Old 18-09-2003, 07:02 PM
rdoiron

Default Cool weather garlic

I'm looking for a nice garlic variety that will grow well in my neck
of the woods (Coastal northeast). Anyone have a particular favorite?

On a related note, the good folks at the nonprofit group Kitchen
Gardeners International have put up a new page on their website about
growing your own garlic...short, but quite informative:
http://www.kitchengardeners.org/growinggarlic.html
Old 18-09-2003, 08:27 PM
Pat Meadows

On 18 Sep 2003 10:53:12 -0700,
(rdoiron) wrote:

I'm looking for a nice garlic variety that will grow well in my neck
of the woods (Coastal northeast). Anyone have a particular favorite?

On a related note, the good folks at the nonprofit group Kitchen
Gardeners International have put up a new page on their website about
growing your own garlic...short, but quite informative:
http://www.kitchengardeners.org/growinggarlic.html

What a coincidence! You have the same name as the founder
of that organization! Fancy that.

I like your idea in founding KGI, but this sort of thing -
trying to conceal your association with the group in order
to get a plug in - is definitely going to hurt your cause.

Why not just say "I put a page about garlic at....' or just
have a reference to the web page in a .sig file?

Pat

Old 18-09-2003, 09:02 PM
Steve Calvin

Pat Meadows wrote:

On 18 Sep 2003 10:53:12 -0700,
(rdoiron) wrote:

I'm looking for a nice garlic variety that will grow well in my neck
of the woods (Coastal northeast). Anyone have a particular favorite?

On a related note, the good folks at the nonprofit group Kitchen
Gardeners International have put up a new page on their website about
growing your own garlic...short, but quite informative:
http://www.kitchengardeners.org/growinggarlic.html

What a coincidence! You have the same name as the founder
of that organization! Fancy that.

I like your idea in founding KGI, but this sort of thing -
trying to conceal your association with the group in order
to get a plug in - is definitely going to hurt your cause.

Why not just say "I put a page about garlic at....' or just
have a reference to the web page in a .sig file?

Pat

Thanks for the info Pat... so much for checking out that site. I don't
approve of "underhanded" posts... And I was gonna answer too...

--
Steve

Old 19-09-2003, 08:02 AM
Jan Flora

In article ,
(rdoiron) wrote:

I'm looking for a nice garlic variety that will grow well in my neck
of the woods (Coastal northeast). Anyone have a particular favorite?

Hit the website for Filaree Farm in Okanagan, WA. The only thing they
sell is organic garlic, but they have about 50 varieties in stock this year.
www.filareefarm.com

I just got my shipment of hardneck and porcelein varieties to plant.
Beautiful stock. They shipped monday, 9/15. The box got to the PO
in Alaska on tuesday, 9/16.

These are the varieties I'm planting tomorrow:
Russian Red, Siberian, Killarney Red, Germany, and Romanian Red.

Cheers,

Jan, USDA zone 4, coastal Alaska
Old 19-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Pat Meadows

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 19:43:57 GMT, Steve Calvin
wrote:

Thanks for the info Pat... so much for checking out that site. I don't
approve of "underhanded" posts... And I was gonna answer too...

The website is interesting, and an idea worthy of support,
and well-executed too (for a start, obviously it's just a
beginning).

So I figure I'll give him a second chance: maybe in his
enthusiasm, he just got carried away and/or doesn't know the
ways of newsgroups and didn't realize this wasn't acceptable
behavior.

Pat

Old 19-09-2003, 03:32 PM
Gary Woods

Pat Meadows wrote:

Why not just say "I put a page about garlic at....'

Well, now that you bring the subject up.....
Personal page, in my .sig below, with garlic information of questionable
usefulness.
But most of you probably knew that.

Just rainy and windy in upstate New York: not even that much rain so far

Old 19-09-2003, 04:02 PM
Pat Meadows

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 10:26:30 -0400, Gary Woods
wrote:

Pat Meadows wrote:

Why not just say "I put a page about garlic at....'

Well, now that you bring the subject up.....
Personal page, in my .sig below, with garlic information of questionable
usefulness.
But most of you probably knew that.

Just rainy and windy in upstate New York: not even that much rain so far

Same here in north central PA - the worst of the storm is
evidently going west of us. Our power's been on-and-off all
last night and today, though.

Pat
Old 20-09-2003, 07:22 AM
Noydb

Jan Flora wrote:

I just got my shipment of hardneck and porcelein varieties to plant.
Beautiful stock. They shipped monday, 9/15. The box got to the PO
in Alaska on tuesday, 9/16.

I'll second that. They kept their promise about delivery time and the garlic
arrived looking just great!

Even though I hope to parlay this garlic into some side cash, Filaree Farms
will probably get additional business from me next year.

Bill
--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Legs is cool Larry Smith Lawns 0 28-03-2003 08:20 AM
Cool Gardens Uba Tuba Ponds 0 06-02-2003 01:02 AM
Cool Garden Uba Tuba Gardening 0 06-02-2003 01:01 AM