Old 29-06-2003, 08:44 PM
Rich

Default Watermelon seedlings

less than one week ago I planted about 400 watermelon seedlings in
little seedling trays. I put a little Miracle Gro on them. at this point
95% have sprouted and are 8" tall. since this is my first time
planting watermelon, I was wondering what they should look like at this
point. They are only 8" stems with the white part of the seed on top -
no leaves. The stems have turned a whitish color and some are toppling
over. the soil is damp - not too wet. Is that good or bad? When should I
move them outside? Also, I'm in Arizona. Is this an OK time to plant
them?
Old 29-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Bill Bolle

Rich wrote:
less than one week ago I planted about 400 watermelon seedlings in
little seedling trays. I put a little Miracle Gro on them. at this point
95% have sprouted and are 8" tall. since this is my first time
planting watermelon, I was wondering what they should look like at this
point. They are only 8" stems with the white part of the seed on top -
no leaves. The stems have turned a whitish color and some are toppling
over. the soil is damp - not too wet. Is that good or bad? When should I
move them outside? Also, I'm in Arizona. Is this an OK time to plant
them?

I think you have committed several errors here.
1) Watermelons are best planted in the ground where they are to grow,
they don't transplant well unless you take great care not to disturb
the tender roots.
2) They are 8" tall with no leaves because they didn't get enough light.
3) Never fertilize seeds when they are germinating, everything they
need is in the seed until they start developing true leaves.
4) If the top of the soil is wet the seedlings may be falling over
either from being too tall and weak or they are succumbing to
"damping-off" disease.

It seems to me that it may be kind of late to be planting watermelons
in Arizona unless you are at high altitude. I would give up on your
seedlings and try a new planting in the ground outside. You will
probably loose all of your present seedlings if you were to try and
transplant them outside in the heat and sun without going through a
process of "hardening-off". Sorry, but that's the way I see it.

Bill

Old 01-07-2003, 11:56 AM
NS9G

"Rich" wrote in message
less than one week ago I planted about 400 watermelon seedlings in

It appears to me that what you planted were seeds. What you have now are
seedlings. Watermelons do not do very good as transplants. It is much better
to plant them directly in the ground.
--
73 de Bob NS9G

Seedless Watermelon pollination H Hornblower Edible Gardening 6 20-08-2004 03:45 PM
Germinating watermelon Seed Shlomit sci.agriculture 0 13-07-2003 03:44 PM
Moon Star Watermelon Lisa J Gehl Edible Gardening 4 09-07-2003 10:44 PM
watermelon? H United Kingdom 2 22-05-2003 10:20 PM
Watermelon Question CORRWOOD Edible Gardening 2 14-05-2003 02:44 AM