Old 17-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Greg

Default Seedless Grape Propagation

I've rooted some cuttings from my Concord Seedless grape vines. I'm
new to grape gardening, and would like to know if these cuttings will
produce seedless concord grapes?
Old 18-09-2003, 03:12 AM
Dwayne

Hi. I have been told not to plant then within one or two hundred feet of
grapes that are seeded. I don't know why, but that is what they teach at
college. I took a pruning class and that was one of the tidbits of
information that I remembered.

Dwayne

om...

Old 18-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Greg

That's good information to know Dwayne, since I have a seeded vine
within 200 feet of my seedless vines.

Still would like to know if the seedless cuttings will produce
seedless grapes. Is cuttings the method of choice for seedless grape
propagation?

"Dwayne" wrote in message ...
Hi. I have been told not to plant then within one or two hundred feet of
grapes that are seeded. I don't know why, but that is what they teach at
college. I took a pruning class and that was one of the tidbits of
information that I remembered.

Dwayne

om...

Old 19-09-2003, 04:13 AM
Steve

Greg wrote:

That's good information to know Dwayne, since I have a seeded vine
within 200 feet of my seedless vines.

Still would like to know if the seedless cuttings will produce
seedless grapes. Is cuttings the method of choice for seedless grape
propagation?

Your seedless cuttings will grow up to produce seedless grapes, just
like the mother plant that the cuttings came from. Sometimes grapes are
grafted to a better root variety. This is done only when there is a
specific problem with growing a grape in its own roots. Most propagation
is with cuttings as you have done.

As far as the 200 ft rule, I've never heard of that before. I know that
if seedless cucumbers are pollinated by a seedy variety of cucumber, the
seedless one will have seeds too. I didn't think it worked that way with
grapes but I suppose it's possible.

Steve

Old 01-10-2003, 04:37 AM
Dwayne

Someone toold me that planting them too close will produce very small soft
seed things in the seedless grapes.

Dwayne

Old 02-10-2003, 01:42 AM
Steve

Some "seedless" grapes are known to produce those soft seeds. I have
read that Venus is prone to that and my Venus does, in fact, have small
seeds in some of the grapes. They are small enough to be easily edible
and they often stay with the stem when you pull the grape loose.
In my case, cross pollination with a seeded variety isn't the cause
because I have no seeded variety on my property. I'm pretty sure I'm the
only one in the neighborhood with any grapes at all.

Steve