Old 16-07-2003, 12:32 PM
Frogleg

Default Purple Pole Beans?

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 16:47:25 -0500, Phaedrine Stonebridge
wrote:

Frogleg wrote:

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 21:53:07 -0500, Phaedrine Stonebridge
wrote:

Frogleg wrote:

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 21:39:56 -0500, Phaedrine Stonebridge
wrote:

I just love purple beans (they turn green when you cook them). But all
I have been able to find are the bush type. Does anyone know of a
purple pole bean variety?

Sigh. Search on "purple pole bean".

You have no cause to be snarky; purple, edible podded pole beans are
hardly ubiquitous. I *have* searched every one of our 60-70 garden
catalogues as well as google w/o much luck. Mayhap you were unaware
that some varieties of purple and red are not really edible podded. We
already, in fact, purchased and planted one type only to find out later
it is not an edible pod. I was hoping someone here had experience they
might kindly share. Obviously your experience falls in another realm,
Prince Charming. (:P

Sigh again...... snip

Had you not lied about googling "numerous" varieties, I'd give you
slightly more credibility. If you want to be constructive, then I am
glad to talk with you. If not, then find another target because I see
no need to reinforce your fractiousness.

King of the Blues
Trionfo Violetto
Purple Queen
ROYALTY
PURPLE TEEPEE
PURPLE POLE BEAN
Old 16-07-2003, 06:17 PM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

In article ,
Aaron Baugher wrote:

I hope they get over their problems as they have always been one of
my favorite suppliers.

Same here, but we're at least checking out some other catalogs before
next year. As I understand it, Vermont Bean has been involved in a
merger/buy-out with Jung's and Shumway's sometime in the last few
years, and I wonder if business is getting lost in the shuffle.

Oh that would be really sad.
Old 16-07-2003, 10:23 PM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

wrote:

[...]

My google search BEFORE I posted this thread rendered exactly 7 hits and
two types. Still, I would hardly call your list "numerous", however you
obtained it. Moreover, and I repeat, your rudeness was totally
unjustified and that is all I have to say on the matter.

..
Old 17-07-2003, 12:34 AM
FarmerDill

King of the Blues
Trionfo Violetto
Purple Queen
ROYALTY
PURPLE TEEPEE
PURPLE POLE BEAN

For what it is worth; Purple Queen, Royalty, and Purple Teepee are bush beans.
Not faniliar with King of Blues, Do Grow Blue Peter just often enogh to keep
seeds, Big showy bean but poor quality as a snap.

Old 17-07-2003, 11:52 AM
Frogleg

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 10:20:13 -0500, Phaedrine Stonebridge
wrote:

In article ,
Frogleg wrote:

King of the Blues
Trionfo Violetto
Purple Queen
ROYALTY
PURPLE TEEPEE
PURPLE POLE BEAN

My google search BEFORE I posted this thread rendered exactly 7 hits and
two types. Still, I would hardly call your list "numerous", however you
obtained it. Moreover, and I repeat, your rudeness was totally
unjustified and that is all I have to say on the matter.

The list above was the result of a search on
"purple pole bean"
(enclosed in quotes, as I typed). These are included in the original
page, and by following one click's-worth where the citation was
unclear as to a specific variety.

I'm sorry to have used the term "numerous" in a way that appeared to
you to be "lying." I sort of figured a one-shot search that turned up
more than 3 or 4 of a seed you said you couldn't find any of would be
*comparatively* numerous.

If you regard a sigh as rude, I apologize for that, also. As I
explained (in an unquoted portion of your msg), I was responding to
the question as asked: "Does anyone know of a purple pole bean
variety?"

I have reviewed the posts and can't, frankly, find anything "rude" in
my posts. If you could point something out to me, I'd be grateful, as
I try *very* hard not to insult others, call them names, accuse them
of ulterior motives, or refuse help offered in a spirit of sharing
information.
Old 17-07-2003, 06:03 PM
FarmerDill

I noticed that after I last posted. We planted Purple Queen a month or
so ago and are waiting for them to do their thing. But pole beans are
just (generally) so much more productive and tasty IMHO. Thanks for
posting that information--- very helpful.

