Old 09-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Kathy

Default squash leaves with the plague ?

Well yet another mystery in our veggie garden. The zucchini leaves have
white blotches on them. I cut them off and then more get it. Does anyone
have any idea what that might be? How about a cure? Don't know what I would
do with out your help.

I'm off to the store to get cayenne pepper to sprinkle on the leaves that
the rabbits are eating. They plucked one new bean plant off even with the
ground.

Thanks In Advance, Kathy

Old 10-08-2003, 12:12 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Kathy said:

Well yet another mystery in our veggie garden. The zucchini leaves have
white blotches on them. I cut them off and then more get it. Does anyone
have any idea what that might be? How about a cure? Don't know what I would
do with out your help.

White, powdery patches? Or silver-white splotches? The first is a disease
(powdery mildew) and the second a characteristic of some zucchini varieties.

Powdery mildew usually shows up for me sometime in late August when
I'm so tired of summer squash that I don't care if the plants start giving out.
I normally ignore it.

Here's something that may be worth trying, though:

http://www.pioneerthinking.com/tv-mildew.html

I'm off to the store to get cayenne pepper to sprinkle on the leaves that
the rabbits are eating. They plucked one new bean plant off even with the
ground.

I should think a little fence made of chicken wire would be easier and
more reliable. It would only have to be about 18 inches tall...
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 11-08-2003, 06:08 AM
Kathy

Well I went out and wiped on the leaves and it did not come off as a white
powder so I presume it is the silveer-white spotches you spoke of. Guess I
will just try another variety of zucchini next year, it looks aweful the new
leaves are fine but as soon as they get big they get those slotches. The
milk deal is easy and I will try it just in case. Thanks for your help.

Kathy

Old 11-08-2003, 07:42 AM
dstvns

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 20:53:20 GMT, "Kathy" wrote:

Well yet another mystery in our veggie garden. The zucchini leaves have
white blotches on them. I cut them off and then more get it. Does anyone
have any idea what that might be? How about a cure? Don't know what I would
do with out your help.

See "White Powder on Pumpkin Leaves" higher up in the list.

Dan

Old 11-08-2003, 05:02 PM
rosie readandpost

i wonder if this (milk spray) would work on things like hosta?

--
read and post daily, it works!
rosie

Instead of seeing things as imagined, learn to see them as they are. When you can see everything as it is, you will also
see
yourself as you are.
......................Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Old 12-08-2003, 12:02 PM
Pat Kiewicz

rosie readandpost said:

i wonder if this (milk spray) would work on things like hosta?

I suppose it would -- though I've never seen powdery mildew on hostas.

http://www.pioneerthinking.com/tv-mildew.html
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Are there virus resistant squash seeds? Virus killing my squash! goldtech Gardening 10 12-04-2013 01:16 PM
Surviving a plague of moths David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 30 13-08-2003 09:12 PM
Tiny Weevils - I think there's a plague of them eating my garden - please help Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 1 03-07-2003 11:44 PM
unknown plague Dgaim Roses 3 30-05-2003 05:56 PM
woolly aphids plague on native plants Greg Wake Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:34 AM