Old 09-08-2003, 02:33 PM
Grilled Spam

Default yellowing leaves on chili pepper plant

I have a pepper plant in a 2 cubic ft container on my deck,
and something is not right about it because it's leaves are
starting to turn yellow. It used to be dark green, but it's
now yellowish green, so I assume it needs some fertilizer,
but I'm not sure if it needs mostly N, K, P or Fe and/or
some other trace element.

It was originally planted outside of my home in '99, but it
was dug up after the first frost, and it's been in the same
container ever since, either inside or outside, depending on
the weather.

Old 09-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Noydb

Grilled Spam wrote:

I have a pepper plant in a 2 cubic ft container on my deck,
and something is not right about it because it's leaves are
starting to turn yellow. It used to be dark green, but it's
now yellowish green, so I assume it needs some fertilizer,
but I'm not sure if it needs mostly N, K, P or Fe and/or
some other trace element.

It was originally planted outside of my home in '99, but it
was dug up after the first frost, and it's been in the same
container ever since, either inside or outside, depending on
the weather.

This is a 4 year old annual?

--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)

Old 10-08-2003, 04:42 AM
Grilled Spam

This is a 4 year old annual?

Yes.

Old 10-08-2003, 02:12 PM
Mike Stevenson

Peppers (and Tomatoes) are not actually annuals, but perennials. They are
native to tropical climes and in those enviroments they can live for many
years. If they are brought indoors during the winter and kept in a
relatively warm and moist room they can be replanted in the late spring and
continue to thrive...

As to the yellowing...no idea...

Old 11-08-2003, 06:08 AM
Lee Hall

"Grilled Spam" wrote in message ...
I have a pepper plant in a 2 cubic ft container on my deck,
and something is not right about it because it's leaves are
starting to turn yellow. It used to be dark green, but it's
now yellowish green, so I assume it needs some fertilizer,
but I'm not sure if it needs mostly N, K, P or Fe and/or
some other trace element.

It was originally planted outside of my home in '99, but it
was dug up after the first frost, and it's been in the same
container ever since, either inside or outside, depending on
the weather.

If your plants are turning a mottled brown and yellow with splotches,
it is probably a blight. Peppers are relatives of the tomato and are
susceptible to the same diseases. If, however, the bottom leaves are
just turning yellow, it is probably simple choriosis (yellowing)
caused by excessive watering.

Lee Hall
Zone 6B - Tennessee

Old 12-08-2003, 01:37 AM
Grilled Spam tastes yummi !!

"Lee Hall" wrote in message
om...

If your plants are turning a mottled brown and yellow with splotches,
it is probably a blight. Peppers are relatives of the tomato and are
susceptible to the same diseases. If, however, the bottom leaves are
just turning yellow, it is probably simple choriosis (yellowing)
caused by excessive watering.

It's pretty much all the leaves that are turning yellow,
a few with brown splotches....

Overwatering could be an issue as I watered it a little
more than usual during a recent heatwave, which were
promptly followed by a few downpours.

I did some google search, and came up with magnesium,
manganese, and iron as possible minerals pepper plants
could be lacking, but I'm not sure about the symptoms
the lack of these might cause.

Old 12-08-2003, 01:32 PM
Mike Stevenson

This is an except from a website dealing with plant nutrition...

Magnesium is a critical structural component of the chlorophyll molecule and
is necessary for functioning of plant enzymes to produce carbohydrates,
sugars and fats. It is used for fruit and nut formation and essential for
germination of seeds. Deficient plants appear chlorotic, show yellowing
between veins of older leaves; leaves may droop. Magnesium is leached by
watering and must be supplied when feeding. It can be applied as a foliar
spray to correct deficiencies.

I hope you can find this information helpful...

"Grilled Spam tastes yummi !!" wrote in message

om...

Old 12-08-2003, 01:32 PM
Mike Stevenson

Oh yeah on the other 2 nutrients it says...

Iron is necessary for many enzyme functions and as a catalyst for the synthesis of chlorophyll. It is essential for the young growing parts of plants. Deficiencies are pale leaf color of young leaves followed by yellowing of leaves and large veins. Iron is lost by leaching and is held in the lower portions of the soil structure. Under conditions of high pH (alkaline) iron is rendered unavailable to plants. When soils are alkaline, iron may be abundant but unavailable. Applications of an acid nutrient formula containing iron chelates, held in soluble form, should correct the problem.

