Old 09-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Kathy

Default Rabbits

I have asked the rabbit nicely to please not eat my young vegetable plants.
I have told them they could eat the grass but they keep coming back and
nibbling on my young tender bean plants. I even brushed out the dog and put
the hair around the area and just now there it was again. Short of putting
up a chicken wire fence does anyone know how to keep them out?

Thanks in advance, Kathy

Old 09-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Pat Meadows

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 16:44:37 GMT, "Kathy"
wrote:

I have asked the rabbit nicely to please not eat my young vegetable plants.
I have told them they could eat the grass but they keep coming back and
nibbling on my young tender bean plants. I even brushed out the dog and put
the hair around the area and just now there it was again. Short of putting
up a chicken wire fence does anyone know how to keep them out?

Nope. We put up a chicken wire fence. It doesn't have to
be very high or very strong for rabbits.

Pat
Old 09-08-2003, 06:42 PM

"Kathy" wrote in message
I have asked the rabbit nicely to please not eat my young vegetable

plants.
I have told them they could eat the grass but they keep coming back and
nibbling on my young tender bean plants. I even brushed out the dog and

put
the hair around the area and just now there it was again. Short of putting
up a chicken wire fence does anyone know how to keep them out?

Thanks in advance, Kathy

I've just spent a month fighting a horde of 4 large white rabbits in the
middle of the city. Before I found something that worked I lost a bed of
carrots and most of my limas, black and pinto beans, and they had begun
eating avocado plants... stem and all down to the soil!

What finally worked was powdered cayenne pepper, dry (spraying pepper and
water didn't phase them). The powder is light and sits on the leaves. For a
few days I'd see one bite out of a different leaf (black-eyed peas were all
that were left) and no more damage. When the green beans re-leafed they hit
again so I put cayenne on them and they left them alone.

The carrot sprouts all took a hit again this week so they're still coming
around but those are sprinkled now, too.

FWIW, it was Zatarain's brand sprinkled from a salt shaker.

Old 11-08-2003, 06:08 AM
Fudge

See my post above for groundhogs except deport them to Liberia where they
will find a new home.

Farmer John

Old 11-08-2003, 06:08 AM
Bpyboy

Back home in WI, a lot of folks would use the manure of rabbit predators like
mink, foxes.... around the plants. I don't know how well it worked, or that
it's a good idea to use the manure of carnivores around plants. but a lot of
old timers swore by it.

Maybe the urine that people use as cover scent for hunting? they bottle all
kinds of it, even some crazy stuff like bobcat and stuff.
Old 11-08-2003, 02:42 PM
Frogleg

"Kathy" wrote
I have asked the rabbit nicely to please not eat my young vegetable

plants.
I have told them they could eat the grass but they keep coming back and
nibbling on my young tender bean plants. I even brushed out the dog and

put
the hair around the area and just now there it was again. Short of putting
up a chicken wire fence does anyone know how to keep them out?

No. Check Google groups for endless discussion of rabbit problems. If
they are hungry and you have a salad bar, They Will Come. And they
*love* little bean plants.
Old 17-08-2003, 09:33 PM
J. Lane

You could try trapping them and selling them as pets to 4H'rs. Other than
that, the chicken wire sounds best.
--
Jayel

Old 17-08-2003, 10:03 PM
Kathy

Tell me more about trapping them. Have you ever trapped them, are they calm
enough to handle?
I do think however the chicken wire sounds the easiest.
Kathy

. ca...

Old 23-08-2003, 11:12 AM
J. Lane

Hi Kathy,
I've never tried to trap a rabbit, but I do have two of my own and am
fostering another four due to fires in my area. if you do manage to trap
some, wear leather gloves and a thick long-sleeved shirt. They bite and can
really kick something awesome. Grab them by the scruff of the neck( just
behind the ears) and slip a hand under the butt, to lift them. If you wish
to tame them, they're going to take a fair amount of work and expense.
Cages, food and hay don't come cheap! You need to check Google for some
websites on rabbits before you make a decision. They can make wonderful
pets, but taming a wild one may be more work and heartache( if they die in
captivity) than you are willing to undertake.
--
Jayel
"J. Lane" wrote in message
. ca...
You could try trapping them and selling them as pets to 4H'rs. Other than
that, the chicken wire sounds best.
--
Jayel

Rabbits, rabbits everywhere wind'n'stone United Kingdom 4 22-05-2008 08:15 PM
Rabbits Y United Kingdom 4 19-11-2003 06:03 PM
Rabbits and lawn fertilization Sigurd Kallhovde Lawns 0 12-10-2003 11:22 PM
rabbits and "burning bush" Jim Moran Lawns 5 19-03-2003 12:44 AM
Rabbits! John Hutchison United Kingdom 18 03-03-2003 03:24 AM