Old 24-09-2003, 10:17 PM
Hobby Gardener

Location: Harrow, Middx
Default Bean seed question

This is posted on behalf of Paul.

Hello!

This year, for the first time, I grew both French Beans and Runner Beans, the seeds having been given to me by a friend - which he had left over in two packets.

The packets have since disappeared - but the beans were VERY successful and we are still enjoying my dual - crop. However - I would like to try and grow next year from MY BEANS which I have harvested for some months.

Can you tell me the 'golden' rules of growing beans from my own seeds?

One mistake I did make was to mix the seeds when I planted them and the 'wigwams' had interwoven beans mixed together. Nevertheless, I have been watering them well and reaped the super harvest regularly. I would love to be able to say that I used MY OWN seeds for next year.

I hope you don't mind me bothering you - but would greatly appreciate your help - incidentally, so would my grandchildren, in particular Lara, who have devoured kilos of the beans after picking them for us.
Old 24-09-2003, 11:02 PM
Gary Woods

kevinmiddleton wrote:

Can you tell me the 'golden' rules of growing beans from my own seeds?

Beans pretty much pollinate themselves, so there's not too much crossing.
Let the beans get fully mature and dry on the vine, then harvest and plant.

Lots more at www.seedsavers.org.

For me at least, Suzanne Ashworth's "Seed to Seed" is the Holy Writ.

Old 25-09-2003, 01:02 PM

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 17:54:47 -0400, Gary Woods
wrote:

kevinmiddleton wrote:

Can you tell me the 'golden' rules of growing beans from my own seeds?

Beans pretty much pollinate themselves, so there's not too much crossing.
Let the beans get fully mature and dry on the vine, then harvest and plant.

Lots more at www.seedsavers.org.

For me at least, Suzanne Ashworth's "Seed to Seed" is the Holy Writ.

Isn't that a terrific book? Really great.

Pat
--
To email me, remove the obvious word,
and type my first name in its place.