Old 04-07-2003, 06:08 PM
Gary Woods

Default Barley question

Have I got a chance of getting mature barley in upstate New York, planted a
bit over a week ago, and already an inch high? The packet information says
"90 days", so I'm hoping for a late fall... the idea is to get enough for
seed stock to plant enough to malt for next year...
Hey, I plan big, if not well.

Old 04-07-2003, 06:32 PM
Frogleg

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 13:10:25 -0400, Gary Woods
wrote:

Have I got a chance of getting mature barley in upstate New York, planted a
bit over a week ago, and already an inch high? The packet information says
"90 days", so I'm hoping for a late fall... the idea is to get enough for
seed stock to plant enough to malt for next year...
Hey, I plan big, if not well.

Hey, what difference would any of our answers make? You gonna plow it
up if someone says "no"? I bet not. You want to know if you have a
chance. Why not? Maybe (oh, geez) a long, hot summer is coming for the
right coast. "90 days" is an average -- plants don't come with
calendars. If frost comes before plants are mature, they might make a
good 'green manure' and a reminder to plant earlier next year. Cheers!
Old 04-07-2003, 09:08 PM
Pat Meadows

wrote:

Have I got a chance of getting mature barley in upstate New York, planted a
bit over a week ago, and already an inch high? The packet information says
"90 days", so I'm hoping for a late fall... the idea is to get enough for
seed stock to plant enough to malt for next year...
Hey, I plan big, if not well.

It's only July 4 (Happy July 4th!). July, August,
September: providing you don't get a frost in September, it
looks to me as if you've got a good chance of success.

Our first frost here (similar climate to yours) has been
October 8 both of the two years we've lived here.

Pat

Old 05-07-2003, 05:08 PM
Fudge

I have tried this a few times and the rodents always got my crop. They have
radar when it comes to finding small quantities of grain seed. Look
carefully if and when the seed heads form as you will not even know they are
missing. My rats are sneaky little *******s. Think you are a little late for
this year but give it a try. Perhaps barley can take a few light frosts. A
lot of barley is grown in Scandinavia. I also malt my own barley for brewing
and it does work. Suggest you buy a bag of untreated seed barley in the
fall.

Farmer John
VA3JQ
Barry's Bay
Ontario

Barley straw question elaine Ponds 61 13-01-2011 02:17 PM
Green beans and barley perrin Edible Gardening 3 13-06-2003 04:44 PM
Green beans and barley perrin Gardening 2 13-06-2003 09:20 AM
Barley Cubes/balls Jan Ponds 3 14-04-2003 09:08 PM
Barley pvr Ponds 1 25-03-2003 07:20 PM