Old 20-07-2003, 04:32 AM
Matthew Montchalin

Default anise or fennel?

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003, Cereoid-UR12- wrote:
|Sorry Henrietta but a degree in botany is not required for one to
|hybridize plants.

Degrees in botany are not necessary for marketing such hybrid plants,
either.

|There are scores of amateur and professional plant hybridizers in
|the world who don't have degrees.

Thereby making the world a better place to live in.

|You may be shocked to know that Luther Burbank never had a degree
|in botany or horticulture but he was able to make many outstanding
|plant hybrids that are still being grown to this day.
|
|After reading over his memoirs, it quickly became clear to me that
|Burbank could have done much more if had a clearer understanding of
|botany but he was still able to make a fortune anyway.

That is an encouraging thought.

|To become better aquatinted with the phylogeny of the genera of
|Apiaceae (Umbelliferae) (and the allied Apiaceae), one should read
|over the taxonomic and cytological articles written on the family,
|find out exactly on what is the basis for the genera, find out what
|intergeneric crosses have already been made and just go ahead and do
|experimental crosses to see what happens.

Okay.

|You may want to look in the Agricola database for some leads.
|
|The recent creation of the snap pea was the result of someone who
|went ahead and made what originally seemed to be frivolous crosses
|between traditional seed peas and oriental pod peas. A whole new
|type of commercially viable pea was created instead. You never
|know what you might get unless you try.

Success stories are always encouraging.

Old 21-07-2003, 04:52 AM
Matthew Montchalin

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003, P van Rijckevorsel wrote:
|Cereoid-UR12- schreef
| If that website doesn't leave him totally confused, nothing will, eh
| Rinkytink?
|
|+ + +
|Surely he was already lost beyond redemption when somebody posted:
|
| Citing your source is always helpful.
|
| http://www.amjbot.org/cgi/content/abstract/87/2/273
|
|What is the poor guy who wanted to come up with a different-tasting
|parsley to think of that?

I'll let you know when I get around to plugging a mouse into my
computer, and try going there.

Old 21-07-2003, 02:22 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Matthew Montchalin schreef
I'll let you know when I get around to plugging a mouse into my

computer, and try going there.

+ + +
Indeed lost, but perhaps not lost beyond redemption?
PvR

Old 21-07-2003, 02:42 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Don't disappoint us, Matthew.

A mouse usually already comes with the computer nowadays.

So hook that bad boy up ASAP.

How can you even navigate without "point & click"?

Old 22-07-2003, 03:48 AM
Matthew Montchalin

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003, Cereoid-UR12- wrote:
|Don't disappoint us, Matthew.
|
|A mouse usually already comes with the computer nowadays.
|
|So hook that bad boy up ASAP.
|
|How can you even navigate without "point & click"?

How did you manage to post that? Pointed & clicked? hmmm...
I've *heard* about those kinds of computers, just wouldn't figure
anybody would actually use one...

Old 22-07-2003, 03:54 AM
Matthew Montchalin

Old 22-07-2003, 03:55 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

You really have turned out to be a major disappointment, Matthew.

You are unbelievably out of touch with the times.

Isn't about time you finally got rid of your TRS 80 and got a real computer?

Why not get out of your cave and go to CompUSA and buy a new one with a
mouse and all the other standard accessories?

Old 27-07-2003, 03:42 AM
Noydb

Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Pat Meadows said:

I can't offhand think of any particular reason why anyone
would WANT a parsley/cilantro cross.

In the hopes of getting a cilantro-flavored plant that will produce leaves
for an entire season without bolting. (Not exactly a fortune-making
enterprise, to be sure.)

Dunno about that ... look what a dollar a plant did for the guy who bred
Mortgage Lifter.

Bill
--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)

Old 27-07-2003, 03:42 PM
Frogleg

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 22:38:55 -0400, Noydb
wrote:

Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Pat Meadows said:

I can't offhand think of any particular reason why anyone
would WANT a parsley/cilantro cross.

In the hopes of getting a cilantro-flavored plant that will produce leaves
for an entire season without bolting. (Not exactly a fortune-making
enterprise, to be sure.)

Dunno about that ... look what a dollar a plant did for the guy who bred
Mortgage Lifter.

I'm a little doubtful about the story (which is reported as both
$1/plant and $1/per tomato). Given an average income of $40/wk in
1941, that would have made the cost of one plant or tomato about $12
today, and I can hardly believe there would be many takers. 'Radiator
Charlie' may have indeed paid off his mortgage with successful sales
of plants and/or fruit, but not at $1 each. Tales of a "four pound
fruit" also sound a little suspect. I weighed a softball-sized tomato
yesterday ('Celebrity') that was just about 1 pound. A 4lb tomato
would, IMHO, be in the same category as a 500lb pumpkin -- possible to
grow and enter into a contest, but hardly a very practical food crop.
I know a number of posters are growing Mortgage Lifter. Any 4lb
tomatoes?

Planting star anise seeds theChas. Edible Gardening 5 24-01-2008 04:03 PM
FL Anise V_coerulea Garden Photos 0 05-04-2007 12:31 AM
Germination of Anise seeds. (Pimpinella Anisum) Pearson Reid United Kingdom 8 05-03-2004 11:45 AM
anise or fennel? Matthew Montchalin Plant Science 31 27-07-2003 03:42 AM
fennel MrMoosehead United Kingdom 3 01-12-2002 02:45 AM