Old 13-05-2007, 10:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

Default flea beetle problems

I have a rather serious flea beetle infestation. Small seedlings are being
stripped before they can get big enough to survive the damage. I hesitate to
use chemicals that say things like "wait 3 weeks after using this before
harvest". Garlic spray doesn't work. Wood ashes doesn't work. Does anyone
have any practical advice on how to handle flea beetles without getting out
pesticides that kills everything that lives? I'll do that if I have to, but
I'm open to safer alternatives.

Old 14-05-2007, 07:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the
Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in message

I have a rather serious flea beetle infestation. Small seedlings are being
stripped before they can get big enough to survive the damage. I hesitate
to use chemicals that say things like "wait 3 weeks after using this before
harvest". Garlic spray doesn't work. Wood ashes doesn't work. Does anyone
have any practical advice on how to handle flea beetles without getting out
pesticides that kills everything that lives? I'll do that if I have to, but
I'm open to safer alternatives.

I haven't tried it, but radio garden shows and garden centers in my area
have been hyping Neem like crazy this season.

This Cornell web site has good details on the most widely used organic
products...

http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/pp/res...olanaceous.php

Old 15-05-2007, 12:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 13 May 2007 14:39:41 -0700, "Ook" Ook Don't send me any
spam wrote:

I have a rather serious flea beetle infestation. Small seedlings are being
stripped before they can get big enough to survive the damage. I hesitate to
use chemicals that say things like "wait 3 weeks after using this before
harvest". Garlic spray doesn't work. Wood ashes doesn't work. Does anyone
have any practical advice on how to handle flea beetles without getting out
pesticides that kills everything that lives? I'll do that if I have to, but
I'm open to safer alternatives.

Well, chemicals do work, but follow the instructions carefully...
Dust with Sevin after every rain or spray with Malathion.
Old 15-05-2007, 07:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
z z is offline

Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in messagenews:VIadnXBazY_zGNrbnZ2dnUVZ_vKunZ2d@gigan ews.com...

I have a rather serious flea beetle infestation. Small seedlings are being
stripped before they can get big enough to survive the damage. I hesitate
to use chemicals that say things like "wait 3 weeks after using this before
harvest". Garlic spray doesn't work. Wood ashes doesn't work. Does anyone
have any practical advice on how to handle flea beetles without getting out
pesticides that kills everything that lives? I'll do that if I have to, but
I'm open to safer alternatives.

I haven't tried it, but radio garden shows and garden centers in my area
have been hyping Neem like crazy this season.

This Cornell web site has good details on the most widely used organic
products...

http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/pp/res...olanaceous.php

Yeah, Neem first showed up on the organic gardening front a few years
ago, since then has been gaining momentum like crazy. Only drawback
seems to be it's not very longlasting. Claim is that people in India
actually consume it as a tonic.

[IMG] code is On

Flea Beetle remedy anyone? Bertie Doe United Kingdom 5 24-04-2007 04:39 PM
Flea beetles on Tropaeolum MadCow United Kingdom 1 14-08-2006 08:49 PM
flea beetle thehams United Kingdom 2 02-05-2006 12:35 AM
Flea Beetle Problem Craig Gardening 2 08-07-2005 10:47 PM
Yikes! Corn Flea Beetles Phaedrine Stonebridge Edible Gardening 6 07-08-2003 09:02 PM