nutrients.

Best regards,
Bob

Old 27-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Steve Calvin

zxcvbob wrote:
Steve Calvin wrote:

zxcvbob wrote:

[...]

ok thanks Bob. I may try the champagne yeast this year. Maybe I'll do
some research and start the mead process as well. :-)

--
Steve

Old 28-06-2003, 04:20 PM
JohnDKestell

My mead was terrible too. Really hot and sharp, with this wicked yeast bite to
it. I just felt really bad about all the money that I spent on honey and herbs
and fruit. (like 40 bucks for materials alone). and being from wisconsin,
you NEVER flush it down the drain. So I gave up, threw them (in 1 liter EZ-Cap
bottles) in the closet (I think in the dark/cool is important) and about 1.5
years later, when packing up for a move, re discovered it. And by then,
crystal clear, dry, wonderful mead!

I used champagne yeast too. And had about 3 pints before i thought "boy, i'm
pretty dizzy, maybe I should check the booze content" and it came out to like
12%!

the recipe is pretty good, i'll send it or post it if you like

later
john
Old 29-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Dianna Visek

What size is the package of yeast? Are they all the same?

Thanks, Dianna who's expecting a heck of a lot of tomatoes

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 20:48:31 GMT, Steve Calvin
wrote:

Here ya go...

/personal notes

Tomato wine:

6 lb. sugar
6 lb. tomatoes, washed and chopped
1 lb. raisins
6 oranges, washed and cut up (skins included)
1 gal. boiling water
1 pkg. yeast

In a very clean crock or food-safe new plastic bucket, mix
together the first 5 ingredients. When the mixture has cooled
to lukewarm, add yeast and stir well. Cover loosely and
stir well daily for 15-20 days or until fermentation stops.
Strain, filter (coffee filters work well), and bottle.
This keeps forever and gets smoother as it ages.

--
Steve

To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.

champagne or wine yeasts for DIY CO2? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 25 17-07-2003 08:45 PM
Half Wine Barrels Pete United Kingdom 5 15-05-2003 10:44 PM
Wild Blackberries (wine) Rob Smith Gardening 0 06-05-2003 02:20 AM
[IBC] Wine Grape Bonsai Serial Killer kevin bailey Bonsai 6 03-02-2003 10:40 PM
Wine Grape Bonsai Serial Killer Daze Bonsai 0 26-01-2003 04:35 AM