Old 25-09-2005, 10:07 PM
Phil L

Default Squirrels and tomatoes

Do they eat them?

I /had/ about a hundredweight of tomatoes and they mostly seem to have
vanished, we are getting the top few fruits only, which are usually very
small...I assumed that someone had had them away in the night, but disovered
a squirrel on the gh roof a few days ago, could he / she be the culprit?

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 26-09-2005, 04:03 PM
Tracey

"Phil L" wrote in message
.uk...
Do they eat them?

I /had/ about a hundredweight of tomatoes and they mostly seem to have
vanished, we are getting the top few fruits only, which are usually very
small...I assumed that someone had had them away in the night, but
disovered
a squirrel on the gh roof a few days ago, could he / she be the culprit?

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Yes, squirrels do eat tomatoes!

Tracey

Old 26-09-2005, 04:29 PM
Alan Holmes

"Tracey" wrote in message

"Phil L" wrote in message
.uk...
Do they eat them?

I /had/ about a hundredweight of tomatoes and they mostly seem to have
vanished, we are getting the top few fruits only, which are usually very
small...I assumed that someone had had them away in the night, but
disovered
a squirrel on the gh roof a few days ago, could he / she be the culprit?

Yes, squirrels do eat tomatoes!

Not in my area, they concentrate on the nut tree!

Alan

Tracey

Old 26-09-2005, 04:57 PM
ken69

Just can't believe, Phil, they would get thru cwt without some mess
behind. Sounds human ,happened to me last year.Caught him on CCTV, not
actually a vicar, but close.

Old 27-09-2005, 08:26 PM
Phil L

ken69 wrote:
:: Just can't believe, Phil, they would get thru cwt without some mess
:: behind. Sounds human ,happened to me last year.Caught him on CCTV, not
:: actually a vicar, but close.

It's not human because the GH with a closing door hasn't been affected, also
we have a dog who goes berserk at nightime noises.
I have counted up to 6 squirrels at a time in my front garden and today
while scarifying the lawn I discovered about 50 - 60 acorns pushed deep into
the long grass, why do they do this?

Anyway I've put a bolt on the other GH door and I've noticed more red in
there this week than any other throughout the summer.

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 27-09-2005, 08:26 PM
Phil L

Tracey wrote:
:: "Phil L" wrote in message
:: .uk...
::: Do they eat them?
:::
::: I /had/ about a hundredweight of tomatoes and they mostly seem to have
::: vanished, we are getting the top few fruits only, which are usually very
::: small...I assumed that someone had had them away in the night, but
::: disovered
::: a squirrel on the gh roof a few days ago, could he / she be the culprit?
:::
:::
::: --
::: If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.
:::
:::
:::
::
:: Yes, squirrels do eat tomatoes!
::
I'll have to remeber for next year...although we haven't gone short as such,
I /was/ hoping to get a few bagfulls for the freezer for cooking my curries
and chillis - tinned ones are rubbish IMV, too sweet and watery.

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 27-09-2005, 08:50 PM
Jack Ouzzi

Phil L wrote:

:: Yes, squirrels do eat tomatoes!
::
I'll have to remeber for next year...although we haven't gone short as such,
I /was/ hoping to get a few bagfulls for the freezer for cooking my curries
and chillis - tinned ones are rubbish IMV, too sweet and watery.

Squirrel & Tomatoe Pie ?

Old 27-09-2005, 08:56 PM
Alan Holmes

"Jack Ouzzi" wrote in message
oups.com...
Phil L wrote:

:: Yes, squirrels do eat tomatoes!
::
I'll have to remeber for next year...although we haven't gone short as
such,
I /was/ hoping to get a few bagfulls for the freezer for cooking my
curries
and chillis - tinned ones are rubbish IMV, too sweet and watery.

Squirrel & Tomatoe Pie ?

Sounds good, but I've never found a squirrel which has enough meat on it to
even try to cook it!

Alan

Old 27-09-2005, 09:08 PM
Phil L

Alan Holmes wrote:
:: "Jack Ouzzi" wrote in message
:: oups.com...
::: Phil L wrote:
:::
:::::: Yes, squirrels do eat tomatoes!
::::::
:::: I'll have to remeber for next year...although we haven't gone short as
:::: such,
:::: I /was/ hoping to get a few bagfulls for the freezer for cooking my
:::: curries
:::: and chillis - tinned ones are rubbish IMV, too sweet and watery.
:::
::: Squirrel & Tomatoe Pie ?
::
:: Sounds good, but I've never found a squirrel which has enough meat on it
:: to even try to cook it!
::

These ones do - big as bloody Alsations now after dining on my prize
tomatoes all summer :-(

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 27-09-2005, 09:08 PM
JP in Lon

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Jack Ouzzi" wrote in message
oups.com...

Shall we move this to U.F+D.M ? :@)

Old 28-09-2005, 06:20 AM
john

On 27 Sep 2005 12:50:44 -0700, "Jack Ouzzi"
wrote:

Phil L wrote:

:: Yes, squirrels do eat tomatoes!
::
I'll have to remeber for next year...although we haven't gone short as such,
I /was/ hoping to get a few bagfulls for the freezer for cooking my curries
and chillis - tinned ones are rubbish IMV, too sweet and watery.

Squirrel & Tomatoe Pie ?

How do you prepare your tomatoes for freezing?

Thank you.

John.

Old 28-09-2005, 02:50 PM
Phil L

john wrote:
:: On 27 Sep 2005 12:50:44 -0700, "Jack Ouzzi"
:: wrote:
::
:::
:: ========================================
:: How do you prepare your tomatoes for freezing?
::
:: Thank you.
::
:: John.

I put them inside a plastic bag and tie the end! - seriously, there's
nothing else needs doing to them, when they are defrosted they are only fit
for cooking with anyway and are easier to skin from frozen, just put them in
a bowl and pour over a bit of hot water, the skin just falls off
them.....they keep almost all of their flavour.

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.