Old 20-08-2003, 06:32 AM
Kevin Miller

Default What do I do with my chili peppers?

What do I do with my chili peppers?
Old 20-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Mark A

Kevin Miller wrote in message . ..
What do I do with my chili peppers?

We've just pickled ours. You can use pickled chilis in all sorts of
recipes and they last for ages. Search for 'Pickled Chilis' on google
there are loads or recipes.
Old 21-08-2003, 01:22 AM
Robin

Kevin Miller wrote:
What do I do with my chili peppers?

I freeze my habeneros and thai dragons and use them like fresh throughout
the year. Slice them into stir fries, pasta etc.

Robin

Old 21-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Penny Morgan

There are many options. You can dry them by laying them out on a cookie
sheet in an area that is warm and dry (a kitchen counter works well) without
the direct sun hitting them (bright light is o.k.). Once they are
completely dried, store them in a ziploc or glass jar and seal.

You can freeze them in ziploc bags for later use. Just throw them in whole
and seal the bag. Try to get as much air out as possible. I use a straw to
draw out most of the air and then seal.

You can pickle them in a vinegar solution. I just clipped an article from
our local paper yesterday that talks about preserving veggies and herbs in
vinegar. One of the recipes used red wine vinegar, fresh oregano, 2 peeled
cloves of garlic, and 6-12 dried red chilies.

It says that after washing and patting the herbs dry, you can steep them in
vinegar slowly or quickly. The slow (and more traditional) method tends to
create fuller tasting vinegars. Add about 1/2 cup fresh herbs or 8
teaspoons dried herbs to a quart of cold vinegar in a bottle. Close the
bottle tightly, place it in a warm location that is not in direct sunlight.
Allow the mixture to steep for 2-3 weeks, shaking the bottle occasionally to
stir the mix. The best vinegars to use are red or white wine vinegars. The
vinegars should be used within 1 year. The more ingredients you use in the
vinegar, the less acidic it becomes, which loses its power to preserve the
ingredients over a long period of time. You can sprinkle the vinegar on
salads, fish and meats.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina

Old 22-08-2003, 06:04 AM
Grandpa

Roast them, wrap for a minute or so in a damp towel to steam the skin
from the chili, peel USE RUBBER GLOVES!!!, let cool, place in a
freezer bag and use as needed later. Thaw from the freezer, chop up a
bit and add chopped garlic, some salt and thats it. They are so good on
eggs, hamburgers, you name it. If it ain't got chili, it ain't real!

Oh, goes really well with smashed avacados & chips too - mmmmm.....

Old 23-08-2003, 03:12 AM
Pam Rudd

When last we left our heros, on Wed, 20 Aug 2003 00:28:26 -0500,
Kevin Miller scribbled:

What do I do with my chili peppers?

Eat 'em!

What kind do you have?

You can stuff and grill the ones that have a large enough
cavity.

Seed the peppers, and roast them just long enough to
tenderize. Use 2 parts Monterey Jack, 2 parts chedder,
and one part blue cheese...

Don't say eewwuuu, try the blue cheese. There's not enough to
give it strong flavor.

Mix a little garlic, basil, and onion in with the cheese, stuff
the pepper, and grill them just long enough to melt the cheese.
Yum!

Peppers are nice sliced into stir frys, or you can make your
own Mexican dishes, too.

And don't forget your non-gardening friends.

Pam

---

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
--Benjamin Franklin

Chili Peppers Danzo Gardening 5 09-07-2011 04:45 PM
Advice needed: Thai chili plants and their peppers stopped growing Chris Metzler Gardening 5 13-07-2007 05:26 AM
Peppers inside peppers Chris Dutton Gardening 2 28-02-2006 05:19 PM
Chili peppers lose their sting upon drying? Ian Gil Edible Gardening 2 14-07-2003 12:52 AM
Chili plants Magnus Ekhall Gardening 1 08-06-2003 06:20 PM