Manganese is involved in enzyme activity for photosynthesis, respiration, and nitrogen metabolism. Deficiency in young leaves may show a network of green veins on a light green background similar to an iron deficiency. In the advanced stages the light green parts become white, and leaves are shed. Brownish, black, or grayish spots may appear next to the veins. In neutral or alkaline soils plants often show deficiency symptoms. In highly acid soils, manganese may be available to the extent that it results in toxicity.

"Grilled Spam tastes yummi !!" wrote in message ...

om...

Old 12-08-2003, 04:42 PM
NC_FUBAR

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 15:28:20 -0700, "Grilled Spam tastes yummi !!"
wrote:

"Lee Hall" wrote in message
. com...

If your plants are turning a mottled brown and yellow with splotches,
it is probably a blight. Peppers are relatives of the tomato and are
susceptible to the same diseases. If, however, the bottom leaves are
just turning yellow, it is probably simple choriosis (yellowing)
caused by excessive watering.

It's pretty much all the leaves that are turning yellow,
a few with brown splotches....

Overwatering could be an issue as I watered it a little
more than usual during a recent heatwave, which were
promptly followed by a few downpours.

I did some google search, and came up with magnesium,
manganese, and iron as possible minerals pepper plants
could be lacking, but I'm not sure about the symptoms
the lack of these might cause.

Try adding some Ironite. It will replace the minerals without risk of
burning the plant. Overwatering could have leached those minerals as
well as cacium from the soil. Ironite will replace it. Another good
source for calcium is pure Epsom Salts.

Lee
Zone 7

Old 13-08-2003, 10:42 AM
Grilled Spam tastes yummi !!

Thanks a lot for the excerpts -- based on
your citations it appears to me that my plant
could be lacking all of Fe, Mg, and Mn,
but at the very least 2 of the above -- Fe
and Mg for sure, and probably Mn, too.

I might actually have some KMnO4 and
FeCl3, but I'm not sure if they make a
good fertilizer.... ;-)

t...

Old 13-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Mike Stevenson

Just be careful not to think too much into it. It's very easy to get bogged
down in the details of mineral deficienies and plant diseases and drive
yourself crazy trying to treat all these percieved problems. I would highly
recommend having an extensive soil test done if you are pretty sure your
problem is a mineral deficiencies. Your local agricultural extension will
probubly do these tests for free, just request a full trace mineral work-up.
It's important to be sure becuase having too much of some minerals can be as
bad or worse than not having enough, and you could accidentally overdose
your plant. Just be careful.

One thing no one has mentioned yet is SALT. It generally requires quite a
bit in order to hurt your plants but it is possible. If you are using
softened water to water your plants it can build up in the soil and cause
symptoms similiar to what you are describing. If you happen to live fairly
close to the ocean, particularly on the West Coast where the air currents
bring rain from off the ocean, it could also have built up in your soil. If
nothing else its something to consider.

As to the minerals, Ironite is good for the iron issue, and for magnesium
you can try Epsom Salts, applied as a spray mixed with water. About 2
tablespoons per quart I believe is considered a good mixture. I am not sure
what provides magnease.

Old 13-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Mike Stevenson

Your local agricultural extension will
probubly do these tests for free, just request a full trace mineral

work-up.

Opps, I MEANT to say for a FEE. Some might possibly do it for free, but if
you request a full mineral work-up it will probubly cost ya. Here in WV it
was $30 for a full trace mineral test per sample...

Old 14-08-2003, 12:12 AM
Grilled Spam tastes yummi !!

I think a soil test would cost a lot more than one pepper
plant worth, so I won't do that. I just bought some
epson salt ($1.97 for 3 lbs) and a Lilly Miller
"Vitamin B1 plant starter" liquid for ($3.97 for 1 gallon)
which contains:
B: 0.02%
Fe: 0.125%
Mn: 0.125%
Zn: 0.125%

I will add these to the water for a couple of weeks, or
until the plant looks better.