Old 05-08-2003, 04:18 AM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

Default Yikes! Corn Flea Beetles

We have the un-luck to have gotten corn flea beetles in what was
absolutely beautiful corn. I have visited many websites on this problem
but I am not finding any way to control them or the disease they cause.
It just says to plant resistent varieties next year. Is it true
there is no control for them? Shall we just give up on the corn?
::sniffs:: Missouri Z 5b.
Old 05-08-2003, 04:32 AM
John DeBoo

Phaedrine Stonebridge wrote:

We have the un-luck to have gotten corn flea beetles in what was
absolutely beautiful corn. I have visited many websites on this problem
but I am not finding any way to control them or the disease they cause.
It just says to plant resistent varieties next year. Is it true
there is no control for them? Shall we just give up on the corn?
::sniffs:: Missouri Z 5b.

Regular(?) flea beetles are controlled with Sevin. You might read
the label on a bottle and see what dose etc to use for corn, if
applicable. One thing I found, Sevin and pumpkins DO NOT like each
other. 'kins are almost dead...grrrr....

Old 05-08-2003, 05:42 AM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

In article ,
John DeBoo wrote:

Phaedrine Stonebridge wrote:

We have the un-luck to have gotten corn flea beetles in what was
absolutely beautiful corn. I have visited many websites on this problem
but I am not finding any way to control them or the disease they cause.
It just says to plant resistent varieties next year. Is it true
there is no control for them? Shall we just give up on the corn?
::sniffs:: Missouri Z 5b.

Regular(?) flea beetles are controlled with Sevin. You might read
the label on a bottle and see what dose etc to use for corn, if
applicable. One thing I found, Sevin and pumpkins DO NOT like each
other. 'kins are almost dead...grrrr....

Well, for the first year in like 6 or 7, we seem to have some nice
honeybee visitors. They expecially like the cleomes. So I cannot be
using Sevin. But thank you for responding.
Old 06-08-2003, 01:42 PM
HomeGrownVegies

We have the un-luck to have gotten corn flea beetles in what was
absolutely beautiful corn. I have visited many websites on this problem
but I am not finding any way to control them or the disease they cause.
It just says to plant resistent varieties next year. Is it true
there is no control for them? Shall we just give up on the corn?
::sniffs:: Missouri Z 5b.

no you don't have to give up on your corn. Just make sure you water your corn
every day and use mulch

Old 07-08-2003, 11:22 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Phaedrine Stonebridge said:

no you don't have to give up on your corn. Just make sure you water your corn
every day and use mulch

Are flea beetles a problem caused by not enough water then?

No, but they are happiest in dry conditions.

Mulching (especially if you add coffeegrounds or used tea leaves) is good.
(Spraying the plants with dilute coffee is also a repellant.)

Flea beetles can carry a disease of corn called Stewart's wilt. Where flea
beetles are a regular threat, it is important to grow corn varieties resistant to
Stewart's wilt.

http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.corne...n_Stewarts.htm

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Flea beetles Billy[_7_] Edible Gardening 11 29-05-2009 09:28 PM
flea beetle problems Ook Gardening 3 15-05-2007 07:54 PM
Flea beetles on Tropaeolum MadCow United Kingdom 1 14-08-2006 08:49 PM
flea beetle thehams United Kingdom 2 02-05-2006 12:35 AM
Flea Beetle Problem Craig Gardening 2 08-07-2005 10:47 PM