Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19-09-2003, 05:42 PM

Default Stake or no stake tomato (2/2)

they become a problem. I like cages (the heavy gauge, farm-grade,
stackable ones, not those dippy things that bend) for certain tomato
varieties, especially ones that have a tendency to produce huge
tomatoes. I like some of my tomatoes not so huge lol and caging them
accomplishes that. But we stake three times as many as we cage.

I like the sound of the farm-grade cages. Where would a person find such a thing?

Where, indeed?

I've done caging and staking, and now do a combo-variation. I put cages over the
plants in the spring. They grow in a single row in a slightly curved bed. When they
start to spill over their cages, I build a bamboo/plastic tie seal uber-cage around
the whole row. As the season grows on I can add more horizonals and diagonals as
needed. Very sturdy and lightweight. I sometimes build them for my English Roses as
well. It's hard to describe, but I have pictures of the tomatoes in their uber-cage
throughout the season on my Edibles page:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/great/tempee.html

For the past few years I've visually documented my garden. Each month I add
pictures of some of the highlights. There are links to the flower garden from the
Edibles page if anyone is interested.

Thanks for a great show. Your pictures are fantastic and so, it
seems, is the produce. I really enjoyed this photo-trip.

--

Persephone