Old 29-07-2003, 10:22 PM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

Default Tomatoes and Squirrels

In article ,
Andrew McMichael wrote:

Phaedrine Stonebridge wrote:

I recommend a .22 pump air rifle (if one has to use a "pellet" gun), as
opposed to a pistol, for accuracy and I find .22 superpoints quite
effective.

Those are good, but more expensive.

However, I prefer a .22 rimshot rifle using long or short CB
rounds (though I use both depending where the squirrel is). These are
actually more quiet than the air rifle and better at killing them
instantaneously.

For us city folk, that's not an option. Also, my next-door neighbor uses a .22
[against the law] loaded with hollow-point shorts. It is much louder than my
air gun. More effective, for sure. But deinfitely louder. We can all tell when
she's shooting.

Definitely a stupid thing to do in the city. "CB" rounds refer to
cartridges that produce low velocity and reduced noise. Ballistically,
they are similar to a .22 Caliber air rifle and are used for indoor
shooting, and close range pest control.
Old 29-07-2003, 10:32 PM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

In article ,
Andrew McMichael wrote:

Comcast News wrote:

I had the same problem with Squirrels. I tried ... and fencing.

I tried that, too. But those little buggers are masters of the epee.

I have noticed that too but their imbrocatta leaves much to be desired.
Old 30-07-2003, 01:22 AM
Mile High

I was hoping to hear a more humane way to stop the critters from destroying
my crops.

--
^Mile^^High^
reply to newsgroup only
"Phaedrine Stonebridge" wrote in message
news

Old 31-07-2003, 01:22 PM
Bpyboy

Rat traps work very well. I used some a couple years ago, and mounted them on
a stake so they would sit vertically. the squirrels didn't stand a chance.

I just drilled some holes through the wood base of the traps and bolted them to
some sharpened 1x2" stakes and planted them around, baited. I got a little
concerned, however, when the neighbor's cats started sniffing around them and
discontinued the plan. Iive traps work well too--and you can build them
yourself for squirrels and rabbits. I have some plans that work really well if
you're interested.
Old 03-08-2003, 09:05 AM

I don't know about tomatoes but a few years ago, those little critters
demolished my back porch garden of flowers. I'd come home + find my back
porch covered with dirt from my pots + most of my flowers dead on the
porch floor. I tried several things but nothing worked until an employee
of my local hardware store told me to use moth balls in my pots. He said
they don't like the smell so they'll stay away. I started using them +
haven't had a problem since. All my flowers are intact!

Alternate:

Old 05-08-2003, 04:17 AM
Comcast News

"Mile High" wrote in message
Any suggestions for deterring squirrels from eating my beautiful tomatoes?
It doesn't seem to matter to them if they are ripe or green. The plants

can
be full of fruit when I leave for work in the morning and quite sparse

when
I come home in the afternoon.
Please Help!
Thanks in advance,

^Mile^^High^

reply to newsgroup only
e-mail address is invalid

I had the same problem with Squirrels. I tried fake owls, fake rattle
snakes, Poison (they got fat and happy but not dead) and fencing. Nothing
worked until I decided to trap them. I called a company called Havahart and
ordered 2 squirrel sized varmint traps. I couldn't believe how well these
things worked. Caught about 24 squirrels in little over a week (use tomatoes
or squirrel grub as bait). The only bad thing was I had to drive them about
5 miles away otherwise I was told they would find their way back. I probably
could have a had a whole summers worth of squirrel jerky if I caught the
urge.

I have not had problem with squirrels since