Old 13-09-2007, 12:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Lettuce or Crop to Grow in Raleigh ALL YEAR ROUND

Hello,

I'm interested in learning if there is a version of lettuce or
"similar" vegetable that I can grow on my patio garden all year round
and not have to worry about the cold. I live in the Raleigh, NC
area. What handles the weather the best hear?

Thanks
Sam

Old 13-09-2007, 02:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

I'm interested in learning if there is a version of lettuce or
"similar" vegetable that I can grow on my patio garden all year round
and not have to worry about the cold. I live in the Raleigh, NC
area. What handles the weather the best hear?

Thanks
Sam

How cold does it get? Are you planting in containers?

Old 13-09-2007, 05:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

I'm interested in learning if there is a version of lettuce or
"similar" vegetable that I can grow on my patio garden all year round
and not have to worry about the cold. I live in the Raleigh, NC
area. What handles the weather the best hear?

Kale or spinach are some of the most cold-tolerant.

In Raleigh I don't know if you could grow them all winter. I'm
guessing they'd either die off at some point, or at least stop growing
for a while. But late fall and early spring for sure.

You might be able to extend the season with some sort of
mini-greenhouse, for example this:
http://www.growerssupply.com/farm/su...;e055ab41.html
or this:
http://www.growerssupply.com/farm/su...;9620fe59.html
(something similar to the latter can be made from scavenged plastic
bottles or the like)
Old 13-09-2007, 01:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jim Kingdon" wrote in message
news
I'm interested in learning if there is a version of lettuce or
"similar" vegetable that I can grow on my patio garden all year round
and not have to worry about the cold. I live in the Raleigh, NC
area. What handles the weather the best hear?

Kale or spinach are some of the most cold-tolerant.

Collard greens laugh at cold weather, too. They'll reach a point where
they'll stop growing and just sit there, but they won't die until the temps
reach the point of insanity.

Old 14-09-2007, 01:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

mini-greenhouse, for example this:http://www.growerssupply.com/farm/su...tio_growhouses...
or this:http://www.growerssupply.com/farm/su...tio_growhouses...
(something similar to the latter can be made from scavenged plastic
bottles or the like)

Sorry if I belabor this point, but if I get a greenhouse like those
shown in this link, will I be able to keep my lettuce on my backdoor
patio without fear of them freezing? I really would like a system so
that I can grow my own lettuce and veggies year round, and if this
will work, it's probably the best. The next option is probably a
"window sill" device indoors with some sort of lighting system. This
greenhouse on the patio seems to be the cheapest...

Thanks

Old 14-09-2007, 01:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Two things:

1) I asked you yesterday how cold it gets during your winters. Never got an
answer. That's important information for this discussion. Your greenhouse
question cannnot be accurately answered without this information.

2) Window sill: Do you have a south window that will not be blocked by any
bush, shrub, overhang, etc? If not, you'll need to use supplemental light.
To duplicate sunlight, you'll need about 10,000 watts worth of fixtures.
Unless lettuce is terribly overpriced at your stores, you're probably better
off buying it.

Old 15-09-2007, 12:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 13, 8:53 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

ps.com...

[...]

This link should give you all the info you need regarding
temperatures:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ng-winter.html

I have a window that points to the south, but there is a tree in the
way so the sunlight is not direct. I have direct sunlight on my
patio, but it faces north.

Regards
Sam

Old 15-09-2007, 12:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 13, 12:28 am, Jim Kingdon wrote:
I'm interested in learning if there is a version of lettuce or
"similar" vegetable that I can grow on my patio garden all year round
and not have to worry about the cold. I live in the Raleigh, NC
area. What handles the weather the best hear?

Kale or spinach are some of the most cold-tolerant.

In Raleigh I don't know if you could grow them all winter. I'm
guessing they'd either die off at some point, or at least stop growing
for a while. But late fall and early spring for sure.

You might be able to extend the season with some sort of
mini-greenhouse, for example this:http://www.growerssupply.com/farm/su...tio_growhouses...
or this:http://www.growerssupply.com/farm/su...tio_growhouses...
(something similar to the latter can be made from scavenged plastic
bottles or the like)

If I purchase a greenhouse such as that shown, will I be able to grow
lettuce outside in the winter. I live in Raleigh, and here are the
temperatures in the winter:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ng-winter.html

Old 15-09-2007, 12:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

That's a discussion site. The proper thing would be for you to not expect us
to read through all those messages. You should distill the information and
present it here.

If it get below freezing for any length of time, you will need to find a way
to heat the greenhouse.

How far away is your nearest supermarket? And, do you have an "I don't care
what I spend" budget for this greenhouse project?

Old 22-09-2007, 03:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

oups.com...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ll-cary/145432...

That's a discussion site. The proper thing would be for you to not expect us
to read through all those messages. You should distill the information and
present it here.

If it get below freezing for any length of time, you will need to find a way
to heat the greenhouse.

How far away is your nearest supermarket? And, do you have an "I don't care
what I spend" budget for this greenhouse project?

I suggest you read informative article about growing winter gardens
at:
http://raised-garden-bed.com/Chapt4.html

Johnny

Old 22-09-2007, 11:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Johnny" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 14, 7:18 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

The article doesn't mention lettuce. At low enough temps, lettuce will not
survive, while members of the cabbage family (in the article) will.

If the OP wants lettuce, he/she may have to add heat.