Old 18-09-2003, 04:02 AM
Tim Foecke

Default Isabel-proofing tomatoes

Isabel is bearing down on my raised beds. I've reinforced as best I
can, but I think they're toast.

Here's hoping for the best.
Old 18-09-2003, 12:12 PM
Pat Meadows

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 02:48:10 GMT, Tim Foecke
wrote:

Isabel is bearing down on my raised beds. I've reinforced as best I
can, but I think they're toast.

Here's hoping for the best.

I think a lot of us are going to lose our tomatoes and
whatever else is in our gardens at this point.

I hope it passes you by without damage, and everyone else
too.

The eye of the storm (whatever is left of it by that time)
is forecast to pass right over us (north central PA).
Widespread flooding is expected - we should be OK, we're
partway up a hill, although there's a creek at the bottom of
the hill. We'll almost certainly lose electricity, it's
never really stable here at the best of times, and seems to
go down in each and every thunderstorm.

Pat
Old 18-09-2003, 05:02 PM
len

"Tim Foecke" wrote in message

Isabel is bearing down on my raised beds. I've reinforced as best I
can, but I think they're toast.

Here's hoping for the best.

Right now, we are getting 60 mph gusts. we have lost several limbs off
our old maples, but amazingly our tomato cages are still standing, as of
yet. Best luck all. Len

Old 19-09-2003, 10:45 PM
len

"Tim Foecke" wrote in message

Isabel is bearing down on my raised beds. I've reinforced as best I
can, but I think they're toast.

Here's hoping for the best.

Well, now that she's gone, we have about on third tomatoes standing. We
just our power back, Thank God and Dominion Power. Lots of tree damage, not
as bad as it could have been, for sure. Some years ago , our apple tree,
second year, was flattened, now it is almost mature, and flattened again. I
am going to try staking it up again.
Isabel, was a true bitch.
Good luck to all. Len

Old 19-09-2003, 10:45 PM
Tim Foecke

In article 2gKab.16$sp2.4@lakeread04, len
wrote:

"Tim Foecke" wrote in message

Isabel is bearing down on my raised beds. I've reinforced as best I
can, but I think they're toast.

Here's hoping for the best.

Well, now that she's gone, we have about on third tomatoes standing. We
just our power back, Thank God and Dominion Power. Lots of tree damage, not
as bad as it could have been, for sure. Some years ago , our apple tree,
second year, was flattened, now it is almost mature, and flattened again. I
am going to try staking it up again.
Isabel, was a true bitch.
Good luck to all. Len

Actually, my tomatoes made it! They were sufficiently sheltered by the
neighbor's house. Never lost power, but that I'm Allegheny Power, and
they never seem to go out in my area (upcounty Montgomery Co, MD)

Old 20-09-2003, 12:32 PM
Pat Meadows

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 17:09:18 -0400, "len"
wrote:

Well, now that she's gone, we have about on third tomatoes standing. We
just our power back, Thank God and Dominion Power. Lots of tree damage, not
as bad as it could have been, for sure. Some years ago , our apple tree,
second year, was flattened, now it is almost mature, and flattened again. I
am going to try staking it up again.
Isabel, was a true bitch.

I'm glad it wasn't any worse at your place, but that's a
shame about the poor apple tree!

The storm had been forecast to pass right over us (north
central PA), but it veered off to the west before it got
here, so things were pretty mild he we had wind and
rain, but not in damaging amounts. Our power went off a few
times, but came right back on.

Pat

squirrels-proofing tomatoes George[_3_] Edible Gardening 16 17-09-2007 08:57 AM
Damp proofing ? Ivan the Spy United Kingdom 2 03-05-2006 12:12 PM
Cat-proofing a fence jamie Texas 1 09-10-2004 04:08 AM
Slip proofing decking n United Kingdom 22 30-09-2004 10:53 PM
Gopher-proofing? Jefffooz Gardening 1 29-03-2004 02:32 AM