Purple Queen is a superb bush snap bean. In my experience far superior to
Royalty and Royal Burgendy. The old "Purple Pod" is the best of the pole
varieties that I have tried, but its eating qualities (flavor texture) are
inferior to the bush varieties, If you are familiar with the group called
cornfield beans expecially the Cutshort, Purple Pod is of similar quality

Old 17-07-2003, 07:42 PM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

In article ,
Frogleg wrote:

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 10:20:13 -0500, Phaedrine Stonebridge
wrote:

In article ,
Frogleg wrote:

[...]

Look, I don't want to belabor this but the sighs and the chiding were
entirely unnecessary and rude behavior. In addition, I do not like to
be taken out of context. What I said BEFORE I asked that question was
this: "I just love purple beans (they turn green when you cook them).
But all I have been able to find are the bush type."

Don't you think the phrase, "all I have been able to find" suggests that
I had already done some looking? If I had repeatedly asked fundamental
questions in this NG, obviously without taking time to research them on
my own, then you might have had some cause for irritation. But I have
not done that. In addition, since I recently started posting again to
RGE, I have done my best to contribute. I think my post just found you
in an off mood. However, being fellow gardeners, I am more than willing
to gracefully accept your apology and put this matter aside.

.. :: offers a handshake ::

I will go root away
The noisome weeds which without
profit suck
The soil's fertility from wholesome
flowers.

~~~Shakespeare, Richard II
..
Old 17-07-2003, 08:02 PM
Pam

In our last fun filled episode, Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:36:54 -0500,
Phaedrine Stonebridge
proclaimed:

Look, I don't want to belabor this but the sighs and the chiding were
entirely unnecessary and rude behavior.

It's Usenet, get over yourself.

Pam

"ElissaAnn"

Old 18-07-2003, 04:22 AM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

In article ,
Pam wrote:

In our last fun filled episode, Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:36:54 -0500,
Phaedrine Stonebridge
proclaimed:

Look, I don't want to belabor this but the sighs and the chiding were
entirely unnecessary and rude behavior.

It's Usenet, get over yourself.

Up yours you silly witch.
Old 18-07-2003, 05:02 PM
Jim Carter

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 14:54:55 -0400, Pam wrote in
rec.gardens.edible:

Look, I don't want to belabor this but the sighs and the chiding were
entirely unnecessary and rude behavior.

It's Usenet, get over yourself.

Usenet is an excuse for rudeness?
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a
Old 18-07-2003, 06:12 PM
Ken Anderson

"Jim Carter" wrote in message

Usenet is an excuse for rudeness?
--

Yeah. Anonymity brings out the ____ in people. (Fill in blank as needed.)
Ken A.

Old 18-07-2003, 06:32 PM
Frogleg

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 11:59:32 -0400, Jim Carter
wrote:

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 14:54:55 -0400, Pam wrote in
rec.gardens.edible:

Look, I don't want to belabor this but the sighs and the chiding were
entirely unnecessary and rude behavior.

It's Usenet, get over yourself.

Usenet is an excuse for rudeness?

Would *you* like to point out the rudeness in my posts on this
subject?
Old 18-07-2003, 07:45 PM
Jim Carter

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 17:30:47 GMT, Frogleg wrote in
rec.gardens.edible:

Look, I don't want to belabor this but the sighs and the chiding were
entirely unnecessary and rude behavior.

It's Usenet, get over yourself.

Usenet is an excuse for rudeness?

Would *you* like to point out the rudeness in my posts on this
subject?

My comment is aimed at whoever feels that rudeness is acceptable and normal
behaviour on usenet. Rudeness is not necessary or acceptable anywhere. I do
not think you are the one who said it was.
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a